Carter BBD Question?

-

Mr onetwo

Reaction score
I am rebuilding a Carter 1 1/4" BBD to go on my 1970 Fury III convertible with a 318. It is a #4608s from a '69 Fury.I have the proper #346C SMP kit for it.The inlet check ball for the accelerator pump has a retainer on it that is not shown in any literature, factory or otherwise. How do I remove this retainer cage to replace the ball without damaging the carb and is it even necessary? Or should I just leave it alone and not replace the ball at all?

Capture.JPG

I think the cage will pull right out with a hook tool. Just pushed in. You could fill the cavity to see if a leak is happening. If it holds, leave it be.
I have needed to tap the new ball against the cleaned pot metal seat to correct the seat shape. A check ball in Fords 1985 2.8 V6 was a common problem. They would run way too rich. Owners wouldn't bring them in until they flooded out While idling. Screwed up the cat' convertors and oxy sensors. Anyway... They do distort in some carbs. I imagine it could happen in any. Just one tiny spec of foreign material embedded in the pot metal.
Professional rebuild shops have ball end mills to touch/dress with. We do what we can with what we have.

That is the accelerator pump check ball clean it good with carb cleaner and leave the cage alone . It is swedged in the carb. Do you have a local shop who can sonic clean the carb. They look like new when done.

There are no shops anywhere near...Maine is a wasteland for this stuff.If the cage is swedged to the body how do you replace the check ball if it leaks?

There are no shops anywhere near...Maine is a wasteland for this stuff.If the cage is swedged to the body how do you replace the check ball if it leaks?
Remove it and throw it away. Most of them don't have it anymore. Not needed if you replace it with the heavier steel ball. That ball is probably not magnetic. Check it. Sonic cleaners are the Cats Meow.

I just had a guy with that 65 . His glove box door lock same as a A-body console lock was froze. They soaked it in every kind of penetrating oil they had. While the car was here he asked me if I could try fixing it. My son just put a strong solution in the sonic cleaner and was doing bike cases. I threw it in for 20 min. It came out looking and working like new.

You can pick a small good one up pretty cheap they are around $2000 . Most shops have them know. The one my son wants now is $5000-$8000. He'll fit big V8's in it. I probably wont be able to touch that one. He'll scold me if I get that much fluid dirty with my junk. If he feels its warm he knows I had my fingers on it. LOL

If you take it apart, I wouldn't spend time figuring it out, gravity will keep it in there, cuz,you know, it's at the bottom,lol. Besides, that ball is the INLET check, so even if it hangs up somewhere it will just give you a hesutation or a bog when you slam the pedal down.
Wait; it is the inlet check isn't it?
Carter Carburetor Check Ball Retainer

Last edited:
I suppose the little square opposite your arrow could be where the cage is/was staked in place. If so, its easy enough to whittle/defeat a stake in the casting. Aint no way to permanently attach to cast metal, swedge or otherwise. Look closely at that little square. Is there a tool mark in it? Is the cast metal distorted over the edge of the cage?

Is all the edge rolled around cage ? if so if you pull up on bar holding ball in place to try and reduce outer Dia of cage and pull out of rolled material..Then clean up with Dremel tool so cage fits .Once you have cage seated well hold it tight in well with a clamp or some thing.Then use a center punch to tap punch marks on carb casting to swell out Material to hold cage in place

I've seen those cages in the kits. Looks like the inlet to the accelerator pump. If it is free and not damaged I would hit it with carb cleaner and move on.

-
Back