Carter BBD type for 68 barracuda 318

-

Stihl011

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 68 barracuda that I know no history on, but am pretty sure has had numerous changes/pseudo restoration.

I was rebuilding the carb and screwed it up, so I'm looking to replace it, but its not obvious to me which carb is correct/will fit, and the pictures of parts I'm seeing online don't look much like the carb I have

The one that came on the car when I bought it looks like this.
upload_2019-3-9_15-13-12.png

The one in the service manual doesn't look like it, its shown below, big differences around the accelerator plunger, and no vent.
upload_2019-3-9_15-12-27.png

Any one have any ideas if this is the original carb, of if there is one out there that fits. Ebay has lots of BBD carbs, but I'm nervous to trust their tool that tells me it fits (been burned before)

Carburetor Fit MOPAR 1966-1973 Dodge Plymouth C2 BBD 273 318 ENGINE 2BBL CARTER | eBay

I have a 68 barracuda that I know no history on,
Does the car still have its fender tag and/or certicard? If so, folks can help decode it. Its always fun to see what the car came with.

I was rebuilding the carb and screwed it up, so I'm looking to replace it,
Are you sure whatever you did is unfixable? I'm not saying its worth it but it might be. Somewhat depends on your goals.

and the pictures of parts I'm seeing online don't look much like the carb I have
Yes. I don't trust those listings either. How correct (original) do you want? or do you just want functional?
we can look in a parts book to confirm what would have been on there if no one knows off the top of their head.

H'm. Kindof what I thought. Quick look inthe '68 parts book shows only 2 bbl Carters for the 318s.
What's the carb pad on the intake look like?

Does the car still have its fender tag and/or certicard? If so, folks can help decode it. Its always fun to see what the car came with.

Are you sure whatever you did is unfixable? I'm not saying its worth it but it might be. Somewhat depends on your goals.

Yes. I don't trust those listings either. How correct (original) do you want? or do you just want functional?
we can look in a parts book to confirm what would have been on there if no one knows off the top of their head.

upload_2019-3-9_15-35-48.png

I looked it up once. From what I remember, its an original 318 in the original color, but the interior has been redone in black, because it was originally blue, including as you can see the engine compartment re-painted at some point.

Carb is probably not unfixable, but sure a pain in the *** if I can get a replacement for $80. I got ahead of myself and tried to take the screws for the choke flap off, which of course are riveted in, and they broke. If I had read the damned manual before hand, there was a warning about it.

Because so much work has already been done on the car, including disc brake conversion, I figure I don't really care to keep it original, its been a liberating decision.

H'm. Kindof what I thought. Quick look inthe '68 parts book shows only 2 bbl Carters for the 318s.
What's the carb pad on the intake look like?

Im not 100% sure what you mean by carb pad but I think this is what you want. Its a BBD for sure, not sure which specific kind.

There is another thing I'm not sure about. two of the place to fasten the old car are for bolts and the others are studs. Not sure if that's normal or not, manual wasn't too much help on that one. I kinda theorized that maybe someone had stripped out bolts and some point and re-threaded the holes and put in studs.

upload_2019-3-9_15-51-25.png

Yea. The one the ad is not the same as what you had or what was originally there (4420 S or 4421 S according to the book). Its more like a general aftermarket replacement for any BBD. It would be nice to know more - like who makes it and other people's experience with them.

Looks like the car was always 318 with automatic.

Last edited:

Ditto about those EBay listing accuracies/honesty re detail.
Eg some turkey bid up on a Proxy reserve bid, after the seller wouldn't cough up with the I.D. code clearly visible in 1 Pic, ( Ford Motor craft 4bbl 4300 supposed 302W factory Carb ) Got back AFTER the bidder up win, only for me to decipher the Code as a '72 429ci Big Block Carb, not a '68-69 302W 4bbl - NO 4bbl 302's in '72 unless a Blardy Boss eng) When I came back with the Type of Ford Code it Should have had "C" something & you stated off Running 302 - might well have been BUT why did you remove it ??? & I bet it was running Bog Rich & thirsty as a Sailor on ya sister & lo & behold NO reply except a Cancelled Auction ( then history check showed he'd 4 days prior listing SOLD for near 1/2 $$ less - Hustler (No wonder he shutup until after close ).
So if the Carb fellow isn't sure what he's buying & has a budget approx $80 , suggest he views EBay seller drewvanracer if you don't mind upgrading with a bolt on Holley Same as the later '70's 318's , he had some noa 318 & Economaster 2280 type Holley's in his inventory. Same as in pic. I've dealt with him & fronts up wi5h the Goods as described.
Re the Accel pump Shaft: there was 2 types used 1/ yours with Round Rod & 2nd type with a Flat pump shaft like the 1bbl bbs's.
Good luck in your search.
Trev.PS the Holley Economaster & the Same lookingvOEM Holley's don't have the Bowl vent tube, if you don't like look off them: this model/type Carb has a slightly bigger set of Venturi's, but Same size throttle blades, for a tad more top end power.
Screenshot_2019-02-04-03-06-06.png
Screenshot_2019-02-04-03-06-22.png

