carpet pics please - gas pedal area

-

zkx14

Duster De-ruster
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Its been too many years since I pulled the remaining shreds of carpet out. Would like to see pics of how the carpet goes at the gas pedal. I'm sure I could get it in there, but if there is a 'factory','right' or 'best' way to cut and place it I'd rather not re-invent the wheel. Thanks

This could use a cut but it settled some after this was taken.....

i37334-jpg.1714918103

I replaced my carpet last year, it was a little bit of a hassle, folded up in the box as such. Work the carpet outward from the center of the car, (trans hump towards the doors). I used a steam cleaner which I purchased from HR and a body dolly to help smooth out the folds. When you think you have the folds out, take your time and start trimming the outer edges of the carpet, small cuts....use sharp razors, it will be much easier and faster. Then use a pencil type soldering iron to make holes
DSCN1418.JPG
in the carpet for seat bolt holes and trans shifter boot holes.

I replaced my carpet last year, it was a little bit of a hassle, folded up in the box as such. Work the carpet outward from the center of the car, (trans hump towards the doors). I used a steam cleaner which I purchased from HR and a body dolly to help smooth out the folds. When you think you have the folds out, take your time and start trimming the outer edges of the carpet, small cuts....use sharp razors, it will be much easier and faster. Then use a pencil type soldering iron to make holesView attachment 1714944237 in the carpet for seat bolt holes and trans shifter boot holes.
Is the arm of the pedal going through the carpet? That's the part that I am most concerned about. I searched for other threads on this and found a couple mentioning carpet interfering with pedal or concerns about it. but none that explained how it should be done. The carpet (still in box) was stored in the rafters of my garage for a few years. I layed it out in the car last weekend and it is relaxing pretty good in the heat. Car sits out in the sun closed up, so it gets quite toasty. I did see the tip on melting the holes through somewhere, but thanks for the reminder.

2016-06-12 19.59.30.jpg

That is what I needed to see. I would still like to see what the factory did, but it seems most of us rip the original carpet out immediately upon delivery. lol

Here's a photo of what it looks like around the gas pedal. It's sagged down an inch or so but it's the original carpet in my '75 Scamp.

Here's a photo of what it looks like around the gas pedal. It's sagged down an inch or so but it's the original carpet in my '75 Scamp.

Certainly looks like that started out about like what Dicer showed above. THANKS

Here's what I ended up with. The large cut to the left of the column was an oops. Somethin about being upside down using a razor knife... Decided to go with it and make one cleaner cut around that and the pedal. I will darken up the pad underneath on firewall yet.

2016-07-02 21.08.49.jpg

We just installed one. 4spd. We had to trim up behind the heater core so it would slip up behind more and leave the heater core loose. We did not cut around the gas pedal or anything in that area . We just slit the carpet to go around everything and moved it forward . Floor mats usually cover the heal pad You can heat the back of the carpet with a heat gun to remold it I'll get better pictures when I get over to the car.

I am going to be doing a customers Demon 4spd car soon. That is how I will do that also. My car I will fit the carpet with the dash and heater core out and trim it even with the firewall insulation. We bought a couple carpet sets at Carlisle. Not positive but .I believe they are Auto Custom Carpets "ACC" They were big enough to do a C-body.

100_0020 (2).JPG

100_0045 (3).JPG

100_0055 (2).JPG

I replaced my carpet last year, it was a little bit of a hassle, folded up in the box as such. Work the carpet outward from the center of the car, (trans hump towards the doors). I used a steam cleaner which I purchased from HR and a body dolly to help smooth out the folds. When you think you have the folds out, take your time and start trimming the outer edges of the carpet, small cuts....use sharp razors, it will be much easier and faster. Then use a pencil type soldering iron to make holes

View attachment 1714944237 in the carpet for seat bolt holes and trans shifter boot holes.
I use a carpet knife.... bout 14 bucks with some bladed at Lowes

A tip that I found useful—- after I got the first hole where I wanted it (near center of car) andmelted through, I installed a bolt with fender washers (slightly snug is good enough) I continued to do this with all available holes. This allowed me to pull, and stretch the carpet into other areas without it moving from points that I was satisfied with.
Yote

-
Back