Carter BBS Choke pull-off?

-

Jobbob

Reaction score
I just took delivery of a Carter BBS rebuild from Autoline. Instead of the dashpot choke pull-off it has an integral piston pull-off. Everything else is identical to all other BBS carbs except the body upper and lower pieces. I can’t find anything on the internet even acknowledging this design. Anybody out there familiar with this design?

F70ED967-FBB7-454C-84DF-BADBBB83F84B.jpeg

BFEBDC22-F94C-4047-BAF2-B62838E194DF.jpeg

386286C8-291B-46AB-8C89-1A38AC0960A3.jpeg

What's the main concern?

That's the '60-'63 setup; the external vacuum diaphragm arrived for '64 (across all Chrysler Corp carburetors, no matter whether made by Carter, Holley, or Bendix). The external diaphragm was adopted because the dirty gasoline at that time tended to gum up the previous pull-off piston, but today's gasoline isn't going to do that anywhere near as much or as fast; just give a Pssht of carburetor cleaner through the slot where the pull-off piston link goes into the carb wall (with the engine running) every once in awhile and you'll be fine. Use 1963 instructions for how to adjust the choke pull-off, if needed. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

That's the '60-'63 setup; the external vacuum diaphragm arrived for '64 (across all Chrysler Corp carburetors, no matter whether made by Carter, Holley, or Bendix). The external diaphragm was adopted because the dirty gasoline at that time tended to gum up the previous pull-off piston, but today's gasoline isn't going to do that anywhere near as much or as fast; just give a Pssht of carburetor cleaner through the slot where the pull-off piston link goes into the carb wall (with the engine running) every once in awhile and you'll be fine. Use 1963 instructions for how to adjust the choke pull-off, if needed. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.
Thanks for the info. I was puzzled because I didn’t find anything on the internet. No pictures, no drawings, nothing.

Might be preferable if the pull-off piston uses an easily sourced seal like an O-ring. The external diaphragm pull-offs often fail, so have to replace the whole part, which may become "not avail" in the future. They often fail after some gomer keeps spraying them with carburetor-cleaner.

-
Back