Charger/Commando valve covers.

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here's the difference in the covers.
1965 dual stovepipes for oil fill cap and pcv, individual spark plug wire insulators, wiring tabs for the passenger cover.

1966 dual stovepipes for oil fill cap and pcv, individual spark plug wire insulators, wiring tabs for the passenger cover, heavy center wiring insulator tab over the heat riser area.

1967 single stovepipe for the oil fill cap, drivers side, rubber grommet for pcv valve, passengers side, double spark plug wire holders, wiring tabs and heavy center wiring insulator over heat riser area. The cutouts for the plug wire insulators have a groove cut between them for the plastic insulator/separators to clip into.

Photos are 65, 66, and 67 in that order.

Charger-Commando 65.JPG

Charger-Commando66.jpg

Charger-Commando 67.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my 66 covers. 2 stove pipes and the extra wide clip in the center. (I think it was to keep the vacuum advance hose and wiring from getting too hot from the heat riser passage)

100_4067.JPG

Last edited:
And here is another photo of the 67 covers with the 2 wire spark plug wire holder and the pcv grommet. It has the wide heat protector as well. Something I just noticed is the raised area around the stovepipe and grommet areas on the 67's that the earlier covers don't have.

Charger-Commando 67.JPG

Last edited:
I thought I might have a pair of 67 covers but I have 2 sets of 65 covers. Here is the passenger side cover detail

20190921_112642.jpg

Toolman! I stand corrected. I thought the clips for the wiring harness was the same on 65 and 66 but you are right. Are the ignition cable holder the same for 65 and 66 too? You know the ones that goes around the cable and mounts to the aluminium fins.

Toolman! I stand corrected. I thought the clips for the wiring harness was the same on 65 and 66 but you are right. Are the ignition cable holder the same for 65 and 66 too? You know the ones that goes around the cable and mounts to the aluminium fins.
I believe the fins are all the same. @CudaChick1968 can chime in. The spark plug wire insulators are the same for 65 and 66 and of course the 67's are double wire holders.

I thi k 67s are different. You have a small square hole in between the loops. That's where the insulators hook up.
That could be. I can't see on the photos and I don't own a set of 67's. :BangHead::BangHead:
The photo in post #8 doesn't show it though.

67s have the rubber grommet on pass side with the "cupped" harness holder. Ds has stove pipe.
I got pics somewhere
Heres pics hope u can make it out.

20180702_201903.jpg

67s have the rubber grommet on pass side with the "cupped" harness holder. Ds has stove pipe.
I got pics somewhere
Heres pics hope u can make it out.

View attachment 1715397247
A close up of the harness holder would be dandy.

The hose you see in 4spdragtop's photo is for the CAP (Clean Air Package) system. 1965-67.

Last edited:
I thi k 67s are different. You have a small square hole in between the loops. That's where the insulators hook up.
Here ya go Ulf. These are 1967 covers. @CudaChick1968 had these pictured on her site. I see the holes for the spark plug wire insulators. If you look carefully, you can see the slot on the right side of the top valve cover on post#1 (last photo)

Charger-commando 67.jpg

Here ya go Ulf. These are 1967 covers. @CudaChick1968 had these pictured on her site. I see the holes for the spark plug wire insulators. If you look carefully, you can see the slot on the right side of the top valve cover on post#1 (last photo)

View attachment 1715397257
I totally agree with you Toolman! Between the place for each ignition wire you can see that square hole for the insulator. But wasn't those insulators on 66 as well?

I totally agree with you Toolman! Between the place for each ignition wire you can see that square hole for the insulator. But wasn't those insulators on 66 as well?
Nope. the plug wire insulators were individual on the 66's. Here's my originals. I still use the original plastic/nylon insulators.

spring break09 006.JPG

engine 290.jpg

Thanks Toolman, then we have it all figured out! Amazing group! There is always something new to learn too.

Don’t think the wide center wire holder/bracket for 66-67 was for heat...think it was more to keep the wires from getting caught up in the carb/choke linkage...thought I read that somewhere....great thread Toolmanmike!

