Changing a 3 on the tree 1964 dart to an automatic

-

puppet213

Reaction score
I know I am probably going to get a lot of hatred for this post from the old timers, but how would,I go about converting my three on the tree 1964 Dodge Dart to an automatic transmission? Would I need to weld something just get a whole new transmission I’m not trying to kiss anyone off I just believe I can get better times at the track with an automatic transmission in my car

3E086BC7-AB78-4537-BBF8-05DB0B1256A9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s a pretty easy swap - I would use a 66/67 904 with the matching small snout torque converter which will fit the recess in your crank. You didn’t say but you’re probably looking for a transmission to fit a slant. Add an aftermarket floor shifter. You can even continue using your current steering column (you’ve already removed the linkage at the bottom of the column). Remove the shifter handle if desired. You can even use your original brake pedal - push the clutch pedal to the floor - the spring will keep it there.

EDIT- no welding involved!

^^And don't forget to grab the driveshaft out of your donor car if from a Dart- it will be the correct length and have the necessary slip yoke for the transmission instead of your current ball & trunion setup. You will need the radiator, also- your current one probably has no provisions for the trans cooler line hookups. And you'll need the kickdown linkage parts, too.
Honestly, if you find a suitable donor, I would grab the steering column and linkage to use as well- keeps it looking "factory".

Last edited:
I know lots of young punks that love manual transmissions.

It's a very easy swap. If I had everything here, my old timer *** could have it done in half a day. In your area, you might contact @Princess Valiant. She might have some of the stuff to help get the job done. I have transmission, converter, flex plate and a drive shaft. The drive shaft would need to be shortened. But there's a lot of dirt between us, so @Princess Valiant might be your better bet.

I think I got a small snout convertor if you need one. Pre 68 904 for sure is what you need. PM me.

I know lots of young punks that love manual transmissions.

It's a very easy swap. If I had everything here, my old timer *** could have it done in half a day. In your area, you might contact @Princess Valiant. She might have some of the stuff to help get the job done. I have transmission, converter, flex plate and a drive shaft. The drive shaft would need to be shortened. But there's a lot of dirt between us, so @Princess Valiant might be your better bet.
Wouldn't a 64 have had a push button setup with an automatic??

I have everything for this swap if it were a 68 or newer car, I do not have anything for an early A in stock. :(

Wouldn't a 64 have had a push button setup with an automatic??

I have everything for this swap if it were a 68 or newer car, I do not have anything for an early A in stock. :(

Yeah, but I don't think he's interested in being Miss Numbers Matching America. He just wants an automatic, I think. lol

-
Back