Center Console Restoration Help

-

Chained_360

Delusional Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

A while ago I bought this center console for a good price from another member on here, and haven't really had time to get to it since. The good price came from the fact that she's a little beat up and needs restoration before she goes in the notchback. I'm no expert here but I'm pretty sure this sucker is made out of fiberglass, which I have a little bit of experience with. The main areas of damage are up front, where the front lip has cracked and caved in. The other bad spot is on the side of the body, there's a chunk missing that needs to be filled in. Other than that it's mostly just scratches and cleaning that it needs.

How do you all suggest I go about doing this? I really want to keep the factory texturing that's on it, but there's a good part on the passenger side that has been sanded smooth. I've worked with both fiberglass bondo and fiberglass mats and resin (like for boats and such), but what would be the best way to repair this?

20200514_183336.jpg
20200514_183421.jpg
20200514_183424.jpg
20200514_183353.jpg
20200514_183358.jpg
20200514_183404.jpg
20200514_183415.jpg
20200514_183428.jpg

Also, I've decided to make my own top plates for it with some custom features. I'm an engineering student and have a buddy with a good 3D printer, so I'm going to toss the top plates up in CAD and see what I can do. I want to add cupholders, delete the cigarette lighter, and add a place for switches and goodies for later use (line lock, rear defrost, coin holder, etc.). Is this something that anyone else would be interested in having in their car? Reproduction top plates are pricey, and I would be able to add features as described above. Yes, they would be plastic, but there are multiple options for material (including carbon fiber-reinforced) and color available. I'm not sure how expensive they would be but a simple one with cupholders would be cheaper than reproduction factory top plates. Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks everyone!

Hi everyone,

A while ago I bought this center console for a good price from another member on here, and haven't really had time to get to it since. The good price came from the fact that she's a little beat up and needs restoration before she goes in the notchback. I'm no expert here but I'm pretty sure this sucker is made out of fiberglass, which I have a little bit of experience with. The main areas of damage are up front, where the front lip has cracked and caved in. The other bad spot is on the side of the body, there's a chunk missing that needs to be filled in. Other than that it's mostly just scratches and cleaning that it needs.

How do you all suggest I go about doing this? I really want to keep the factory texturing that's on it, but there's a good part on the passenger side that has been sanded smooth. I've worked with both fiberglass bondo and fiberglass mats and resin (like for boats and such), but what would be the best way to repair this?

View attachment 1715528206 View attachment 1715528211 View attachment 1715528212 View attachment 1715528207 View attachment 1715528208 View attachment 1715528209 View attachment 1715528210 View attachment 1715528213

Also, I've decided to make my own top plates for it with some custom features. I'm an engineering student and have a buddy with a good 3D printer, so I'm going to toss the top plates up in CAD and see what I can do. I want to add cupholders, delete the cigarette lighter, and add a place for switches and goodies for later use (line lock, rear defrost, coin holder, etc.). Is this something that anyone else would be interested in having in their car? Reproduction top plates are pricey, and I would be able to add features as described above. Yes, they would be plastic, but there are multiple options for material (including carbon fiber-reinforced) and color available. I'm not sure how expensive they would be but a simple one with cupholders would be cheaper than reproduction factory top plates. Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks everyone!

I would be intersted in a custom top plate. Keep adding updates to this post, when you start development. Thanks

Hi everyone,

View attachment 1715528206 View attachment 1715528211 View attachment 1715528212 View attachment 1715528207 View attachment 1715528208 View attachment 1715528209 View attachment 1715528210 View attachment 1715528213

I'd be interested to see what you and your buddy come up with.

I can also tell you that 3D printing the plastic headlight rings has been discussed a few times on here. I don't know if anybody has tried yet or not. They are hard to come by and if you can find NOS, a pair will run you around $400, a good used pair, depends on seller and how bad buyer needs them.
A member on here is trying to find or see if someone can make or match the rocker panel retaining clips. Rocker panel molding came on Sport package for '69, not sure on 67/68 (but they also had rocker moldings). If you see a 69 Barracuda that has 9 holes (per side) in the rockers, it had the sport package. That's another example of unobtanium parts for both the aluminum moldings, but even more so for the retaining clips.

There's others too that 3D printing would be nice. Good luck with your project. I'll be following.

Thanks,
Dan

I'd be interested to see what you and your buddy come up with.

I can also tell you that 3D printing the plastic headlight rings has been discussed a few times on here. I don't know if anybody has tried yet or not. They are hard to come by and if you can find NOS, a pair will run you around $400, a good used pair, depends on seller and how bad buyer needs them.
A member on here is trying to find or see if someone can make or match the rocker panel retaining clips. Rocker panel molding came on Sport package for '69, not sure on 67/68 (but they also had rocker moldings). If you see a 69 Barracuda that has 9 holes (per side) in the rockers, it had the sport package. That's another example of unobtanium parts for both the aluminum moldings, but even more so for the retaining clips.

There's others too that 3D printing would be nice. Good luck with your project. I'll be following.

