Carter BBS Slant 170cui idle problems

-

Schyrjajew

Reaction score
Hello, we have a 71 Valiant. In Switzerland it was still built with the 170cui Carter BBS at that time. Number is 4930S
Since we have it, the problem is that it runs only in fast idle.
As soon as the choke is open, it no longer idles but stalls.
The colleague then recently overhauled and cleaned the carburetor and we wanted to mount and test it. But there was still the same problem.
Even the purple leather strap swelled up. So much for the quality of the overhaul kits... so we put an otherlether thing in...

The fuel pump is impeccable. There is also always gasoline in the filter. Not dirty.
When accelerating at a standstill, it also runs, just as soon as it should be idling, it turns off.
The idle screw we have already turned to the maximum and and and

Should I buy a new one? To what extent are these interchangeable? I can't find one with the designation 4930S. Can you also take one from the years 67-69?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. That is an interesting fact.
upload_2021-3-15_13-30-14.png

no problem, you are welcome.
They built the Valiant as a Chrysler in Switzerland. looks exactly like the american ones but under the name of chrysler.
Because of the oil crisis they still put the 170cui as a basic one in.

It sounds like a vacuum leak to me. If you take a spray bottle of water and spray around the engine at the manifold and carburetor gaskets and all of the vacuum connections, if it is a vacuum leak, you will quickly find it.

It sounds like a vacuum leak to me. If you take a spray bottle of water and spray around the engine at the manifold and carburetor gaskets and all of the vacuum connections, if it is a vacuum leak, you will quickly find it.
Also partially choke off it with a rag

Also partially choke off it with a rag

The way it sounds, he might be able to close the choke and it stay running. If you can do that, you've just about confirmed a vacuum leak.

For what is this plug and what is under there? I have not seen that with the other BBS. Maybe this is related to the problem?
IMG_20210315_163529.jpg

Under that plug is a screw, I would make a definite mark on the side of the carb as a starting reference point. Count the number of turns and direction. You can go way too rich or way to Lean. If I remember correctly clockwise will rich in the mix. What is actually being adjusted is the spring tension. The air bleed size is not adjustable. Upon further investigation I think I got this backwards. The actual spring tension is not adjustable but I think the size of the air bleed is

Last edited:
That's the bottom view of that ball you can spray carb cleaner on there and see if it's leaking, sometimes a small punch and small Hammer couple of lite taps will reseat the ball

for Diagnostics and testing purposes wear that red arrows pointing right next to that red dot is The air supply hole for that air bleed. A small piece of cardboard covered up with duct tape will block off that air bleed. This Arrangement worked good when new 50 years going by it very well may be leaking at Curb idle,

Last edited:
for Diagnostics and testing purposes wear that red arrows pointing right next to that red dot is The air supply hole for that air bleed. A small piece of cardboard covered up with duct tape will block off that air bleed. This Arrangement worked good when new 50 years going by it very well may be leaking at Curb idle,

top down view.jpg

After removal of that cover plug, it is either aluminum or soft lead. small ,Hammer very small screwdriver punch through it, should pop right out. Turn screw clockwise to richen counterclockwise to lean

Last edited:
Installs from the bottom up, the underside of this is what actually subject to idle vacuum

install fron bottom.jpg

It's hard to see but there's a spring in there pushing against a check ball, the vacuum or lack of vacuum will seat or unseat that ball, that part not adjustable

bottom view.jpg

Last edited:
The bottom of that screw visible from the top, it is tapered it is also plastic so be gentle. Turning clockwise will fully seat that taper in the air hole blocking off all air flow

Last edited:
Seated position no airflow
That spring is a tension spring so that screw will stay in one spot turn clockwise lightly seated no air flow into idle circuit. Turn counterclockwise unseats taper lets air in to idle circuit; this is adjustable , my first assumption was incorrect

tension spring.jpg

-
Back