Centering the steering shaft in the tube

-

Robj

Reaction score
I removed my column to replace the coupler innards and I had my steering box rebuilt by Firm Feel.

I don’t have an old tool C-4134 hanging out in my tool collection but I wanted an easy way to keep the steering shaft centered in the tube while reinstalling the column and making the adjustments.

An old chunk of ski rope came to mind. True story though, while cleaning up the garage and work area, I had thrown it away two days earlier thinking it was too short to ever be of any use. It’s been in my garage on a shelf for better than ten years. Just goes to show. Anyway, it was still in the trash can so I dumpster dove and fished it out.

I measured and cut a length melting the ends with my heat gun to keep them from fraying.

I packed it around the shaft and it fit perfectly snug. After I was done installing the column, I simply pulled it out with a small pick tool.

You guys and gals are all a lot smarter than me and somebody has likely already come up with this but maybe it will help someone now about to be going through a column re-install.

6772A81E-2EB3-4FC0-B475-6978C6F83CEC.jpeg
D9B8AFD6-8A15-4A96-B798-C5263F1CB6ED.jpeg

I removed my column to replace the coupler innards and I had my steering box rebuilt by Firm Feel.

I don’t have an old tool C-4134 hanging out in my tool collection but I wanted an easy way to keep the steering shaft centered in the tube while reinstalling the column and making the adjustments.

An old chunk of ski rope came to mind. True story though, while cleaning up the garage and work area, I had thrown it away two days earlier thinking it was too short to ever be of any use. It’s been in my garage on a shelf for better than ten years. Just goes to show. Anyway, it was still in the trash can so I dumpster dove and fished it out.

I measured and cut a length melting the ends with my heat gun to keep them from fraying.

I packed it around the shaft and it fit perfectly snug. After I was done installing the column, I simply pulled it out with a small pick tool.

You guys and gals are all a lot smarter than me and somebody has likely already come up with this but maybe it will help someone now about to be going through a column re-install.

View attachment 1715232820 View attachment 1715232817

I just last week had my column out and changed a few things, and painted it. I used a normal sealed bearing ''16 bucks at any bearing supply place'', and in stock, no ordering.
1" inside, 2" outside, slid in and shimmed to tighten the outside in the tube, doesn`t take much !
There is a couple of places that are great for holding straps, which are easily made, and hose clamped to insure the bearing stays in place, on the bottom of the tube ;.Works very well . Nothing special to buy and looks acceptable.

-
Back