Center link hitting oil pan preventing full right turn

-

chasb

Reaction score
My 69 Dart 440 I thought I had this issue solved when I purchase a complete 187 oil pan, windage tray etc to replace the Milodon that was put in some years ago. The Milodon had a huge dent in it where ( I thought ) the 187 pan's factory-made indent was. So naturally I figured that by getting a real oil pan it would take care of it.

WELL... The center link is STILL hitting the pan on right turns abo0t 1.5 " BEHIND the factory indent on the 187!!!! The motor is mo0utned correctly all of the rest of the drive train is fine, etc. so DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER CLUES. Is it possible that I have an incorrect center link?

One with more of a right angle down turn on each side and lower to the ground would probably do the trick.

I also replaced the idler arm which was very loose Do you suppose that looseness may have allowed enough play to let me to make right turns? It still put a huge gouge in the pan, though.

I did notice that the idler arm bolt had a cotter pin in it and the Moog replacement I got did not. I read somewhere that only the '67 A bodies had cotter pins in the idler arm. Could it be that the restorer used a 1967 front suspension in the car? Would there be that big a difference? It's an original H code 383 so it had the correct K frame etc. when stock.

SOMEONE HELP ME !! I NEED TO GET READY FOR THE SHOWS IN 2 WEEKS.
I'm at a loss here

Sounds like the wrong steering linkage to me. Also I hope it's a 68-69 k frame (that 67 is one year only and parts are $$$).

Sounds like the wrong steering linkage to me. Also I hope it's a 68-69 k frame (that 67 is one year only and parts are $$$).

I'm pretty sure it's the right K frame as it doesn't look like there was any welding or other work done to the front, but how could I tell anyway?

Isn't there a slant six and V8 center link?

It's also 44 years old. Lotta time for wrong parts.

There is no V8 / Slant centerlink difference. The big change camein '73. See here for more info on steering linkages: http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/linkage.shtml

Even with a 187 pan I had to add some additional clearance at the corner of the pan circled in the photo.

A sloppy idler will increase the chance of pan contact. I had one 'fail' with less than 1000 miles on it.

Attachments

• 187 pan with circle.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 316
There is a 6 and V8 center link in the early cars. That's why I suggested it. Sorry.

I'm pretty sure it's the right K frame as it doesn't look like there was any welding or other work done to the front, but how could I tell anyway?

The 67 had one bracket that hold the idler arm while the 68+ has two (much better design).

There is no V8 / Slant centerlink difference. The big change camein '73. See here for more info on steering linkages: http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/linkage.shtml

Even with a 187 pan I had to add some additional clearance at the corner of the pan circled in the photo.

A sloppy idler will increase the chance of pan contact. I had one 'fail' with less than 1000 miles on it.

Thanks Just repalced with new MOOG iodeler arm and now it's tight but the center link is still hitting 187 pan. Looks I'll need to do what you did.
Chas

If I recall correctly, in the mopar performance suspension and chassis book, there is a section that tells a procedure. It entails measuring from the outer tie rods to the ground and measuring from the idler, and pitman to the ground. Comparing the right and left measurements to see what the difference is. If the passenger side isn't low enough, it says something about slotting the lower bolt hole on the frame bracket for the idler. Slide the bolt forward until dimension is good and weld a washer to the lower bracket to hold bolt. If I remember when I get home at 4 am, I will snap a picture of the process and post it. I say all this because if the idler on your car needs to have the lower bolt slid forward to drop the knuckle at the link it may give you the clearance you need on the oil pan through the arc of travel. Sorry so long winded but it may be a shot to help cure the issue. Figure a 1/4" at the bolt would be a lot on the other end.

The 67 had one bracket that hold the idler arm while the 68+ has two (much better design).

This is true, but even if you have a '67 K-frame the pan was the same old 893 used from '67-'69 on BB-A-bodies and the '69 440's.

Are you sure you have a BB pitman arm??? They are different than SB.

-
Back