Changing 727 driven gear ...

-

nitronut

Reaction score
I need to change the driven gear on a 727 transmission as I recently changed the speedometer cable and the speed reading is off because of a rear end gear change and larger tire size. Found the right gear replacement (40 tooth) and a new one is being delivered today from Mancini's. I've never replaced one before and understand it's fairly easy but I can't find any videos / info on how to do it. Any advice, instructions, etc. from anyone experienced would be most appreciated. Thanks!

I believe you unbolt it pull it out change gear. But when istalling you will see numbers on housing indicating number of teeth on your gear. Set it at your new # of teeth so you dont grind away your gear . You should look and reference the marks before getting started. Hopefully someone has some pics.

speedo 002 (Medium).jpg

Sometimes you lose a bit of fluid, if it hasn't been run in a while. Jack up the left side to minimize that problem.

It's been awhile but I think that the diameter of the gear changes with the number of teeth. Anyways the outside of the socket(?) that holds the gear may have different indentations for the clamp teeth (?) to enable you to rotate it to mesh with out to much pressure so the plastic gear won't break. If that made sense. Someone that can knows will chime in.
Duh see how slow I type. It has been covered above

Not the best "picture" but it shows where the alignment mark is on your case, and the gear range will be stamped on the housing.
Screenshot_20200917-201242_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20200917-200816_Office Mobile.jpg

When you lift the car to get under it, jack up the rear end higher than the front. Little to no fluid will come out.

-
Back