Cerakote ready to spray ceramic coating

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
Just ordered some Cerakote silver to revitalize the tti exhaust pipes I pulled from a salvaged 70 dart years ago. Says it’s rated to 2000*F. Anyone use this stuff besides CudaChick? The spec sheets and instructions make it sound easy. Can’t be harder than spraying a car. I’m always leary of these coatings. Seemed expensive but buying a full set of pipes pails in comparison to the $70 on the paint. I figured it would take 2-3 rattles cans of VHT $15 ea. So it’s not much more since I have the spraying equipment already. Plus, I should have plenty left over for other items like rear drums, calipers, etc. I’ll report back on how it performs.

Anyone use this stuff besides cudachick?

Pipes

D8DAD786-44AB-4D12-BB08-024F037AE4D9.jpeg

I used their air dry piston coat on my pistons and valves. Also used their moly skirt coating. I did a 4000 mile tear down and inspection, and everything was just like I put it together.

The VHT Ceramic coat worked great on headers but you have to heat cure it. Its obvious but may not happen naturally on brake drums or other parts you don't post cook or don't cook in operation. Im sure you have to get them very clean prior also.

No heat cure on this product. Can handle in an hour. Can assemble next day. Reaches full cure in five days. Excited to give it a try.

Do you have a link on where you got it? Seems like something I need to look into!

Just ordered some Cerakote silver to revitalize the tti exhaust pipes I pulled from a salvaged 70 dart years ago. Says it’s rated to 2000*F. Anyone use this stuff besides CudaChick? The spec sheets and instructions make it sound easy. Can’t be harder than spraying a car. I’m always leary of these coatings. Seemed expensive but buying a full set of pipes pails in comparison to the $70 on the paint. I figured it would take 2-3 rattles cans of VHT $15 ea. So it’s not much more since I have the spraying equipment already. Plus, I should have plenty left over for other items like rear drums, calipers, etc. I’ll report back on how it performs.

Anyone use this stuff besides cudachick?

Pipes

View attachment 1715294293
I'll put it this way, we put it on a Class 3, FA, that fires 800 rounds a minute and can turn a barrel cherry red in seconds. The coating has lasted 6 years now.

That’s awesome. It’s all in the prep now. It’ll be a pita but with a DA with 80-100 grit it should go quick. Will do in sections. It’s been really rainy here lately and don’t need flash rust to jack things up. Still waiting for product to arrive.

Last edited:
That’s awesome. It’s all in the prep now. It’ll be a pita but with a DA with 80-100 grit it should go quick. Will do in sections. It’s been really rainy here lately and don’t need flash rust to jack things up. Still waiting for product to arrive.

How did it turn out Dave??

@dukeboy_318 that's the same supplier but the Cerakote gun coatings are considerably different from their others for polished metals, exhaust components, etc. It's very specialized.

@dukeboy_318 that's the same supplier but the Cerakote gun coatings are considerably different from their others for polished metals, exhaust components, etc. It's very specialized.

hey Cuda Chick would this Cerakote coating on headers be something you would consider in the future ?

I got out of high temp ceramics simply because shipping costs for headers and manifolds are too prohibitive back and forth. The stuff is great! Call me sometime after 10:00 a.m. Central and I'll tell you how to do it yourself and save hundreds over a job shop.

I got out of high temp ceramics simply because shipping costs for headers and manifolds are too prohibitive back and forth. The stuff is great! Call me sometime after 10:00 a.m. Central and I'll tell you how to do it yourself and save hundreds over a job shop.
I read "air dried" in the add , surely that`s with heat ! ????????
I could sure use it, I put vents in my hood to dispell under hood heat, pass. side is trying to melt !!

I bought the high gloss stuff recommended by @CudaChick1968 for my express truck rims. One of these days I’ll actually spray them. Lol
id be interested in knowing what was recommended, i got a old set of express wheels needs something!! i bought the chrome VHT paint but really want something better! got a oven and can bake them if need be!

id be interested in knowing what was recommended, i got a old set of express wheels needs something!! i bought the chrome VHT paint but really want something better! got a oven and can bake them if need be!

The stuff I bought isn’t for restoring a wheel. It’s to protect the finish on new wheels. I bought new polished alumn wheels and needed something to protect them.

I’d have to look when I got home but pretty sure this is what I bought. MC-160Q HIGH GLOSS CERAMIC CLEAR

Last edited:
I read "air dried" in the add , surely that`s with heat ! ????????
I could sure use it, I put vents in my hood to dispell under hood heat, pass. side is trying to melt !!

Yes Bob. It's a sprayed liquid that "cures" in the open air without any heat.

Yes Bob. It's a sprayed liquid that "cures" in the open air without any heat.

WOW, thanks. Going to make a note for and if , when I have my headers off ever again.
'getting lazy in my olde age !"
Amazing that an air dried product will take 2000* heat !

Is there a trick to it ? Spill the beans Leanna .

Thanks Joe!! Saved me some typing :thumbsup:

I will add here that the only thing about this that's pricey is the ceramic itself. As mentioned earlier, a little goes a long way.

Most DIYers have the equipment on hand already.

I suggest getting with your local car guys and seeing if anyone else is in need (they probably are), and then all of you split the cost of a quart. Prep everyone's stuff per the instructions above, and shoot it all at the same time on a nice calm (i.e. not windy) day. Everyone in your group can get their headers or manifolds coated for literally less than a quarter of what ONE SET would cost from a job shop.

Keep any leftovers (in the original container of course) in your refrigerator. It has a great shelf life.

Happy ceramic-ing!!!!

WOW, thanks. Going to make a note for and if , when I have my headers off ever again.
'getting lazy in my olde age !"
Amazing that an air dried product will take 2000* heat !

Is there a trick to it ? Spill the beans Leanna .

Beans are spilled my friend. It's advertised at effectiveness up to 2,200 degrees.

Make sure your engine is well tuned first, don't run your headers on a dyno test, and DO NOT wrap them afterwards. Each can adversely affect any warranty.

Starting prep today. And will see how far I get on a couple of sections. The only thing that bugs me is the cleaning prep solution they recommend. It’s expensive and hard to get from my internet searches. I can see it being a problem with solutions that hold moisture but that’s usually in areas that can trap it. With long pipes it should not be an issue using quality W&G remover. I’ll treat it like painting my cars basically. Clean clean clean.

Some use propane heat and pray, others like acetone (which I think leaves it streaky) but I prefer L.A.'s Awesome Cleaner and a scrub brush for most everything. Do your best inside the tubes but make sure you get 'em dry, especially welded areas. Paint thinner or acetone will clean your HVLP gun.

It’s 72* here today. Will let air dry and let the sun heat up the pipes for a good hour before spraying. Good idea on the heat. I’ll use my heat gun though.

-
Back