Cheap decent 6x9s for farm truck ?

-

Rice Nuker

Let the Coal Roll!
Reaction score
Got a farm truck. Need to crank some lynerd skynerd and other drinkin music.
Existing sony explodes are exploding after 8 years of use.

looking for cheap (prefer low rms like 30 - 50) 6x9 speakeros maybe 2 way or 3 way, or 1 way.

Any decent suggestions?

Thanks.

I bought these for my car and they sound great! Free shipping also.

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-TS-A6965R-6-x9-3-WAY-CAR-AUDIO-COAXIAL-SPEAKER-PAIR-/290883578417?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item43ba032a31"]Pioneer TS A6965R 6"x9" 3 Way Car Audio Coaxial Speaker Pair 884938187633 | eBay[/ame]

I second the Pioneers. Good sound, decent RMS power with good sound at or near peak power. Inexpensive with good sound. Add a small AMP and your set real good!

I think were shooting a bit high on price. 50 bucks a pair is spencive. I will need to run 4 and still have enuff money for Old Crow Reserve.

I put Pioneer 6x9s in the back of my Intrepid, bought from Wolly World. Sound really good, even my friend who can shred guitar like none other said they sound pretty good. Can vibrate the glass pretty decent even while I blair country music.

:headbang:

if your looking for cheap speakers buy a pair of 6x9's online or at fry and be happy. If it were my it would only be a 3 way...

if you REALLY want some nice sound look into low level Rockford fosgate (RF Tech) or POLK audio. cheap is a bad word in audio...

805, yea I understand what you mean about quality, but this is not the application for that. :)

The sony explodes were just fine (for my application) for years till the perimeter started separating.

Don't get planet Audio, whatever you do... I bought a set for the Dart while I was waiting on having money for a set of Diamonds and they had this horrible unbalanced sound to them that is just hard to describe. They were cheap, like $30 for a set of 6x9s. I've bought Pioneer and Kenwood 6x9's in the past and never had an issue, but these deemed immediate replacement. I swapped em out for a set of whatever was cheap at Best Buy which wound up being a set of Pioneer 6x9's for $40, and the awful, tinny, raspyness went away. Night and day difference.

805, yea I understand what you mean about quality, but this is not the application for that. :)

The sony explodes were just fine (for my application) for years till the perimeter started separating.

get a marine speaker so it will be water proof and pretty much weather proof, should last a long time but sound is a toss up... again 3 way is your friend

I think were shooting a bit high on price. 50 bucks a pair is spencive. I will need to run 4 and still have enuff money for Old Crow Reserve.

Really? .... Really! Expensive?!?! Really!!!! Your thinking that is expensive!
Holy cow! You need a better job!

if you really want a deal get some 6 x 9's out of a 90's Crown Vic at the boneyard...
a couple of bucks each around here.

http://www.parts-express.com/t3-audio-t69c-6-x-9-coaxial-speaker-pair--269-096

Follow that link for a very good set of 6x9s for a really good deal. For the price I don't think you can go wrong.

Carbon fiber cones with rubber surrounds. The aluminum cone tweeter will be pretty bright but may have a little bit of a tinny sound. I'd run them in my farm truck.

I've been installing and selling car audio for nearly 20 years.

Jobs been great for 10 years there hausenfeffer. I just don't frivolously spend money on a farm truck that I occasionally share with racoons. They drive it during the week to gather dead squirrels and stack stumps as they are building a hut and outfitting it with rations, for the rapture. I get the truck on the weekends..

Really? .... Really! Expensive?!?! Really!!!! Your thinking that is expensive!
Holy cow! You need a better job!

Cool. Looks like if I get 4 I can get a price break too. Thanks much. Oh, its pairs. Anyway, thanks for the info.

http://www.parts-express.com/t3-audio-t69c-6-x-9-coaxial-speaker-pair--269-096

Follow that link for a very good set of 6x9s for a really good deal. For the price I don't think you can go wrong.

