Carbs Versus EFI....

-

Rat Bastid

Dunamis Metron
Reaction score
Here is what Pro Stock champion Greg Anderson has to say. The whole interview is very good but the carb/EFI part starts at about 12:10. Very interesting.

The 10,500 rpm limit change and where they pick up air from is killing them. I wholeheartedly agree with his statement that if they could pic up air from the top of the hood and run two big throttle bodies AND wind the engines up where they want to that they’d be well ahead of the carburetors in the hp dept.

I like to hear Jason Line’s opinion on the same subject.

The 10,500 rpm limit change and where they pick up air from is killing them. I wholeheartedly agree with his statement that if they could pic up air from the top of the hood and run two big throttle bodies AND wind the engines up where they want to that they’d be well ahead of the carburetors in the hp dept.

I’d love to see it. The only way EFI can compete is if it’s a throttle body. Even if they pull the air through a scoop it will make more power as a throttle body.

Bear in mind that this question was directed to a very specific niche: NHRA Pro Stock racing.

My opinion. NHRA is a bunch of shitheads. "Competition?" REALLY? I don't remember the details but the EFI used in pro stock is INCREDIBLY restricted, limited, regulated. Unless this has changed, racers MUST USE ONLY a Holley certain part number engine controller. They MUST use ONLY a certain throttle body. I don't remember what all else

HOW IS THAT COMPETITION?

That would be like if NXRX came along and said, "OK racers, next season EVERY body has to run a 2XXX Chevrolet LS engine, with *** factory stock EFI or some damn thing.

Also bear in mind that I am not particularly for or against carb/ EFI. My Dart, last it ran had Holley TBI EFI on it. When/ if I live long enough to get it fired up again, it "may" run for a short time with a carb, simply because "that might be" the easiest way to get it rolling. But in just a few days/ weeks, the EFI would go "right back on."

Bear in mind that this question was directed to a very specific niche: NHRA Pro Stock racing.

My opinion. NHRA is a bunch of shitheads. "Competition?" REALLY? I don't remember the details but the EFI used in pro stock is INCREDIBLY restricted, limited, regulated. Unless this has changed, racers MUST USE ONLY a Holley certain part number engine controller. They MUST use ONLY a certain throttle body. I don't remember what all else

HOW IS THAT COMPETITION?

That would be like if NXRX came along and said, "OK racers, next season EVERY body has to run a 2XXX Chevrolet LS engine, with *** factory stock EFI or some damn thing.

Also bear in mind that I am not particularly for or against carb/ EFI. My Dart, last it ran had Holley TBI EFI on it. When/ if I live long enough to get it fired up again, it "may" run for a short time with a carb, simply because "that might be" the easiest way to get it rolling. But in just a few days/ weeks, the EFI would go "right back on."

That’s true. That’s why they should have said run any EFI or carbs, scoop or no scoop. But NHRA is not into competition. They copy nascar and it’s a shame.

-
Back