-
Status
Not open for further replies.

ADHD426

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Contact seller
I need a V8 center link for my 71 Duster. It was a /6 but I am putting in a 340 and a new spool k-member. Let me know if you have a center link that will fit.

Andrew

You will, however, need the steering gear from the car that donated the spool K member. Grab the steering box, the Pitman arm, the idler arm, center link, and tie rod ends. The '71 parts won't bolt to the '73 up K member.

im pretty sure all the steering box's are the same, as in they bolt up the same...i do know the 73 and up units do have larger output splines...so yes, youll need the pitman idler arm and centerlink from the same years...68-72, is one set and 73-76 is another set...

You will, however, need the steering gear from the car that donated the spool K member. Grab the steering box, the Pitman arm, the idler arm, center link, and tie rod ends. The '71 parts won't bolt to the '73 up K member.

Really?

im pretty sure all the steering box's are the same, as in they bolt up the same...i do know the 73 and up units do have larger output splines...so yes, youll need the pitman idler arm and centerlink from the same years...68-72, is one set and 73-76 is another set...

If they bolt up the same, then shouldn't I just be able to use the entire steering setup with the new K-Member, if I am bolting my old steering box to the new k-member?

If they bolt up the same, then shouldn't I just be able to use the entire steering setup with the new K-Member, if I am bolting my old steering box to the new k-member?

yes. you can transfer everything over to the new k-frame.

the 73 up box uses a different pitman arm and from there the connections are different on the attaching parts, if youre going to use the orig box, then all your stuff will work

Sorry about the confusion guys. Had a 1am brain cramp and put out some bad information. I was wrong on this one, should have said "The steering linkage will swap if you use the same steering box from the non spool K member". I think we can all agree there is no difference between a slant and V8 center link from '67 on. :eek:ops:

Just to do a wrap up of all that's been said and make it all correct: All A bodies after 66 use the same center (drag) link on 6's and 8's. The 73 and up used a DIFFERENT centerlink than the 67-72. The POWER STEERING box on a 73 and up used a different clocking (gear pattern at the bottom of the box) meaning that the pitman arm from a 67-72 will not fit the 73-76 power steering box. All steering boxes will bolt up to the K frame from 67-76.

When you switch to the newer spool k frame you have two options: Run ALL the 67-72 steering parts (drag link, pitman and idler arms and STEERING BOX) OR run ALL of the 73-76 parts. Either setup will bolt to the k frame but when you start mixing and matching parts, you'll have problems.

Just to do a wrap up of all that's been said and make it all correct: All A bodies after 66 use the same center (drag) link on 6's and 8's. The 73 and up used a DIFFERENT centerlink than the 67-72. The POWER STEERING box on a 73 and up used a different clocking (gear pattern at the bottom of the box) meaning that the pitman arm from a 67-72 will not fit the 73-76 power steering box. All steering boxes will bolt up to the K frame from 67-76.

When you switch to the newer spool k frame you have two options: Run ALL the 67-72 steering parts (drag link, pitman and idler arms and STEERING BOX) OR run ALL of the 73-76 parts. Either setup will bolt to the k frame but when you start mixing and matching parts, you'll have problems.

greg isnt the 73 up pitman shaft a different diameter too?

greg isnt the 73 up pitman shaft a different diameter too?

Yes. The box shaft is different. It's a different size gear requiring a different Pitman arm.The Pitman arm from a 73 -76 will not work on a 67-72 power steering box and vice versa. Again, you want to use the steering box, Pitman Arm, Idler arm and drag link all together as a unit. Use either the 73-76 parts or the 68-72 parts. By the way, 67s have a unique one year only IDLER arm, but ..that's a whole 'nother subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back