Screenshot_2018-05-10-23-41-18.png

Screenshot_2019-03-10-06-10-28.png

Ditto about those EBay listing accuracies/honesty re detail.
Eg some turkey bid up on a Proxy reserve bid, after the seller wouldn't cough up with the I.D. code clearly visible in 1 Pic, ( Ford Motor craft 4bbl 4300 supposed 302W factory Carb ) Got back AFTER the bidder up win, only for me to decipher the Code as a '72 429ci Big Block Carb, not a '68-69 302W 4bbl - NO 4bbl 302's in '72 unless a Blardy Boss eng) When I came back with the Type of Ford Code it Should have had "C" something & you stated off Running 302 - might well have been BUT why did you remove it ??? & I bet it was running Bog Rich & thirsty as a Sailor on ya sister & lo & behold NO reply except a Cancelled Auction ( then history check showed he'd 4 days prior listing SOLD for near 1/2 $$ less - Hustler (No wonder he shutup until after close ).
So if the Carb fellow isn't sure what he's buying & has a budget approx $80 , suggest he views EBay seller drewvanracer if you don't mind upgrading with a bolt on Holley Same as the later '70's 318's , he had some noa 318 & Economaster 2280 type Holley's in his inventory. Same as in pic. I've dealt with him & fronts up wi5h the Goods as described.
Re the Accel pump Shaft: there was 2 types used 1/ yours with Round Rod & 2nd type with a Flat pump shaft like the 1bbl bbs's.
Good luck in your search.
Trev.PS the Holley Economaster & the Same lookingvOEM Holley's don't have the Bowl vent tube, if you don't like look off them: this model/type Carb has a slightly bigger set of Venturi's, but Same size throttle blades, for a tad more top end power.
View attachment 1715301055 View attachment 1715301056

View attachment 1715301054

View attachment 1715301059
Disregard that Mustang 4180 Holley 4bbl, that Pic "Gatecrashed" the Party :-O

Screenshot_2019-03-10-06-11-12.png

2 BBL 5E08.JPG

2 BBL 7G07.JPG

I got ahead of myself and tried to take the screws for the choke flap off, which of course are riveted in, and they broke
Been there done that. Drill out the buggers and replace the screws, not too much trouble. Punch the ends to prevent them from coming out Probably loctite would work too.

regarding studs vs bolts I have 4 studs.

Regarding the carb, look in your FSM and it should have the carb number listed at least in 67 it does. interestingly the 66 and earlier BBD is a bit different than the 67 and later for some of the fast idle / choke linkage etc.

67 Dart 273
20190309_074631.jpg

66 and earlier 273
20190309_074855.jpg

Been there done that. Drill out the buggers and replace the screws, not too much trouble. Punch the ends to prevent them from coming out Probably loctite would work too.

regarding studs vs bolts I have 4 studs.

Regarding the carb, look in your FSM and it should have the carb number listed at least in 67 it does. interestingly the 66 and earlier BBD is a bit different than the 67 and later for some of the fast idle / choke linkage etc.

67 Dart 273
View attachment 1715301068

66 and earlier 273
View attachment 1715301069
Dana, as a matter of an-aside interest, that 1st '67 273 2bbl manifold pic: those Single Plane 2bbl manifolds were fitted std OEM to the Australian (& NZ) LA318's ...
Trev.

Screenshot_2019-03-10-06-28-55.png

Screenshot_2019-03-10-06-28-14.png

I almost bought that carburetor but I wanted it in 2 days so I went with Amazon.

AutoHorizon Carburetor Carb MB-172-HCY For Dodge Chrysler 318 Engine Carter BBD Lowtop 2 Barrel V8 5.2L 1967-1980 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07867NB6S/?tag=joeychgo-20

I haven’t put many miles on it, but it runs great. It came with the mixture screws out 2 1/2 turns. When I was done adjusting they ended up being 1 1/2 turns out. I also read a review where the float failed after 500 miles...... My car is a 1971 Dart with a 1984 318 that had a Holley 2280.... my manifold has 2 studs and 2 bolts for the carburetor.

I almost bought that carburetor but I wanted it in 2 days so I went with Amazon.

AutoHorizon Carburetor Carb MB-172-HCY For Dodge Chrysler 318 Engine Carter BBD Lowtop 2 Barrel V8 5.2L 1967-1980 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07867NB6S/?tag=joeychgo-20

I haven’t put many miles on it, but it runs great. It came with the mixture screws out 2 1/2 turns. When I was done adjusting they ended up being 1 1/2 turns out. I also read a review where the float failed after 500 miles...... My car is a 1971 Dart with a 1984 318 that had a Holley 2280.... my manifold has 2 studs and 2 bolts for the carburetor.

Thanks for the advice. A quick question..

Can you show me a picture of what your choke thermostat looks like?
I ordered one on rock auto (speaking of don't trust those computer programs) once and it came in looking like this.
upload_2019-3-10_8-6-40.png

I had to order a different one like this.
upload_2019-3-10_8-8-31.png

I think they changed the style in 1970 I'm concerned if I buy that carb, the choke won't be in the correct position or wont work. Can any tell me otherwise?

upload_2019-3-10_8-8-17.png

All I can say is the bottom of the choke must fit a particular intake, the arm must fit a particular carb. A working choke pull off is the other part of the puzzle, plus adjustment.

7FDAE329-2709-48E1-8174-5D64635A7E95.jpeg
Thanks for the advice. A quick question..

Can you show me a picture of what your choke thermostat looks like?
I ordered one on rock auto (speaking of don't trust those computer programs) once and it came in looking like this. View attachment 1715301255

I had to order a different one like this.
View attachment 1715301257

I think they changed the style in 1970 I'm concerned if I buy that carb, the choke won't be in the correct position or wont work. Can any tell me otherwise?

View attachment 1715301256
My choke is not hooked up. But I did see that my old choke thermostat rod and clip will not work on the new carburetor. My old Holley rod looks too long. I have a thermostat and rod that came off a 1975 360, I will be trying..... The stat and rod on the left are original for the Holley. Stat and rod on the right came off of my ‘75 360, and I will be trying it out today.
7FDAE329-2709-48E1-8174-5D64635A7E95.jpeg

-
Back