I believe the fins are all the same. @CudaChick1968 can chime in. The spark plug wire insulators are the same for 65 and 66 and of course the 67's are double wire holders.

There are only three differences in fins as far as I know.

One style have full rear upright posts where the rubber grooved spark plug wire retainers slip in and fit. The other style has a small slot in that upright where the white plastic wire separator clips in. New plastic retainers are easy to install but difficult to remove without breaking them.

All were fully polished from the factory but only some stayed that way. Most have argent silver in the recesses between the fins.

I have noticed another difference too in the larger side wire harness retainer. Some are 4" wide and the others are 3 1/2".

Thanks for the mention @toolmanmike! I have a set here in line right now for a new Hawaiian customer.

There are only three differences in fins as far as I know.

One style have full rear upright posts where the rubber grooved spark plug wire retainers slip in and fit. The other style has a small slot in that upright where the white plastic wire separator clips in. New plastic retainers are easy to install but difficult to remove without breaking them.

All were fully polished from the factory but only some stayed that way. Most have argent silver in the recesses between the fins.

I have noticed another difference too in the larger side wire harness retainer. Some are 4" wide and the others are 3 1/2".

Thanks for the mention @toolmanmike! I have a set here in line right now for a new Hawaiian customer.
Thanks for the additional info Leanna. I remembered your comments before about the polish/argent fins but I knew I shouldn't comment without knowing thew facts. You're the expert. How many sets have you done so far? (how many dozens) LOL Mine are what, 10 years old, and still look like new.

Thanks for the additional info Leanna. I remembered your comments before about the polish/argent fins but I knew I shouldn't comment without knowing thew facts. You're the expert. How many sets have you done so far? (how many dozens) LOL Mine are what, 10 years old, and still look like new.

Thank you for that Mike but even after a lifetime of "gearhead-ness" and twenty years of powder work, I'll never call myself an expert because there's always something new to learn (as evidenced by this terrific thread). I'd really love to be able to come up with a better way to restore the fins than the exceedingly tedious "start literally from scratch" method I use now. Each fin takes a minimum of four hours and really drives up my bill but it's the only way I've found to replicate what the factory did.

It's delightful to learn you're still happy after a decade [muahhhhhhhh] and agree the thread should be a Sticky.

I've never added up how many have crossed my bench over the years but would estimate it's probably five or six dozen by now. Each set has its own unique challenges, and yet they all end up exceeding even my own overly high expectations. I upgraded to using a wonderful ceramic clear on the fins rather than clear powder a couple years ago; it protects them for a lifetime without affecting all that polishing work.

The timer's going off. Back to work .................... << bootie shake >> :D

Jed's Before Pics - fins 1.jpg

Jed's Before Pics - fins 5.jpg

Jed's Before Pics - fins 6.jpg

Jed's Before Pics - fins 8.jpg

Jed's Before Pics2.jpg

Jed's Commandos After.jpg

Here's the difference in the covers.
1965 dual stovepipes for oil fill cap and pcv, individual spark plug wire insulators, wiring tabs for the passenger cover.

1966 dual stovepipes for oil fill cap and pcv, individual spark plug wire insulators, wiring tabs for the passenger cover, heavy center wiring insulator tab over the heat riser area.

1967 single stovepipe for the oil fill cap, drivers side, rubber grommet for pcv valve, passengers side, double spark plug wire holders, wiring tabs and heavy center wiring insulator over heat riser area. The cutouts for the plug wire insulators have a groove cut between them for the plastic insulator/separators to clip into.

Photos are 65, 66, and 67 in that order.

View attachment 1715397296

View attachment 1715397297

View attachment 1715397298
Great info Toolmanmike, Thanks

View attachment 1715397257

Those are my valve covers that she did for me.... :D

Giggity, giggity... :lol:

A close up of the harness holder would be dandy.

The hose you see in 4spdragtop's photo is for the CAP (Clean Air Package) system. 1966 and 67 only from what I have seen. CAP in 65? Anybody have any info?
My '65 Dart from L.A. plant has the CAP.
IMG_3523.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
-
Back