Carlisle ended up being good and bad....

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
First the good - got our yearly visit with our yearly Carlisle friends on site. All good as usual! Picked up the following for myself: $15 left tail light assembly for my 05 Ram for, $25 for a 64/65 grill B'cuda center (stole it), $30 for a right side 68 B'cuda grill with the left side parking light as well and a couple of t shirts. Jake found his transfer case for his 01 Ram for $150 and the guy removed it from the truck for him.
Now the bad - Saturday after the show, we went to Walmart and a pizza place. The 65 cut out while backing in a parking space. No biggie, so we thought. After dinner, leave the pizza place and half-mile later the car dies. Hmmmmmm. No spark. Then all of a sudden she fires up. Cool. 1/4 mile later we are dead again. Pointed to the ballast resistor. Swapped it out and the car runs better than it did all day. Cool. 3 miles later, dead again and now lost all power to the inside, no brake lights, headlights, no starter .....but the radio and gauges still worked.
Had AAA tow us to the Campground. Roll off the truck still dead. Got up 5am, took the camper home and returned 4 hours later with the trailer. Car starts and drives onto the trailer then dies and no spark.....

1st thing we will check tomorrow is the bulkhead connection and go from there.

Bummer.........

Yeah, that's rough... (weak fusible link maybe?)
lookin' for a Grille Center if you end up with an extra!

Yall made it home alive and with all your stuff.

Check for small hole here on rotor or corrosion in distributor cap.
I’ve had this happen before. The hole expands and the spark goes through or weakens. Then when it cools enough you can drive it until it expands again then the car dies again.
FCE96C0D-9EFB-48A9-996F-9D87AFAB0360.jpeg

Last edited:
Yall made it home alive and with all your stuff.
Yeah I'm really glad I didn't read..
"and the car was missing when we came out from eating dinner"

To think of all the tools that I used to carry around in the car on the regular..and I just got plain sick of carrying around stuff ...then things like this happen and you're like 'dang if I only had my multimeter, my tool kit, bfh,floor jack...lmao .. I could have figured this out'

Yeah I'm really glad I didn't read..
"and the car was missing when we came out from eating dinner"

To think of all the tools that I used to carry around in the car on the regular..and I just got plain sick of carrying around stuff ...then things like this happen and you're like 'dang if I only had my multimeter, my tool kit, bfh,floor jack...lmao .. I could have figured this out'
Yup, but in this day and time, rather than figure it out, you could be robbed for everything you had.

First the good - got our yearly visit with our yearly Carlisle friends on site. All good as usual! Picked up the following for myself: $15 left tail light assembly for my 05 Ram for, $25 for a 64/65 grill B'cuda center (stole it), $30 for a right side 68 B'cuda grill with the left side parking light as well and a couple of t shirts. Jake found his transfer case for his 01 Ram for $150 and the guy removed it from the truck for him.
Now the bad - Saturday after the show, we went to Walmart and a pizza place. The 65 cut out while backing in a parking space. No biggie, so we thought. After dinner, leave the pizza place and half-mile later the car dies. Hmmmmmm. No spark. Then all of a sudden she fires up. Cool. 1/4 mile later we are dead again. Pointed to the ballast resistor. Swapped it out and the car runs better than it did all day. Cool. 3 miles later, dead again and now lost all power to the inside, no brake lights, headlights, no starter .....but the radio and gauges still worked.
Had AAA tow us to the Campground. Roll off the truck still dead. Got up 5am, took the camper home and returned 4 hours later with the trailer. Car starts and drives onto the trailer then dies and no spark.....

1st thing we will check tomorrow is the bulkhead connection and go from there.

Bummer.........

best reason not to run 40-60 yr old wiring !

Same thing happened to me several times. I'm replacing my underdash harness(and more), but I think the issue was ign switch connections.

I'm not trying to chastise you at all, here. But consider learning to "hot wire" the car. Mopars are amoung the easiest cars on the planet to "jump." Along with whatever little tool kit you have, carry a 12V test lamp and a basic multimeter, AND 2 or 3 "jumper" alligator clip leads. Check these "BEFORE." You want some with big enough clips that they have some "grip" and not so "Chineseoationized" that they will fall apart. Also, many of the cheap "made up" leads you buy ARE NOT soldered and NOT really adequately crimped. Make sure the wire is large enough to carry some current. Or just find/ buy some clips and make some

"I guess"? you carry a ballast? You are halfway there. You can "rig" the clip leads from the starter relay "stud" to your spare ballast, and to the coil +. Disconnect one / either wire at the mounted ballast.

If it runs, great. If it runs but does not charge, THIS SHOWS YOU that the problem is somewhere in the harness and that the VR is not getting power Both the ignition and VR get power from the "ignition run" line.

I made up an "emergency" ignition for a Mopar breakerless setup. This is a small project box "I had," a GM HEI module, and a Mopar coil. I've used this more for starting up junk engines but the original purpose was "backup." You connect to the dist, ground, and battery and off you go

hwlcfa-jpg.jpg

i had a '69 Swinger that would run briefly and quit and it turned out to be the control model?
Easy check if you have converted yours to electronic ignition.

We haven't looked at it in depth yet. He needed to get the transfer case swapped out in his truck Sunday to go to work today.

Del, I. With you on the hot wire the car thing. Piece of cake. Except at times we lost all lights, start/crank ability. But not the dash or radio.

And yes, always carry a spare ballast, voltage regulator and control module.

If electronic ignition I would heavely suspect a pick up or ECU, especially when you said you replaced the ballast and it ran better, Prob a lower ohm one more matched to the ecu.

Except that wouldn't explain intermittent no crank issue that also developed. BTW - had the ballast cured it Friday eve, we were omimg to you for another spare. Lol
If electronic ignition I would heavely suspect a pick up or ECU, especially when you said you replaced the ballast and it ran better, Prob a lower ohm one more matched to the ecu.

They are weird they hit a certain temp and cut out cool off a bit and run fine. Did not catch the no crank issue.

I made up an "emergency" ignition for a Mopar breakerless setup. This is a small project box "I had," a GM HEI module, and a Mopar coil. I've used this more for starting up junk engines but the original purpose was "backup." You connect to the dist, ground, and battery and off you go

View attachment 1715956984
Id like one of those, could you post a parts list for the "box" , and a schematic
Thank you

Well it has not fixed itself yet..... LOL. Jake has not had time to diagnose it yet, but I had to roll it out of the garage so I could paint the Shelby. Simply drifted it out without trying to start it. 9 hours later, I need to move it 15 ft. Fires right up. Another hour later time to put it away. Crank, crank, crank, no fire except for a very short burst when letting off the key. 2 attempts later and it fires up. Park it, shut it down and won't restart. Maybe next week we'll get into it and start figuring it out. Waiting on Jake. He won't learn if I do it all for him.

Well it has not fixed itself yet..... LOL. Jake has not had time to diagnose it yet, but I had to roll it out of the garage so I could paint the Shelby. Simply drifted it out without trying to start it. 9 hours later, I need to move it 15 ft. Fires right up. Another hour later time to put it away. Crank, crank, crank, no fire except for a very short burst when letting off the key. 2 attempts later and it fires up. Park it, shut it down and won't restart. Maybe next week we'll get into it and start figuring it out. Waiting on Jake. He won't learn if I do it all for him.
Ignition switch ???

Just a quick update to say there is no update.
Jake started summer classes the week after Carlisle and is taking 4 classes this semester and still working full time while buying a house. He might have time the 1st weekend of July ne t summer.... LOL

-
Back