Cheap Multimeter Fact or Fiction

-

Arron tate

T B L
Reaction score
Hello All,
Recently I read a thread on FABO about testing and troubleshooting electrical circuits.
The majority of the responders to that thread warned about using cheap Electrical meter’s (Harbor Freight)
This got me wondering how cheap is cheap? What is the accuracy of the so called cheap meter?

Well I decided to put a cheap meter to the test and see for myself how cheap is cheap!
First I did some research to confirm that the Harbor Freight meter was in fact cheap, sold in numerous outlets, and last but not least I was able to borrow a DT830B from friend. He keeps it in the trunk of his car (yes it’s a late 60s Mopar) to do trouble shooting / repairs on the road if needed.

E Bay is selling the DT830B for $3.78 shipping included.
DT830B Digital Multimeter AC DC Voltmeter Ammeter Ohmmeter Voltage Tester Meter | eBay
Harbor Freight Salvage is selling the DT830B for $6.39 you pick up Or add $6.99 S/H fees.
7 Function Digital Multimeter
To use as for comparison to the cheap test meter the following two meters I have were used.
Meter number one = Fluke 105B Scopemeter Series II
Fluke 105B Series II Digital Scope Meter Portable Oscilloscope 100MHz | eBay
Meter number two = Amprobe ACDC-3000
Amprobe Acdc-3000 1000a Multimeter Clamp Meter Cc-acdc Carrying Case Accessory for sale online | eBay
Meter number three = DT830B Digital Multimeter

The following resistors were used to compare the three meters.
8 kΩ Gold band from DigiKey.com
330 KΩ Gold band from DigiKey.com
1 Meg Ω Gold band from Radio Shack
Power supply used = Leader LPS 151

OHM resistance test.
Test one.
8 KΩ resister used as test subject.
Fluke 105B displayed 08.04 KΩ on the + 30 KΩ scale.
Amprobe ACDC-3000 displayed 08.01 KΩ on the + 40 KΩ scale.
DT830B Digital Multimeter displayed 8.04 KΩ on the + 20 KΩ scale.

Test two
330 KΩ resister used as test subject.
Fluke 105B displayed 0.324 KΩ on the + 3 KΩ scale.
Amprobe ACDC-3000 displayed 325.3 KΩ on the + 400 KΩ scale.
DT830B Digital Multimeter displayed 327 KΩ on the + 2000 KΩ scale.

Test three
1 meg Ω resister used as test subject.
Fluke 105B displayed 0.982 KΩ on the + 3 meg Ω scale.
Amprobe ACDC-3000 displayed 0.979 meg Ω on the + 4 meg Ω scale.
DT830B Digital Multimeter displayed 983 meg Ω on the + 2000 meg Ω scale.
Voltage DC test using the Leader LPS 151 Power supply.

Test one.
10 Vdc (no Load)
Fluke 105B displayed 10.00 Vdc on the +10v scale.
Amprobe ACDC-3000 displayed 10.6 Vdc on the 40v scale.
DT830B Digital Multimeter displayed 10.06 Vdc on the 20v scale.

Test two
25 Vdc (no Load)
Fluke 105B displayed 25.00 on the + 30v scale.
Amprobe ACDC-3000 displayed 25.14 Vdc on the 40v scale.
DT830B Digital Multimeter displayed 25.6 Vdc on the 200v scale.

Test three
5 Vdc (no Load)
Fluke 105B displayed 05.01 Vdc on the + 10v scale.
Amprobe ACDC-3000 displayed 05.05 Vdc on the 40v scale.
DT830B Digital Multimeter displayed 5.04 on the 20v scale.

As you can see the data collected the results are surprisingly eye opening.
Who would think the El Cheapo Harbor Freight DT830B could hold its own compared to the more expensive well-known brands. If you read the specification sheet this El Cheepo it has some impressive accuracy for only $3.78 shipping included. And as an added bonus it will also do Transistors for those of us that want to repair that AM radio in our ride.

Please draw your own conclusions from the information provided and testing depicted in this thread.
I have more pictures of the meters used during the testing but I am limited by this site to the number I can upload.

Notes:
All tests were performed using alligator type jumpers to connect meters to test items to prevent / minimize faulty connections.
All tests were performed three times to confirm repeat-ability.
All meters were powered by their own internal battery power to prevent / minimize outside noise / EMI.
All resistors used during testing were new.
All meters were on auto scale where applicable or scaling was selected closest to the expected outcome.
Testing was done to represent actual tests that would be completed on older type cars (FABO)

Happy Mopar :)

Arron.

