Cast crank or steel crank

-

Dorian

dorian
Reaction score
I am running my 68 cuda with a 440 and an 833 4 spd and Moser Dana 60.
I bought a lakewood bellhousing, Hayes 11" SFI steel flywheel and Centerforce Dual friction clutch.
A friend has given me a stock 440 for an engine but it has a cast crank.
I've been told that I can't use my steel flywheel with a cast crank, due to external balancing vs. internal balancing. I assume the cast crank is externally balanced and the steel flywheel is for internally balanced engines. Do I need a steel crank or can I just go with a stock flywheel?

Some light shedded on this would be greatly appreciated.

The other option is I have been offered a 68 383 engine for $500.00

What should I do?

Thanks

Gary

Also,

my plan is to run the car with a mild BB for now and build a stroker BB in the future. So either engine above would be ok for me, I just am working on a budget, like everyone I know! LOL

Thanks again,

Gary

Hey Dorian, and yes the cast crank is externally balanced and needs the big wide vibration dampener http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/bb/22.html.

Your other option is to purchase a stock forged crank, they're not that expensive or you can probably get one locally in good shape and just have it polished up. As far as the flywheel goes I ain't got a clue but I've never heard of a non steel flywheel, doesn't mean tho that they aren't out there but call these guys, they'll know for sure. http://www.hughesengines.com/

Terry

Thanks Terry,

As far as a steel or non steel I guess I was getting at externally balanced or internally balanced. As far as I know all stock flywheels are steel. Iwas just told that the SFI steel hayes wheel is internally balanced, thats all.

Gary

You can have a cast crank internally balance. But, mallory metal can be expensive so it might be cheaper in the long run to find a forged crank.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck!

I might be leaning toward the 68 383, it was recently rebuilt and it might be the way to go as far as less headache down the road. I had planned on building a Stock or Superstock car down the road and the 383 would be the ticket later on. I am just trying to figure out what might be the best option for this year.

Gary

When does MHDRA start up? Renegade still doesn't have their schedule posted for 2008. I might give Bonanza a try this year. One of these days I have got to get north to Mission again (been awhile) and to see your track (never been there).

Chuck

MHDRA RACE SCHEDULE

May 23-24-25 Jet Car Show

June 6-7-8 CMDRA - All Bike Race

June 13-14-15 Friday Fun Night
Points Race

June 20-210 Street Wheelers Street Car Race

June 27-28-29 Top Alcohol Funny Car/Dragster Race

July 11-12-13 Rain Out Race

July 18-19-20 Friday Fun Night
Points Race

August 1-2-3 National Open and IBAA Funny Car Race

August 22-23-24 Chris Koch Memorial Race

September 12-13-14 Season Points Final

September 19-20-21 Rain Out Race

MHDRA RACE SCHEDULE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Race Day - Schedule of Events
Friday's

Gates open at 5:00 pm - Tech at 6:00 pm - Racing at 7:00 pm
Saturday's

Gates open at 8:00 am - Tech at 10:00 pm - Time Trials at 12:00 pm - Racing at 4:00 pm
Sunday's

Gates open at 8:00 am - Tech at 9:00 am - Racing at 1:00 pm

When does MHDRA start up? Renegade still doesn't have their schedule posted for 2008. I might give Bonanza a try this year. One of these days I have got to get north to Mission again (been awhile) and to see your track (never been there).

Chuck

Hey Chuck check out our website too!

www.mhdra.com

See ya there, give me a call if you come,

1-403-527-5152 Gary

the 75 to 76 440 or better yet the 230 or 630 400 block The 230 400 has thicker mains than any other factory engine built of any maker and is actually stronger than many after market blocks, 451 with the 1.80 rod ratio hard to beat 383 only has .325 webbing around the mains the 440 has ,375 also but some 75 76 blocks have the .575 thickness. the 400 has .575 around webbing and the 230 super block sports 1.350 thickness wowsaaaaaa, I have 4 may sell a few soon

the 76 and later blocks have .525 and are thin wall design the 230 or 630 400 is what you want, think about the weight savings, 7lbs on pistons alone another 15 or so on the crank, and you have the makings of the finest engine in the mopar world. compare that with the 440 10.70 deck height and internal weight given same displacement 400 will smoke the 440, both combos using equal parts 0.60 over 452 440 or 0.35 over 400 450 cubes and shorter deck on the 400. its a given......

-
Back