Checking k-frame for straightness

-

Trevor B

Reaction score
I've pulled the k-frame from my poor crashed Duster and am preparing to install into new body. But the impact must have bent the left lower control arm and left strut rod. I'm replacing those but how can I check to see if the k-frame itself is bent?

Measure in every direction you can think of, including checking square, that means measuring corner to corner, then place frame side down on a known flat surface and measure height at center, front rear and sides. I don't know any way to be completely certain without bolting it in, may need to have it checked by a frame or alignment shop.

If your new body is there. Try the bare frame by hanging it from the mounting bolts and see if all four points are spaced the same to the rails if not may be twisted. Also check for cracks where the LCA mounts. As said measure mounting holes crisscross and rear to front. should all be the same.

IMO the "K" is toast . No matter how much you want to use it you gotta ask yourself . "Is it worth my life to use a damaged part ".

Yes but is it damaged ? Control arm and strut rod are not the K frame. Did the tire get hit in accident because that would bent LCA and strut rod.

Yes, I believe the tire took some of the hit. Most of impact on driver door and rocker. Bent car into a mild L shape. I only knew the LCA was damaged when I had to pry it apart on the bottom to access the torsion bar adjusting bolt to loosen it. Then when I pulled the K-frame and pulled off the left LCA, I noticed that the strut was bent at the bottom, where it goes through the LCA.

Last edited:
Measured everywhere and compared with another (identical year) K-frame. It seems that the suspension components absorbed the blow. Now I'm just gonna take the extra time and weld it up a little. Thanks, folks!

-
Back