Changing intakes

-

hippy 60

Reaction score
I found me a 64,65 2x4 intake for a 273 and was wondering how hard it would be to re-do the bolt holes to make it fit a 66 273,I know they are smaller and different angle i have read where you just drill them out to fit the bigger bolts is that right or what do you have to do.I can get it cheap and i like the looks of them.It's not a tunnel ram just a flat intake but it's in good shape.Thank's for any help.....

Most people want to go the other direction, and there are a lot fewer '64-'65 intakes in the world, hence you can get a higher price when selling a '64-'65 intake. If you can get one cheap, buy it, sell it to someone building a '64-'65 motor, use part of the cash to buy a '66-up intake and pocket the rest.

a friend had the same intake, we drilled the holes with a hand drill and bolted it on his 340 with 2 Carter 500s, ran good

a friend had the same intake, we drilled the holes with a hand drill and bolted it on his 340 with 2 Carter 500s, ran good
I didn't know if you could do that or not but that what i was told and that what i was goin to do so i guess i will get it and try it......THANKS......

I don't see why you couldn't use the gasket to mark where the holes are and just drill the holes.

I don't see why you couldn't use the gasket to mark where the holes are and just drill the holes.
I thought that would be the best way to do it,I have an old set of the metal one i could put them on there and go for it.....LOL

I'll choose cooks good over looks good every day. My personal preference doesn't apply but I stated anyway.
If you have a 273 that needs 2 4brls worth of CFM, you're prepared to deal with the linkage issues, tuning issues, etc.., have fun.
From a mechanical engineering standpoint, there really should be a land under the bolt head that is square to the bolt shank. In some high load assemblies where the bolt might bend, whats called a hill side washer is applied.
Since the intake is aluminum the bolt head will dig in some and create its own land to some degree depending on torque/retorque. In the end, there isn't a lot of load or torque here so the mismatched surfaces will work. Good luck with it.

I went the other way and countersunk the bolt holes of a 1966+ alum intake to fit to a 1965 273. I used conical flat-head allen bolts to kind-of fit the holes. I looked for such "hill-side washers" (post 8), but couldn't find anything that size or affordable, though I didn't know that name when searching McMaster-Carr. I wasn't happy with the ability to tighten the bolts and one water cross-over hissed slightly until I tightened more. I didn't worry about buggering a later intake since they are common. Since then, I bought a correct 4-bbl 64-65 intake so will probably swap. I sure wouldn't bugger one of those since valuable, especially your dual 4-bbl (extra rare). It is mainly good for bling and unlikely to give any performance improvement, and probably headaches.

I found me a 64,65 2x4 intake for a 273 and was wondering how hard it would be to re-do the bolt holes to make it fit a 66 273,I know they are smaller and different angle i have read where you just drill them out to fit the bigger bolts is that right or what do you have to do.I can get it cheap and i like the looks of them.It's not a tunnel ram just a flat intake but it's in good shape.Thank's for any help.....

Hey Hippy 60, Slantsixdan is correct, I just took at look on the wanted forum and saw three or four requests for the 65 x4 intake for the 273 those odd bolt holes make it rare and to retrofit it to another year would be a shame. I will need one myself at some point but haven't got to that point in my repairs... But if you want to sell it, PM me a price, I might find the $$ somewhere.

65Cudafix

Now the trouble is finding a 2X4 dual plane that is ment to work on your bolt angle.

I milled mine so the bolts would sit flush.

Dont drill a $$$ D-64 '65 2X4! Sell it and buy a $$ Edel D-66 or Offy 5615 (both later model duals) Offy still makes them $516 for either early or late bolt pattern, can even get a high rise, offy 5698 for about $598 As for making it fit, just chuck up a drill and lean it into the boss. then face the bolt top to match the angle. did that to a Performer onto a 65 A. worked great. Cheap AL casting is pretty soft.

I was wondering what size drill bit you used to drill the holes out on the intake.But on the one i got i put the gasket lines up with the intake and i put it on to see and sum of the bolts would go in and tighten up and sum were off,So i thought i would drill them out bigger.Thanks for your help......

-
Back