CCP a-body disc brake conversion...any good??

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
Looking to swap a BBP manual disc set up in the wife’s 66 Valiant...used ones are selling for a lot more than I remember and getting harder to find (at least around here) My question is I found a new conversion kit on eBay from CCP...are they any good? For $200-$300 more than a used setup I can spend a little more and have all brand new stuff and not have to mess with buying used and rebuilding stuff. I’m swapping a 8 1/4 BBP rear in the car too. Any thoughts? Thanks!

91EE66B5-8C60-4643-AE56-11FF9045F4EF.jpeg

373A956D-2105-4DFC-9119-EB60F6DD1C48.png

70EE8E8F-60F6-46ED-AFC3-5C72B94FAFD9.png

the only concern is if the calipers mount on the front or back. That is really only a concern if you have a sway bar, otherwise doesn't really matter.

I like this kit because it has the Upper control arms. Original upper control arms that are not bent are getting pretty hard to find these days.

I think I am going to try this kit on my 63 valiant wagon.

looks very similar to the kit i used from Pirate Jack. I put mine in 3 years ago not one issue.

You can mount calipers on front or back just like OEM.

That’s true, the spindles, calipers and calipers mounts are the same either way. But the brake lines included in that kit will only be the right length for one of those options. Front mounting the calipers vs rear mounting then calipers requires different length brake lines.

That’s why when you order a disk brake kit from DoctorDiff you have to specify where you’re mounting the calipers.

the only concern is if the calipers mount on the front or back. That is really only a concern if you have a sway bar, otherwise doesn't really matter.

I like this kit because it has the Upper control arms. Original upper control arms that are not bent are getting pretty hard to find these days.

I think I am going to try this kit on my 63 valiant wagon.

Yup, I know about the swaybay end links possibly hitting, on my 66 I have them to the rear too. I know what you mean about the upper control arms, used they run about $200 on eBay and up to $300 for tubular arms or new stock replacements. I found a few used disc brake set-ups and they want close to $300 without the arms, plus more to ship...I think I’m way better off to just get new parts. I swapped all this from a 73 Duster into my 66 Valiant and it was easy, had to get rebuilt calipers and new rotors but I already had the parts so it was easy. I do know if I move the calipers I need to use longer brake hoses from a Volare or Aspen, I had to on mine.

BTW Rani, a 63 wagon? Cool...I remember when you didn’t care for the early-a cars...welcome to the dark side lol

That’s true, the spindles, calipers and calipers mounts are the same either way. But the brake lines included in that kit will only be the right length for one of those options. Front mounting the calipers vs rear mounting then calipers requires different length brake lines.

That’s why when you order a disk brake kit from DoctorDiff you have to specify where you’re mounting the calipers.

DoctorDiff, I’ll have to look into that...was it prices similar?

DoctorDiff, I’ll have to look into that...was it prices similar?

No. DoctorDiff’s kit will be more expensive after you add in the upper control arms. I think for all the stuff in the CPP kit the brake kit by itself would be a little over $500, and the control arms are another $200.

That said, you’ll get the right length brake lines for your application, the wheel bearings will be Timken's (which is a significant price and quality increase) and DoctorDiff has actual customer service and support.

Some of the components are likely coming from the same source, like the spindles and upper control arms. But the bearings, hardware, brake lines etc you get from DoctorDiff will be better.

I want to upgrade the drivetrain and suspension in this car first. It’s a 170 with a 3 on the tree but she wants a 4-speed and more power. Toolmanmike gave her a sweet sweet deal on an 833 4-speed trans that he has so we will need to visit him sometime this winter...road trip to Iowa! Was thinking a 318 mildly built dressed like a 273 Commando would be a nice engine for her...although she has driven mine and said “maybe I need a 340 too?!?” LOL

40B4DB14-FC39-41DC-9492-2A50EEFE1E2B.jpeg

I plan to swap the master cylinder to a newer style, prop block and bending new lines. Thanks for the info 72!

Doctor Diff will tell you to use 1969 Camaro front hoses. They work perfectly.

I have the CPP kit, but haven't installed it yet. Everything looks high quality, and the customer service from CPP has been great!

It seemed like it was taking a long time for them to ship the kit out after I placed the order, so I contacted them, and their QA department rejected their shipment of calipers. To me, this is a good sign they are making sure to send high quality parts the their customers. I didn't mind the wait.

After everything arrived, one of the backing plates was bent during shipping. One e-mail and they had new ones out without any hesitation. The packaging was actually pretty good, the box had to have taken a major hit to bend the plate.

20181103_170225.jpg

20181103_170307.jpg

20181103_170532.jpg

Kieth, it sure looks like the CPP and Dr Diff kits use reproductions or service replacements of factory parts. So yes, you could probably save a few bucks scrounging used factory pieces, cleaning them up, replacing the worn items, etc... Assuming your time is worth nothing. On the other hand, a box full of clean rust free ready to go parts has it's advantages. Cass (Dr Diff) is Mopar guy, and has a good reputation as others have mentioned. He is certainly responsive if you have a question. Customer service seems to be fading from the "click and ship" world we live in. I can't speak for others, but to me there is value there as well.

-
Back