Carpet install

-

ajarofclay

Reaction score
Not sure if I am doing this correctly but here goes... I purchased some ACC carpet and am not all that enamored with it. much of the jute padding is bunched up an adhesived that way. The rear wasn't too bad of an install as I only glued where the jute slips into the floor pan for the most part. Now to the front... A bit of a b*tch to fit. I have a console and did a pretty good job of centering and initiating the cut but according to the jute location it seems there was quite a bit extra material up front. I don't mind the sides as it's easy to get to but the front runs into all the pedals, ducts, wash pump and dimmer switch. I took the dimmer and pump out but it was still a bear to fit because you can't pull it in place while you're laying on it and you have to lay on it the reach and fight the forward end. All that said, I've trimmed the forward end about 2 inches or so and I'm pretty close but was wondering if the dimmer switch should mount above the final install or under with a hole cut for it, which I think would suck. Also, with the jute located where I feel it is best and the heel pad also. the cut outs in the jute for the pump and dimmer (I believe) are off by a couple of inches. If I move it up that far the heel pad will be turning upward. I apologize for the unnecessary info and appreciate any help given...

I don't have a washer pump there on my 75, but got a grommet with my carpet (Trim Parts brand)for the high beam switch
2016-07-02-21-08-49-jpg.jpg

Get a 1" copper coupling, put it in vise grip. Mark hole for dimmer. Heat coupling with torch and melt hole in carpet. Put plastic gromet in hole and slip over dimmer switch. Done

Just did mine also-74 Duster. I cut about 2 inches off all the way across the top edge before completely installing the front section. You have that pre-formed hole for the dimmer, so it can only go in one place

Just did mine also-74 Duster. I cut about 2 inches off all the way across the top edge before completely installing the front section. You have that pre-formed hole for the dimmer, so it can only go in one place
My carpet had no holes, you lucked out.

Get a 1" copper coupling, put it in vise grip. Mark hole for dimmer. Heat coupling with torch and melt hole in carpet. Put plastic gromet in hole and slip over dimmer switch. Done

Great idea! I accomplished the same thing using a soldering iron. I got the carpet lined up in its final position and then used the soldering iron from underneath the car to burn out the holes for the seat bolts. I used an awl from the top to locate the screw holes for the dimmer switch and the foot pump and then used the soldering iron to enlarge the holes. Works great for making holes as it melts the carpet together and prevents fraying.

Great idea! I accomplished the same thing using a soldering iron. I got the carpet lined up in its final position and then used the soldering iron from underneath the car to burn out the holes for the seat bolts. I used an awl from the top to locate the screw holes for the dimmer switch and the foot pump and then used the soldering iron to enlarge the holes. Works great for making holes as it melts the carpet together and prevents fraying.
Yep I used soldering iron for the other holes too. The fraying was my concern. I also used heavy velcro on the edges to keep everything lined up for final trimming.

I had to put a hole in mine too, but after putting in the grommet, it interfered with the switch. Had to adjust it around to get it to work.

I like the idea of the grommet but doesn't the switch underneath lump it up. Mine is at least a half inch tall or better. Best place to find a grommet like that?

My grommet came with the carpet.
Ahh, thanks. Yeah, I don't think mine ever had anything like that, even originally. I have a feeling mine was originally mounted on top of the carpet though I can't remember because as an IDIOT young man, 40 years ago I put some gross fur carpet in it. (Don't judge me!) :)

Any chance that you have pictures of the fur carpet? LOL
Man I miss those days of “whatinthehelldidhedotothatcar?”

Any chance that you have pictures of the fur carpet? LOL
Man I miss those days of “whatinthehelldidhedotothatcar?”
Had all white interior but I couldn't keep it clean. Changed it all to black in custom fashion. Now changing it all back. I'd go into details but I'm embarrassed for myself already.

-
Back