Carbon fiber cones with rubber surrounds. The aluminum cone tweeter will be pretty bright but may have a little bit of a tinny sound. I'd run them in my farm truck.

I've been installing and selling car audio for nearly 20 years.

Shark: Are you drunk?
12 oz Mouse: Not drunk enough.

Yea, my apologies to people who like to see musician's names spelled correctly in a thread about alcohol and farm truck speakers :).
Apparently it's spelled more interestingly than I had imagined.

http://www.lynyrdskynyrd.com/

shark: Are you drunk?
12 oz mouse: Not drunk enough.

Yea, my apologies to people who like to see musician's names spelled correctly in a thread about alcohol and farm truck speakers :).
Apparently its spelled more interestingly than i had imagined.

http://www.lynyrdskynyrd.com/

LMAO, maybe they had too much of sumpin' when they came up with the spelling. :D

Sounds like fun though, cruisin' the woods with a bottle of whiskey and a good ole southern rockin roller crankin out. Ahhh the good ole days.

Spec wise, I would go with the Pioneers for the little extra $$, the 92dB SPL (Sound Pressure Level) rating is going to be noticeably louder than the 88.1dB SPL rating of the T3's.

SPL is the speaker's efficiency rating and is measured with a dB meter at a distance of 1 meter from the speaker with 1 watt of power driving it, for every 3dB increase in SPL you need 2x the power from the amp.

For example, at 32 watts RMS from the amp the Pioneer's would put out about 109dB SPL, at the same 32 watts with the T3's it would be about 103dB SPL. To match the Pioneer speakers 109dB SPL, the T3's would require 128 watts of power.

It is going to be a long *** time until they take that away from the Southern Man. They'll be driving around in the woods with friends in 4x4s and having field parties with entire tree bond fires until the end of friggin time.

:)

LMAO, maybe they had too much of sumpin' when they came up with the spelling. :D

Sounds like fun though, cruisin' the woods with a bottle of whiskey and a good ole southern rockin roller crankin out. Ahhh the good ole days.

That is quite informative information there... I hardly understand it.

I am concerned with the rms at this point since I will be driving it with a low power single amp unit. My limited experience with auto (or any) stereo is that matching ohms and rms works nicely - speaker and head unit output.

If I understand correctly, you are representing the noise production efficiency capabilities of the speaker based on input wattage? At what frequency would this test be standardized (if there is a standard)? Or do they simply play Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man at 1 watt as a standard?

Thank you in advance for any additional light or sound that you can shed in my direction.

Spec wise, I would go with the Pioneers for the little extra $$, the 92dB SPL (Sound Pressure Level) rating is going to be noticeably louder than the 88.1dB SPL rating of the T3's.

SPL is the speaker's efficiency rating and is measured with a dB meter at a distance of 1 meter from the speaker with 1 watt of power driving it, for every 3dB increase in SPL you need 2x the power from the amp.

For example, at 32 watts RMS from the amp the Pioneer's would put out about 109dB SPL, at the same 32 watts with the T3's it would be about 103dB SPL. To match the Pioneer speakers 109dB SPL, the T3's would require 128 watts of power.

My 72,

Maybe I should clarify my question if possible..

Do rms and "SPL" rating have a correlation? Would a 200 rms speaker have less "sensitivity" than a 60 rms speaker at the same ohms? And would a 200 rms speaker produce less SPL than a 60 rms speaker?

My understanding of RMS is that it is an average or typical operating wattage which I would think is my first priority after operating at correct ohms. Or should I more be concerned with SPL than RMS?

I am running a low wattage 4 channel setup.

Thank you.

I see you are in CA. Perhaps you have the same issue I do.

Here in FL speakers with foam surrounds barely last a year.

I always look for rubber surrounds as they tend to last A LOT longer.

The marine speaker solution is similar, but perhaps a bit more difficult and pricey.

-
Back