Carter AFB accelerator pump needle removal

-

65 Cuda 340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Have a Carter AFB on my slant six, OEM for a 62 318 poly. Bought it NOS a few years ago. Well, it's been sitting for a few months, big surprise the accelerator pump isn't working. (The needles and seats leaked, too, but I fixed that.) So, pulled the carb apart. Pump piston is in good shape, inside of the carb looks reasonably clean, pulled the squirter off to look underneath. The brass needle wasn't moving when I manually pushed down the accelerator pump piston. Pulled that out, tried squirting carb cleaner into the port to the squirter. Brass needle didn't move.

So, with the top of the carb removed, as well as the two venturis that have tubes sticking up, I turned the base upside down and banged it onto my workbench a few times. Needle still didn't move. Tried a few more times. Needle is still stuck.

I've never had one stuck so bad it wouldn't fall out with this method.

There's nothing to grab the needle with, and it's not magnetic. Right now I'm thinking if I just squirt carb cleaner onto it and let it soak, it may eventually loosen up. Anyone got any other ideas?

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. The brass needle is sitting in the top hole of the four holes at center bottom.

20221004_213301.jpg

Thanks for the responses. Compressed air sounded good enough for me to try. Still the needle didn't budge. But I don't think the black cone tip of my compressed air fitting is getting a very good shot at the port. I'm having a car club meeting at my house this Saturday and need to pull the Valiant out of the garage, so for now will probably put the carburetor back together. After the meeting, I can take the carb apart again and see if I can figure out how best to get compressed air into the fuel port of the accelerator pump good enough to force the needle out.

Still have other things to do to get ready for the meeting.

Get a sharp pick and stick it in the top of the needle and try gently rocking it back and forth in the bore. Spray some penetrating oil in too. That's how I've gotten several out that were stuck.

I got it out! Squirted a little more carb cleaner onto the needle before mowing the back yard. When I was done mowing, I came back to the carb, turned it upside down again, rapped it into my work bench 2-3 times, then when I turned the carb back over, the needle was sitting on the bench. Cleaned it up a bit, put the carb back together and into the car. Taking a break for a bit before trying to start it.

Great news! Nice to see one of these great & underrated carbs back in action.

-
Back