Carter AFB

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
I just started to restore my 65 Barracuda Formula S. I pulled the carb and can't see any numbers for a rebuild kit. I took the top of the carb off as the Walker Rep said if I didn't see any outside to look there. The insides are dry and have alot of trash. Where should I find the numbers and I feel this is the original carb, should I stay with it or look for something else? I see some numbers that appear to be casting numbers. What type number am I looking for?
I've read the comments on the different aftermarket carbs and tend to stay with what I have, but am open to suggestions as you guys know a lot more than I do.
Advise Please.

I would check the main throttle shaft for wear, if it has wiggle and play in it a rebuild may not help much, it will suck air, But there may be a way to repair this.
I had one on a 383 years ago and packed the shaft with grease when I first got it and ran good. My self I like the old AFB Carters
I hope a good tech will jump in here and help you find the # location and advise you on where to find it.

The numbers to look for are stamped on the face of the carb's mounting pad. Demonsizzler (Search the screen name) should be able to get you the right kit for this operation.

Should you opt. for a new carb, the Edelbrock AFB is an excellent replacement, also accepted as a NHRA replacement and 50 state leagal carb. For a 273 engine, a 500 cfm unit will be great. A 318 could use this size as well. A 600 would also work on a 318.
I have noted that the early engines, big block or small block, they use the 600 cfm carb. The HP 440 got the 750 cfm carb.

IMO, you can swing on a Thunder series AVS style carb from Edelbrock and no one would know the difference. IMO, it's a better performer than the AFB. It does cost a little more though.

When rebuilding the carb yourself, the carb should be fully dunked in the carb soulution for a day or 2 and washed off with the garden hose, then compressed air dried. You'll need to make sure the small passages are clear of anything. The throttle shafts must be tight. IF not, they can be re-bushed.

I found the number after some cleaning. I may be better having this one rebuilt. I talked with a man in La Porte, Texas. It was Carbs and more. Any other suggestions of who does a good job.

-
Back