Changing gauge light color

-

Jesse Martin

Title Don't need no stinkin title!
Reaction score
After putting in my new tach and oil pressure gauge the color of the lights just dont fit with the original gauges. What I was wondering is, has anyone been able to match the original lights by tinting or painting the bulbs?
20190111_172709.jpg

Never had much luck with paint sticking on glass, paint gets hot and flakes off. You may consider bulb caps, never tried these..... ebay, bulb cap covers

s-l1600.jpg

I painted my gauge bulbs with spray paint awhile back. It was trial and error. It took a few tries to get enough on to get some color but not so much that it was too dim. Has worked ok for several months, but don’t know how long it will last.

I think you might be able to get different colored led bulbs, but once again, trial and error

OEM incandescent #158 is a yellow tint light ( wire on fire ). Blue tint diffusers turn that into almost coke bottle green glow.
Years ago ppl would tint their dome lamp bulb with thin coat of nail polish. That might be the least expensive test material depending on what sources you have.

After putting in my new tach and oil pressure gauge the color of the lights just dont fit with the original gauges. What I was wondering is, has anyone been able to match the original lights by tinting or painting the bulbs?View attachment 1715274213

I don't know if you know this or not but the inside of your main cluster is painted blue and causes the blue hue.
Paint or a bulb cover may work, but it'll take some experimenting.
You might consider using LED lighting to get them close to the same.

"Soft white" LED's are kind of close to the incandescent color, and "Sunlight" LED's have a blue hue.

You can see the Sunlight blue hue in my dome light.

roofand light.JPG

Never had much luck with paint sticking on glass, paint gets hot and flakes off. You may consider bulb caps, never tried these..... ebay, bulb cap covers

View attachment 1715274222
Searching for the bulb covers I found auto meter also made them, I ordered the green ones and they look spot on for the gauge cluster color.
20190114_170536 (1).jpg

It's a little hard to see in the picture but it looks way better than before.

20190114_170817.jpg

-
Back