Centre Sump Options - Whats best

-

Boony405hp

Reaction score
Hey guys, is there a BEST option for putting a New hemi into an A body with stock k-frame.

Milodon, Charlies, Weldtech?

What would your recommendation be, are they all drop in units no cutting required.

I went with a Canton it was the only one that fit with the Alter-K.

Hey guys, is there a BEST option for putting a New hemi into an A body with stock k-frame.

Milodon, Charlies, Weldtech?

What would your recommendation be, are they all drop in units no cutting required.

I have a Canton pan on my Cuda with a stock K frame. I don't like the design. It is a square box with filler pieces to make the corner fit to the timing chain cover. Mine leaks alittle in those spots. I like the quality of the Milodon pan and if I had the chance to do it over, I would change it in a heart beat!!! They have a great windage tray as well that eliminates more oil from the rotating assy than the stock truck tray/gasket assy.

I have the weldtech pan. I liked the looks and the included pickup. I had to make a small notch in my k-member to clear the right front corner of the pan, but it looks like they have changed their design slightly to account for this now. I also had to do a little grinding on the structural support that goes over the back end of the pan and connects the engine to the 545 trans. I think this may be an issue with anyone of them though.

The Milodon pans are the cheapest, but once you add on the extra needed items like the modified pick up tube, windage tray, etc etc that and the weldtech are around the same. I just want one that doesn't need any cutting or modifying preferbaly, well not cutting that requires re-welding. Thanks for the comments so far, keep them coming guys

I have a Charlies, but my car is an early b body.

Yeah I have seen some where either the edge of the k-frame needs to be cut and I just don't think that should have to be done if these sumps are designed to go in these cars. I don't want to do that as our engineers probably don't like the idea of it - even if its not cutting into a structual part of the k-frame.

If you are willing to go with a welded solution, I have heard from one person who used a Durango hemi pan and cut then welded a notch to clear the hardware. Even though that pan is a layered metal composite, I have seen one that was welded.

I plan to try that for mine.

Do you have any pics of this? Would be interesting to see.

If you are willing to go with a welded solution, I have heard from one person who used a Durango hemi pan and cut then welded a notch to clear the hardware. Even though that pan is a layered metal composite, I have seen one that was welded.

I plan to try that for mine.

Do you have any pics of this? Would be interesting to see.

None yet, but I plan to take them of mine.

Here is what Al Harper sent me regarding his installation that I found in Mopar Action. http://www.moparaction.com/Article/BUDGET_BRICK/BUDGET_BRICK.html

HEY Les,

For starters the the car was a small block 318 so yes we just used the stock v8 k-member,also the oil pan from the durango was slightly modified with a piece of three inch pipe cut down the middle and welded into the back edge of the sump on the pan to help with steering (draglink) clearance.this is not a big deal!I figured it was not a waste if I ruined a $35.00 pan than buying a $600.00 milodon pan.I used tti engine mounts that were cheaper than making them $125.00,I had to cut a little bit out of the pass side to clear the oil filter adapter but not very much. I hope this helps ......al

-
Back