Catalytic converters

-
That is for newer vehicles, ie 2021's! so you cant buy a new car in Nevada and bring it on over with 400 miles on the odometer. Must rack 7500 miles...and the older Fed cars must pass CA smog limits, not the Fed limits they were built to pass if you wanna register them here. I know the carb main jets and bleeds are different in CA spec/Fed spec in my carb book. So you must tweak your Fed smog to pass tighter CA smog in order to register it here. May be as simple as a few jets. How this doesn't get into interstate commerce laws (ie. Minnesota Mud Flap law) is a mystery to me. Iirc MML was a supreme court ruling that stated no state can impose onerous laws (ie round mud flaps) preventing other states from transporting goods through their state or something like that.

You are probably right, CA is emissions KrAzY.
I think it was federally mandated in 75.

I worked for Chrysler in Orlando FL till about 1976. In 1975 The 318 Cordobas came from the factory without Catalytic Converters. They ran so clean they were not required. I distinctly remember that.

That is for newer vehicles, ie 2021's! so you cant buy a new car in Nevada and bring it on over with 400 miles on the odometer. Must rack 7500 miles...and the older Fed cars must pass CA smog limits, not the Fed limits they were built to pass if you wanna register them here. I know the carb main jets and bleeds are different in CA spec/Fed spec in my carb book. So you must tweak your Fed smog to pass tighter CA smog in order to register it here. May be as simple as a few jets. How this doesn't get into interstate commerce laws (ie. Minnesota Mud Flap law) is a mystery to me. Iirc MML was a supreme court ruling that stated no state can impose onerous laws (ie round mud flaps) preventing other states from transporting goods through their state or something like that.
I'm 99.9% sure that is wrong. A 49-state car tagged in CA does NOT have to meet CARB standards, just Federal.

@Jarlaxle Here is my .1% right (and most of my wrong): "....watch out for removed smog control parts which
were perhaps legal, or quasi-legal to remove some places so long as the
emissions met local standards. In CA (and in many other states as well) the
smog test includes a visual equipment check: certain emissions-control
components must be installed and functional, regardless of the outcome of
the tailpipe test (my jetting misinformation)
. The tailpipe test is not CARB specific but the visual check is per my research. I had to put a preheater hose on a set of headers on a 67 Mustang to get my neighbors 'stang to pass the very crude smog rules of 1968. It still had its stock 302 2bbl intake but those headers sure helped that car, pretty snappy even with wide tires on the back.

>> there was a post on a guy buying a 49 state Mistu 3000GT without EGR, he said he had to get an EGR (non functional) to put in place of the factory cover and then it passed Cali smog visual. the sniff test was not affected but if the smog checker tested the EGR (manually pushed the pintle out to see if the idle raised) and it raised the idle (vacuum leak) it was considered working even thought the vacuum lines went nowhere.

Last edited:
Nevermind. You wont have to worry about in in New England.

He is saying you can fail a smog test for missing or inoperative emissions equipment even if it passes the sniff test, or if it’s just a visual test.
Yes, I know that, it's true in many places...but a 49-state car doesn't need to pass CA standards even in CA.

Yes, I know that, it's true in many places...but a 49-state car doesn't need to pass CA standards even in CA.

Have you ever gotten a 49 states car smogged in California? Or are you operating completely on theory here?

Have you ever gotten a 49 states car smogged in California? Or are you operating completely on theory here?
My sister did (Ford Probe), my brother in law did twice (M-body 5th Avenue and some kind of pickup).

I recall someone in a magazine noting that one of their project cars (Federal emissions, bought from either Nevada or Arizona) only had to meet 49-state standards.

1975 was the first year. U can tell by the floor pan as there is a big hump in it where the converter goes. The passenger bucket seat rails are different also. My 74 doesn’t have that hump. At least that is how my Canadian cars are built. Also my 75 had a resonator in the drivers side tail pipe. It was packed with fibreglass. Kim

Last edited:
Interesting. I have seen some people ask about catalytic converters for getting rid of the “old car smell” that comes from the unburned hydrocarbons etc. you get with the older carbureted engines. Personally I like the smell, but of course it’s carcinogenic too. And people that have a 2-story with a bedroom over garage layout might not appreciate it as much either.

The issue is that on carbureted engines the catalytic converter’s tend to foul pretty quickly, they don’t deal with the extra fuel in the exhaust or lower exhaust temperatures as well. It would obviously be different on a classic that had a modern engine swapped in, although depending on your modifications you could just use the converters that would be right for that engine. And running EFI would also solve that issue, although again that would also open up more converter options too.
There's no way I'd own a house with an attached garage and especially so with the master bedroom over the garage. So far in the 3 houses that I've lived in (owned 2 and rented 1), all have had detached garages.

As others have said, 1975 was the first year they could have had a cat as that’s when they modified the floor pan under the drivers seat to fit the cat. No A bodies before 1974 had a cat. However, not all A bodies in 1975 had cats, mine is a 1975 and did not have a cat; that could be a Canada only thing though. Perhaps some States didn’t require a cat so it could be hit and miss depending on which state the car was sold new in.

-
Back