Thanks,
Dan
Those parts are very likely something we would be able to print. Especially clips and such. I will talk with him and see, if you wish to forward my contact information to those members or tag them there I would love to help out! If we do decide to try and develop those parts we would have to get a hold of some originals that would be returned when finished.

It’s pretty easy to use body filler and or duraglass to make those repairs. Don’t worry about sanding it smooth as you can paint it with texture paint and it will come out awesome. I used SEM spray texture with a final color of Landau Black that came out like brand new. I like your idea for cup holders too. Good luck.

I would use the two part epoxy resin and fill in the crack at the rear, make a brace to tuck in and hold tension. The small missing spot will be tough to keep the grain. Back in the good ol' days, there were vinyl repair kits - Permatex brand I think- that has a selection of grain samples that you matched up to your grain before you applied the liquid vinyl. Find something like that?

Those parts are very likely something we would be able to print. Especially clips and such. I will talk with him and see, if you wish to forward my contact information to those members or tag them there I would love to help out! If we do decide to try and develop those parts we would have to get a hold of some originals that would be returned when finished.

I'll talk with a member who is trying to do the rocker moldings.
A couple of people have asked about the headlight rings, but don't know if they got them or not.
Another almost unobtanium part is the big plastic '69 inner grille surrounds. They are re-popped, but most people I've read said they fit poorly. I found a complete set of NOS grilles and drove from VA to CT to get them and some other NOS or really good used parts. Didn't trust any shipping company on those. Lot of members have to restore what they have, sometimes collecting pieces to put together, so they are asked about a lot.
Maybe you can start a thread poll after you and your buddy look at those parts or other suggestions you might get. IDK how much, but I'm sure there is some design and start-up costs for each part. If you don't have enough commitment, then it probably won't justify the costs.
I think a lot of people would like to see how your console lids look when done. I'm working on dash and console right now and am on the fence about ordering the top plates, so I'd like to see yours.
Good luck,
Dan

Making something better from this console has been tried. Search related threads.
Cup holders at the storage compartment area, behind the hand and/or elbow just don't work. That's where a armrest belongs. One cup holder in front of the shifter, if the shifter mechanism isn't in the way. A cup holder behind the shifter where the ash tray door is could work. Either way, a shorter shifter could be desired if not required. Good luck though.

I'll talk with a member who is trying to do the rocker moldings.
A couple of people have asked about the headlight rings, but don't know if they got them or not.
Another almost unobtanium part is the big plastic '69 inner grille surrounds. They are re-popped, but most people I've read said they fit poorly. I found a complete set of NOS grilles and drove from VA to CT to get them and some other NOS or really good used parts. Didn't trust any shipping company on those. Lot of members have to restore what they have, sometimes collecting pieces to put together, so they are asked about a lot.
Maybe you can start a thread poll after you and your buddy look at those parts or other suggestions you might get. IDK how much, but I'm sure there is some design and start-up costs for each part. If you don't have enough commitment, then it probably won't justify the costs.
I think a lot of people would like to see how your console lids look when done. I'm working on dash and console right now and am on the fence about ordering the top plates, so I'd like to see yours.
Good luck,
Dan

3D printing parts for larger scale use gets a bit tricky with pricing depending on production volume, but my friend runs his printers as a side business so he's used to it. He's printed custom parts for engine swaps (he's working on a 3D printed cooling fan for an air-cooled Porsche engine), as well as Cobra horn button emblems and the like. I will try to have the top plates thrown into CAD as soon as I can, and when I do I'll post pictures here and in another thread as well. If you would like to, we can start a private conversation to discuss other parts as well! Seeing some pictures of these parts would help start the process. I'm pretty committed to the top plates and I think we can certainly try the trim clips. I'll post a poll once we have a proof of concept of the top plates, I don't want to overpromise and underdeliver.

Making something better from this console has been tried. Search related threads.
Cup holders at the storage compartment area, behind the hand and/or elbow just don't work. That's where a armrest belongs. One cup holder in front of the shifter, if the shifter mechanism isn't in the way. A cup holder behind the shifter where the ash tray door is could work. Either way, a shorter shifter could be desired if not required. Good luck though.

I figured fitting things in would be difficult with the original console body, but I will try my darndest! I wasn't aware that any A bodies came with armrests, do you have some pictures of them so I can see how they could cause fitment issues? It may be an oddball design when it's done but I'm dead set on making this work. I'll keep everyone updated!

I figured fitting things in would be difficult with the original console body, but I will try my darndest! I wasn't aware that any A bodies came with armrests, do you have some pictures of them so I can see how they could cause fitment issues? It may be an oddball design when it's done but I'm dead set on making this work. I'll keep everyone updated!
I didn't say a-bodies had armrests only pointed out where a armrest belongs or should be. Cup holders too far rearward wont be handy to the right hand.

I didn't say a-bodies had armrests only pointed out where a armrest belongs or should be. Cup holders too far rearward wont be handy to the right hand.
Oh, gotcha! My bad, I misunderstood your post. That is an excellent point about ergonomics and such! Us engineers tend to forget about practicality and more on the end result :D. I'll keep that in mind for the final design!

-
Back