1968 Barracuda Notch 340

-
I do like it, but I'm not a fan of the quad headlights because I think it makes the grill openings too small. If the headlights were able to be pushed further out, maybe or just 2 lights. I like the idea you are trying something more than I would feel comfortable attempting. I always wondered about downsizing a 'bird nose onto a Duster/Dart Sport & doing it either muscle with a V-8, or just a cruiser with a slant & seeing what kind of MPGs you could attain. A Tweetybird

EDIT; You were responding as I was typing. I see that those aren't quads. But still same thought. Maybe some rectangular marker lights fit into the grill somewhere.

I'd like to see a drawing of your Tweetybird Duster/Dart Sport idea, it sounds interesting. I chuckle looking back, I had no plans to modify this deep into this car, and have never done so before other than stuffing an EFI 350, Muncie, Ford 9" in my '73 Land Cruiser . (Maybe this is the Japanese God's getting back at me with the '73 Celica remarks, LOL!). After 13 years of staring at pics of '68 Barracudas, and revisiting the '73 Cuda grille (my fav) it hit me one day that I just didn't love the front grille set up and out came the die grinder. I'm attached to this car because it was supposed to be a Father Son deal before my Dad passed so switching horses ain't happenin. I think a black background inside the headlamp only grille recess (like a 73 Cuda) may clean the angle dependent quasi-quad-cross-eyed thing up. Or Possibly reducing the visible circles of the marker lamps or both. The 2014 Chally light campaign is a sizable box (that's code for Holy Sh-t these are huge!) housing both lights so individual protrusion won't be possible but I like your thought process.

I would have done hidden headlights like the 69 Charger, or do a similar frontend like the Brazilian based Charger. This looks pretty good though. Will wait and see the final results.

I would have done hidden headlights like the 69 Charger, or do a similar frontend like the Brazilian based Charger. This looks pretty good though. Will wait and see the final results.
Thanks! Man just fabbing in the first light including structural gusseting was 3 weeks including trial and error. No part of the housing is square! I had to transfer the actual bulb landing plane up, over and down to the lens face to ensure the lens face was parallel. Transferring, plumbing and squaring the second light was just 3 days. I can't imagine what scratch doors would take but would be a hell of a challenge!~

I'm liking it. Had a couple of 71 B'cudas back in the 80's. Loved the 4 headlight look of them.

On your car, I know the marker/turn signals will be in the inboard lights, maybe fracticate fog lamps to mimic the 72/74 cuda park lamp look, or in the corners of the valance opening like a 65 Valiant.

I'm liking it. Had a couple of 71 B'cudas back in the 80's. Loved the 4 headlight look of them.

On your car, I know the marker/turn signals will be in the inboard lights, maybe fracticate fog lamps to mimic the 72/74 cuda park lamp look, or in the corners of the valance opening like a 65 Valiant.

Thanks, I like the idea of changing the marker lamp look....today while driving an oncoming late model Challenger spawned this idea : Scrub both marker lamps/ convert to inlets for dual turbo's! lol

Progress on bumper mounts: Before permanent mounts were possible, I threw up a temporary center mount to begin fitment. I cut the upper and lower bumper face and closed the angle towards the car to provide a better marriage along the lower grille arc. With that angle complete I can begin fabbing permanent frame to bumper mounts. After that I'll tackle shortening the bumper ends. I like the look but am not opposed to whatever changes may morph as I move forward.

20190916_113540.jpg

20190916_112729.jpg

I like everything I see going on. Congrats on your hard work.
If you ever decide to sell that piece let me know

I like everything I see going on. Congrats on your hard work.
If you ever decide to sell that piece let me know
Thanks for the compliment! I turn 60 years old in just over 4 years and my goal is to be finished by that date (or sooner). Self performing body and paint or winning the lottery is the next big challenge

the more you get this fitted, the better it looks. i don't think it would look good on a duster or dart, but it's working on that notch

Rear Fender lips get dropped next week. I circled back to unfinished details. Added aluminum reinforcement to the grille. Lots of time working on valance returns etc. This sequence shows the E body valance tail being lowered to match fender feature.Im pretty new to this level of detail in metal fab. It's slow going but I really dig it

20190923_103649.jpg

20190925_161420.jpg

20190925_123724.jpg

20190925_122019.jpg

20190925_122704.jpg

This sequence shows correcting fender radius to match the E body valance approach.

20190925_164100.jpg

20190925_164105.jpg

20190925_165634.jpg

20190925_170814.jpg

20190925_163216.jpg

2 mating surfaces are a couple... threes a serious pain. Most of this factory grille piece is hidden behind bumper, needs to get done though. I made a new right side return shaped to the inner fender and drilled holes for factory mounts. Needs to be removable for access to bumper bolts. This new return had to stay out of the joint, but slide behind the valance mount tab, extend to both mounting points and weld to the thin corner horizontal right corner of the filler piece. The filler piece dead ends at a bumper bracket. Lots of staring occurred during this one.

20190926_083754.jpg

20190928_132442.jpg

20190926_112828.jpg

20190928_123541.jpg

20190928_123544.jpg

20190928_125745.jpg

I'm gonna be honest I'm not a huge fan. However I'd admire your efforts and skill that's no easy task fabricating something like that! Imo and its just my opinion I think it would look alot better with 2 headlights instead of four. The center part of the grille is a 72-74 grille I think it would look better with 72-74 headlights and bezels. Imo the car front isnt wide enough for 4 headlights. Now if you were doing a 71 style grille it may look more in place. But it's your car none of my business lol. Congratulations on doing it your way you have done a fantastic job ! Keep up the hard work!

I kinda like it.......but I think it would look a LOT better if the header panel didn't drop down past the fenders. That said, it's your car and if you like it, that's all that matters.

THIS JUST IN: The following members were recently apprehended after fleeing the scene of a 10 man circle jerk. They will deny it but the Police have video proof. I'm sure we all understand that everyone has a "weird side" but....
Yunick 13
/6 Matt
Phreakish
Kursplat.

Sorry guys....the truth had to come out sooner or later.

:poke:

Last edited:
I'm gonna be honest I'm not a huge fan. However I'd admire your efforts and skill that's no easy task fabricating something like that! Imo and its just my opinion I think it would look alot better with 2 headlights instead of four. The center part of the grille is a 72-74 grille I think it would look better with 72-74 headlights and bezels. Imo the car front isnt wide enough for 4 headlights. Now if you were doing a 71 style grille it may look more in place. But it's your car none of my business lol. Congratulations on doing it your way you have done a fantastic job ! Keep up the hard work!
Thanks a bunch for the kudos. Im playing with reducing the marker lights ( these aren't quads) I agree that the marker light size is in direct conflict with the 73 look I want. I appreciate your comments!

Have you considered a Shaker hood scoop? You'll want to get one that is made for a 99 Dakota so it's sized to proportion.

Please do NOT "Move Forward" with this. It looks terrible. The workmanship may be top notch but the styling is not good.
Thanks for the workmanship compliment! Not everyone is gonna like what ive done, hell, there's times when I don't. I never had a complete plan or drawing, so I'm adapting as I go to a degree. Ive got confidence in some of my visual tastes and aspirations but I don't see everything, hence the focus on possibly changing the market lamps. I have a hunch you may like this after final paint and assembly. If not it's all good!

-
Back