changing from points to electronic

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well there is a good points system in my 170 /6 and it douse work well.
But for my first mod I would like to go to electronic ignition

I am hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction to replace it
with a electronic system. with instructions to change the 66 / over.

So with that being said, Where and what kind should I do the job I can install myself. This will be my first upgrade on Victoria.
This will be a simple and easy install for me

Thanks again for your time and help. I just want to make sure I don't get a bad system and I can see there are allot of members here that has dun this and it will help my /170 down the road .

Time to do more than drive it and wash it and start upgrades know that I have drove it over 700 miles, the oil is staying on the full mark.

This is a tough one. On the one hand, Pertronix is a good alternative. Replace the points with their Ignitor and down the road. On the other hand a new Mopar electronic ignition kit requires you to hook up 2 wires, swap the distributor and ballast resistor, and mount the control box. These are getting hard to find since they were discontinued by Mopar Performance years ago. In my experience the Pertronix isn't much easier to find either. A lot of people list it but few if any carry it. Got the ignition for Hester from CJMP (Central Jersey Motor Parts) on ebay. It is a Mopar Performance conversion kit that they still have in stock. Cost between the two wasn't enough to make a difference. Hope this helps.

When I did the electronic conversion on my \6 I got a rebuilt electronic distributor from a local parts store for about $40. A new ecu module from the same parts store was $20. The harness I cut out of a car at the local bone yard and it was free.

To give you a better advance curve replace the stiffer of the two springs in the rebuilt distributor with one of the light springs in the two spring kit from mopar perfromance ($5). If you use both springs the advance comes in to fast.

Hay grumpuscreature !! Mike's brother here Kutacando.
WE just ordered mike his ignition kit from Central Jersey Motor Parts:cheers:

He likes this system so he can see his install. =P~
Thanks for locateing it for him.
He is a happy camper that is still on cloud nine.:-D

I forgot to tell you that you will have to change your mechanical voltage regulator to electronic. ECUs don't like square waves. There are electronic regulators out there that are a direct swap for the one you have. Try seller rehrenberg on ebay. Sorry 'bout that. :ncool:

I installed a pertronix in my car over 5 yrs ago,and havent touched it since. Truely set and forget. Took about 15 min to install.

MSD Blaster coil is the way to go to.

Picture 264.jpg

ebay item number 330247925092 is the regulator you will need. $22 BIN with free shipping. 3 left.

ebay item number 330247925092 is the regulator you will need. $22 BIN with free shipping. 3 left.
Thanks grumpuscreature I bought one of the three he has left.
I sure do want to thank you very! very! much for your help here.
Nothing could replace a good Mopar part under my hood.
the other system is a good product I am sure
But you know me:-D
And how much I want to keep Victoria all Mopar:love7:

I forgot to tell you that you will have to change your mechanical voltage regulator to electronic. ECUs don't like square waves. There are electronic regulators out there that are a direct swap for the one you have. Try seller rehrenberg on ebay. Sorry 'bout that. :ncool:

The Wells drop in replacement regulartor for Advance or autozone has electronic guts and are about $11. They hook up the same and bolt to the same holes but the case is only about 1/2" thick.

its easy. throw a kit together yourself.

buy a dist rebuiult from any parts store
buy the ecu new from any parts store
buy the harness from MP its like $20

then the hook up is cake.

basically comes down to two wires. black with yellow tracer goes to - on the coil. the light blue with yellow tracer goes to the ballis on the key power side.

you may want to conver to a dual fld alt and regulator at the same time though. it will be more stable with the electronic ign in my opinion.

electronic%20ign%20conversion%5b1%5d...2.jpg

ecudia.jpg

here is the dual fld set up wiring. the one i have colored blue is the wire you will have to add.

new0regulator2.jpg

Well!! you know I just had to go this way abodyjoe.:-D
Victoria deserves the best and it will be a good looking install I will enjoy.
thanks for the great info. I hope this will make everyone here happy with my parts I have got for her.
I also picked up the electronic voltage reg, That has the original look.
grumpuscreature gave me two ways to do this and kept me in line.
Thank you David.
It did cost a bit more but we all know how much I love Victoria :cheers:

wwwwwwwwwww.jpg

Guess i,m old school. I like points except in high horse applications because they are so easy to diagnose when you have a problem.

Just read this post and ordered a regulator from 426stuff on e-bay.
I hope it works as good as it looks. No more flickering headlights!
Thanks for the info. I installed a Pertronics unit on my neighbors 67 Galaxie
and it took 15 min. and has worked flawlessly for 3 years now. I am trying to get one for my 66 hypo dual point. I tried a few years ago but no dice. I'll
try again. I wonder if there will be a booth at the Nationals? toolmanmike

Guess i,m old school. I like points except in high horse applications because they are so easy to diagnose when you have a problem.

Not only that but with an MSD box they work as good if not better than that magnetic pick up coil that can give false readings.

I just had my Accel point dist for a few days, today I really got on it and its just great. Maybe the factory points would have bounce but the 48 oz Accel points are just fine at 6200 rpms it seemed.

Kick myself for not getting one sooner.

Edit...oh you said expect for high horse power applications...not sure, I see no reason not. In fact I swear my car exhaust is a bit louder now with points, maybe that magnetic pick up wasn't firing every single time cause it like almost feels better too....too bad I have no way of timming my runs in a tenth of a second.

Memike, good luck with it. I have done it to my Dart and Cuda and love it. I just used parts I had laying around and used a diagram like what was posted on here. And I still use the same voltage reg. as was in there with the points, never had any problems so far and it has been a bout 8 years on the Dart and about 7 on the Cuda.

hard to get? got mine from Summit,,,usually in the front of Mopar Muscle mag. still running the original early a voltage regulator,,,no probs here

Is there any way to simplify the ignition system? I've tried searching, but come up with the same thread and haven't found a real answer. Is there a way to run a MSD box (or similar) and get rid of the ballast resistor and factory ECU? I don't totally understand the Mopar ignition system yet.

I guess the the choice is do you want some thing that is easy to diagnose and needs attention quite often to run well or something that may be a little more difficult to diagnose but virtually never fails (orange ECUs not included) and doesn't need any attention to run well.

I'm trying to pick up on exactly how they work. I'm not overly familiar with points, everything I've ever had was electronic.

Is there any way to simplify the ignition system? I've tried searching, but come up with the same thread and haven't found a real answer. Is there a way to run a MSD box (or similar) and get rid of the ballast resistor and factory ECU? I don't totally understand the Mopar ignition system yet.

Yes. The MSD box can wire up to any stock Mopar distributor from before the Lean Burn era. With a points distributor, connect the white wire to the points. With an electric distributor, you wire the green and purple wires to the pick-up coil. The MSD manual has a wiring diagram.

Alternatively, you could wire up a GM HEI module. Two wires to the coil, two wires to the distributor pickup, replace the ballast resistor with a shunt wire, and you're done. If anything, it's simpler than an MSD box.

I could give an explanation of the Mopar ignition system if you want, but it depends on how much detail you'd like me to go into...

The GM module has no advantage over the mopar ECU other than its smaller its nothing more than an electronic switch just like th emoar ECU. Contrary to what you see on the web you can't elminate the ballast resistor unless you get a coil that does not require the ballast and if you do that you can elminate it with the mopar ECU too.

Contrary to what you see on the web you can't elminate the ballast resistor unless you get a coil that does not require the ballast and if you do that you can elminate it with the mopar ECU too.
Are you serious or being sarcastic? Say I used an MSD 6A box, would that negate the need for the resistor and ECU? Or does the box simply amplify the signal that's sent out by the ECU?

-
Back