Check out my dads 1966 Barracuda "S"

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
Thought I would share with FABO some pictures of my dads 1966 Barracuda Formula "S". He bought it when he was 17 for $650, and it is his very first car! He restored it in 1986, and still brings it to car shows after all these years. The car was super solid before it was restored, everything is stock except the camshaft. Almost every part on this car was on it from day 1 except the tailights, 14" rims, exhaust and reasonator, which were all replaced with NOS parts bought dirt cheap in the late eighties! (used to have dual exhaust and Rocket mags) HIPO 273 Commando, 4-speed, 8 3/4 rear, disc brakes and swaybar just to name a few! It is the rare Citron Gold with Citron gold interior. He is very proud of this car and it was also his first restoration project. (currently restoring a 59 dodge Sweptside). The car is showing a little wear but still looks great for a car restored 22 years ago. I had to resize the pictures and they turned out a little wavy, no, thats not bondo! :toothy10: Pictures were taken last year, enjoy!

1966_Olive_273_S_Barracuda_front.sized.jpg

1966_Olive_273_S_Barracuda_rear.sized.jpg

1966_Olive_273_S_Barracuda_engine.sized.jpg

1966_Olive_273_S_Barracuda_interior.sized.jpg

Bought it when he was 17 and still owns it? that is completely cool, amazing and a very nice ride!

Chuck

Cool! I see it's got that rare extra large single master cylinder...I've only seen a couple of those.

Nice! My 66 was originally the same color combo. The only difference is that mine was not a Formula S, but had all of the good stuff, like the Commando 273, the 4 speed, etc. It had a black vinyl top.

That is awesome! You don't found them so often in that condition! And with the hp engine and 4-on-the-floor with disc brakes. Sweeeeet

Wow, that`s a well done resto and compliments to your dad for his work and the tenacity to hold on to that car for so long.

Thats awesome, most people have stories of the cars they use to have congrats to your Dad for having the smarts most of us never did!! Thanks for giving us something hot to look at!!!!

VERY Beautiful Car!

Did I understand your post correctly to imply that these cars had single exhaust originally? If so, I did not know that. I would have assumed a HIPO 273 would have duals... Interesting...

Ray

65 and 66 Hp cars had a high perf exhaust system. The trans crossmember is formed for only one pipe. The hp exhaust has a 2 1/2" y pipe and intermediate pipe going into a hp muffler. The over axle pipe is 2 1/4"
and finishes off into a resonator with a squared chrome tip. The system is still available through Accurate Exhaust Products. Toolmanmike

Thats awesome, most people have stories of the cars they use to have congrats to your Dad for having the smarts most of us never did!! Thanks for giving us something hot to look at!!!!

Yes, it is pretty cool to say you still own your very first car. I still own my fisrt car, a 1974 Satellite Sebring Plus I bought when I was 16, now 30, I WILL NEVER SELL IT! Too bad my dad didn't have a Hemi car, that would be cool! Because of his Barracuda, I have been brainwashed into the Mopar hobby for as long as I can remember! :heart: (wouldn't have it any other way!!)

Thanks for all the great comments guys! My dad doesn't have a computer so I have read the comments to him and he is tickled pink! He just purchased a rust-free 1967 Barracuda coupe a year ago, I will try to get some pics of this future project! Keith.

Give your dad a big pat on the bake for me.:wave:
That fish is a nice one:thumbrig: and thanks for sharing:tongue5:

65 and 66 Hp cars had a high perf exhaust system. The trans crossmember is formed for only one pipe. The hp exhaust has a 2 1/2" y pipe and intermediate pipe going into a hp muffler. The over axle pipe is 2 1/4"
and finishes off into a resonator with a squared chrome tip. The system is still available through Accurate Exhaust Products. Toolmanmike

Hey Toolmanmike:

Thanks for the enlightening! By my own admission what I know about the early A-Bodies wouldn't fill a thimble - but I am interested in broadening my knowledge... Would the same be true of one of the D/Darts or did those cars even have an exhaust system???

My humble apologies if anyone thinks that I hijacked the thread. I'm just curious...

Ray

And as far as I'm concerned, had the sweetest exhaust sound!

i've never heard hi-po exhaust. I'll start a new thread. Mike

66 340 sedan, Do you know the paint code for the Barracuda? It looks like
ZZ1 gold poly metallic. Mike

Looks great all new and shiny looking. I'm still trying to deside wether to paint my Dart ZZ1 or another color. With the cost of paint and body work
now days I don't want to make the wrong choice. My Dart is one of 1237
66 GT's with the HP273 and a 4-speed. If it were original it still wouldn't be worth a fortune (like a Hemi or a 440 car). I like the new burnt orange colors.
That color goes good with chrome and Black vinyl top. toolmanmike

Go for it! I know a guy here who has a 66 Dart GT 273 HIPO 4-speed, citron gold ZZ1 paint with the same gold interior, all original and complete but needs a complete resto. I think it looks sweet that color!

-
Back