1968 Barracuda Notch 340

-
Have you considered a Shaker hood scoop? You'll want to get one that is made for a 99 Dakota so it's sized to proportion.
Heck yes I have! I posted the only pic I could find of a 68 Barracuda with a shaker hood, the car is pink but the shaker looks good, thanks for the info!

Giving metal fab a rest today, I had welded the bumper bracket barrel spacers on so taking this opportunity to fit up the bumper again and squirt some rattle can black on the marker lamp surrounds, one of my ideas to set the headlamps apart from the marker lamps for a more '72-74 look. Pretty surprised it made this big of a difference. 2 other ideas included black lower eyelids for the marker lamps (not in favor) and adding black to lower grille opening "intakes" which gives the intakes a weird concave angle (not in favor)

Black Out.jpg

Can you remodel the upper front fascia so it is even with the upper inside curve of the fenders. It just doesn't look right sticking down as far as it is.
I hear you, right now that nose piece is a piece of black drawer fabric to mock up a custom piece, it is a little thick. (Keep in mind the 2014 Chally lights have flat tops) The custom nose will mimic this fabric in that it must reach out, around and under to cover upper grille surface. After that, the headlight surround trim pieces can be fabbed to match the new nose cross section

I hear you, right now that nose piece is a piece of black drawer fabric to mock up a custom piece, it is a little thick. (Keep in mind the 2014 Chally lights have flat tops) The custom nose will mimic this fabric in that it must reach out, around and under to cover upper grille surface. After that, the headlight surround trim pieces can be fabbed to match the new nose cross section
I can see it now, it will be a quantum change in the face of the car. Are you planning on leaving the area below the bumper as it is?

I can see it now, it will be a quantum change in the face of the car. Are you planning on leaving the area below the bumper as it is?
Good question, at first I wanted the 72-74 lower valance insert, I like the center post but not the square marker lights and it's almost 2x more $ than the 70 insert. I've mocked that post look up but it wasn't earth shattering. Maybe I've just gotten used to the blank look, I will at least mock up some screen in the opening at some point. I currently like the sharkish (albeit toothless)mouth look the way it is but not opposed to ideas. ill throw up a good before and after, I like the 3d effect of the E body valance vs factory valance

Grille Chop March 25 2019.jpg

Lights and valance done mock up colors May 31 2019.jpg

Lastly, I think the license plate recess in the bumper needs to be filled in to eliminate the buck toothed look, of course I will mock it up 40 different ways LOL

Lastly, I think the license plate recess in the bumper needs to be filled in to eliminate the buck toothed look, of course I will mock it up 40 different ways LOL
You are going to loose some airflow through the grille with the change. The bottom needs to be open for airflow but needs something, I don't know what---------------------------
You are right about the bumper indent but now you are getting into Kindig territory-----------------:) Well maybe you are already there with the whole thing too:)

You are going to loose some airflow through the grille with the change. The bottom needs to be open for airflow but needs something, I don't know what---------------------------
You are right about the bumper indent but now you are getting into Kindig territory-----------------:) Well maybe you are already there with the whole thing too:)
Agreed! Looking forward to having design and all fab stuff behind me

I do like the lower valance. That looks great.
Also, I can appreciate a non stock, custom thing if it flows well and looks like something that could have been a factory effort.
Imagine if we never had a Daytona or SuperBird and some crafty guy hung a pointy nose and huge wing on a B body....Most would not like it, I would guess.
Years back I contemplated a South America A-Body type treatment to the grille of my '67 Dart. Some of their cars had headlight doors similar to a 66-72 Charger. I abandoned the idea due to the complexity and that my car is a POS beater!
IMG_1214.JPG

Good luck.

I do like the lower valance. That looks great.
Also, I can appreciate a non stock, custom thing if it flows well and looks like something that could have been a factory effort.
Imagine if we never had a Daytona or SuperBird and some crafty guy hung a pointy nose and huge wing on a B body....Most would not like it, I would guess.
Years back I contemplated a South America A-Body type treatment to the grille of my '67 Dart. Some of their cars had headlight doors similar to a 66-72 Charger. I abandoned the idea due to the complexity and that my car is a POS beater!
View attachment 1715402230

Good luck.
Good point regarding the Daytona/ Superbird hypothetical. I gotta say im glad I joined this group and posted progress pics. Without the opinions and critiques here, I don't know if I would be looking at making what I think is good, better. Especially the marker light pseudo quad headlight conflict. Thanks to everyone for the compliments and critiques.

Good point regarding the Daytona/ Superbird hypothetical. I gotta say im glad I joined this group and posted progress pics. Without the opinions and critiques here, I don't know if I would be looking at making what I think is good, better. Especially the marker light pseudo quad headlight conflict. Thanks to everyone for the compliments and critiques.
BTW Kern Dog, that's a mean looking Dart... far from " beater" status if that's the car you referenced

Thanks. I have not driven it on the street in years. I use it around the yard.

Armor All bottle....it needed an Armor All bottle. LOL. Keeping my promise to do something on this car every day (Mon - Fri, ) has produced results but lately I'm a little fried on the design moves, mock ups and pics. When I have no reaction to an idea, it's time to move on to something tactile. getting back to some more metal fab tomorrow.

20191002_093423.jpg

Armor all  bottle.jpg

I LOVE this idea! Looks great. The 71 Cuda grille is the best looking of all Cudas, in my opinion. Great looking fab work too.

I LOVE this idea! Looks great. The 71 Cuda grille is the best looking of all Cudas, in my opinion. Great looking fab work too.
Thank you! Finding the Danko fiberglass grille was huge after stepping into the unknown by cutting the factory grille. I feel very fortunate . Rear fender lip sectioning/ lowering is next. After that, the custom nose and head light trim will be the last design challenge.... unless I do the shaker hood... unless I drop the top 2" ....oops was that my outside voice?

Day 1, dropping fender lips and chemotherapy. Rolling new lips, hammering roll pans to perfection is beyond my metal working skills so I'm trading this work out with a buddy. Love the progress

20191007_123819.jpg

20191007_163251.jpg

20191007_162502.jpg

I love the flowing lines of this A body, but the vestige form pushing a form Coke bottle formula came up just short on this car design, IMO, later it showed up in spades like on the 68+ Chargers n 70+ Cudas and Challengers. What I had envisioned to help this is becoming a reality with a 2.5" sectioning and a 2.25" drop.

20191010_095712.jpg

20191010_095544.jpg

20191010_095523.jpg

-
Back