Test 1 A.JPG

Test 1 B.JPG

Test 1 C.JPG

Test 2 A.JPG

Test 2 B.JPG

Test 2 C.JPG

test 3 A.JPG

Test 3 B.JPG

Test 3 C.JPG

Test 4 A.JPG

Last edited:
Nice write up and thank you for the evaluations. Excellent job.

Please add one (or three)piece to the puzzle.

I own a few of those HF “cheap” and a few off brand categorized as “cheap”
I also own a few Fluke meters. All of excellent quality. So I am familiar with them all. I buy cheap ones for my service trucks so if somebody walks off I’m out a lot less money than a Fluke.

The leads for the meters on cheap units are smaller in Gauge and shorter in length.

The cheap units if hit with any type of cleaning aerosol turn white- including the face. My Flukes are cleaned regularly with brake and parts cleaner to get grease off units. No troubles.

The cheap units do not have easy access to adapters and testers like the Flukes. I can walk into almost any electrical store and get new leads or adapters for the fluke as long as the store is open.

The fuses inside the cheap units are inexpensive glass style (or at least on all of mine they are) easy to find.
The fuses on the flukes are special style only found on line and not easy to find by my shop.

Both have merit and warrant use. You can buy approx 100 inexpensive Harbor freight units for a well versed Fluke. If you wait for the coupon from HF... it’s free. Lol!
Thank you again for this info. I loved it.
Joe

Great write up. gotta love the scientific method!

Just a short note of caution if you use ANY meter on higher voltages (even in your home). Steer clear of anything not UL listed(OR nationally equivalent ) and make sure it is a Category 3 or higher.
I have seen the pictures of lower grade meters (and hands) that have blown up. Just be safe and use the right tool for the right job.

Put a weak battery in the harbor freight meter and try it again. You may be surprised.

I have used meters for 30 years. On low voltage to high 480vac and 12,000DC. The cheap meters are decent for auto motive applications. That is what I keep in my car. 110vac and higher would stay clear of any Thing not catIII rated. Even the Chinese stuff may say CATIII it probably is not. If it is internally fused it is most likely legit.

I love the harbor freight free meters for general use. Sometimes I might use 4 or 5 at a time when I am working on something where I want to monitor multiple voltages and current at once. Can’t really do that if you have to buy expensive meters. They are not really durable enough for any sort of rough service, but who cares. Toss it & go get another one. If you ever feel the need to hit something with a hammer after a bad day, they are very satisfying....

Check that harbour fright trash after it's been in your toolbox for a few years. Once those components start to go, and it won't take long, your readings will likely change and you get NO warning.

For low voltage I would not be afraid to use that cheap meter, but I work in industrial maintenance and there is no way in hell I would ever use it on anything over 110v. Nice write up tho.

I got carb cleaner on the face of my LG DMM, the lens turned milky white. I had to sand it and tried to polish it but it still looks like crap. I like the meter and have about 5 others, 3 are analog for swinging voltages and dialing in vintage hi-fi pots. Many cheap meters have fuses well below their rated capacity. This guy is awesome, funny and informative...

^^Many of the earlier model Simpson 260's did not have a 25V scale, making them a poor choice for "anything 12V" as the 50V scale was just too difficult for decent accuracy

Like this one........goes from 10V to 50V...........

simpson_260-2_01.jpg

I recently bought 3 "much used" Fluke 70 series for 20 bucks apiece. I've lost count of how many I've got. I hear, however, that the newer Fluke stuff suffers from "The China Syndrome"

For low voltage stuff I completely agree. For high voltage stuff, I also completely agree with what other guys have stated. For DC car stuff...harbor freight all the way. For AC, multiphase, ect...no way! Not betting my life or anybody else's on dollar store junk. I don't trust my life to what any screen says, and always double check. With that being said...we use Flir. I trust the company and would put them against anybody in the "kill you dead" arena.

Very Interesting, Thanks.

By the way...some of us are off by few hundredths +/- all the time!

Last edited:
I also have a Simpson 260 analog meter & a Fluke LCD meter. These are for my personal use & not loaned out. Ask me why.

The last time I loaned one of my meters out, It came back with cheap batteries in it & it looked liked it had been used as a football. Never again.

I have a Fluke 87 that I've had for 10 or 12 years that I use a lot but for most things on the car I use one of the many HF freebies I have. I have to admit that the beeper on the Fluke when checking continuity is the cats azz.

-
Back