Cheated cams

-

oldkimmer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have this comp cam 23000 6. It's a super stock cheater cam I can't find any info on it. My 440 has the pistons .100 in the hole. I would like to use this cam but I fear the compression will be to low and it will be pretty sad performance. What's ur thoughts. Thanks Kim

Last edited:
Not happy ones at the prospect of its use in the low compression engine.

Oooo! Yea man! Numbers at the end of the camshaft?

I have called comp on many cams and they seem to always have the #'s
Give them a call

Also find some 67 915 heads, they always help a little.

Cheater cams were ground to do exactly what their name implies. Cheat the restrictive rules regarding certain classes of racing.

Most of the time, those rules included running stock compression and limited to stock lift. That's why cheater cams usually have pretty wild durations and LSA's but pretty low lift to keep within the rules.

So......one could argue cheater cams were designed to run in an otherwise stock engine. As long as converter and gear matches the cam, it will probably run pretty good.

If it was for a ss motor or even a stocker forget it . they need 5000+ stall and 5 +gears.They havent used flat tappets in s/s in years.

Your pistons are taller than mine (rough measure about .180" down)...I'm going to try the MP .484 cam. I may not like it, but it's what's I have.

One of the car mags (maybe Car Craft?) had a cheater cam and decided to play with it in a Mopar smallblock. They are VERY hard on the valvetrain due to the "square" lobes, and they couldn't get it to idle under 1800 rpm. Made power at astronomical RPM though. Do you really want to run one?

I have a old Sig Erson cam that has .465 Lift, 310 Dur. & 111 lobe center
New in box, not sure if I want to try it or not.

My old duster had a 440 with the 6 PAC piston and an old 70s cheater cam it idled fine at 800 rpm. Ran right on 11 seconds. Kim

I have a old Sig Erson cam that has .465 Lift, 310 Dur. & 111 lobe center
New in box, not sure if I want to try it or not.

That thing will rattle your fillings.

Hell yes use it. Unhook the tach if you don't like a 1500 RPM idle. I had to do that several times to customers who bitched about idle speed. Works every time.

-
Back