Checking Out A Machine Shop

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
I'm hoping to start on my 408 Edelbrock headed stroker this spring or summer. I haven't done a V8 performance build in well over 30 years so I'm sure some things have changed. I plan to have my block zero-decked, bored, & align-honed. I have to make a 200 mile plus round trip next week & plan to check out a machine shop if I get the time. This shop was recommended to me by a couple of brothers who run the local Chevy dealership (only new car dealership in town). One of them has a stroker in a Camaro & the other has a stroked big block mopar in a tubbed B Body. What do I need to look for or what questions should I be asking when I go to the shop? I know about the normal cleanliness/organization of the shop kind of stuff, but what machines, etc. should I look for these days? I do know that I emailed them once & they said they have honing plates for a small block.

Here's a link to the shops website.

http://www.sehrpower.com/

Anybody in the Sioux Falls, South Dakota area dealt with these guys? Any horror stories or other shop recommendations??

Just looked at their web site and they seem to know what they are doing. Looks to be mostly a Chevy shop. Which I have seen be a small problem when it comes to Mopars. But if they have done many engines and are smart, should be fine.
If you pick a good combo of parts and they do good machining, you'll have a great engine.

My old boss could build great Chevys, knew all the ins and outs. But when it came to Mopar he was not familiar with certain things that need to be adressed when building high HP engines. Example, a half inch pick up is highly recommended in any big block, (like the Hemi's and six packs), also taking advantage of the .904 lifters. I tried to tell him this, but did it all his way anyway. Oh and the last 3 440's he built. the rear main seal leaked.
This is for him:thebirdm:

Managed to visit this shop yesterday. Liked what I saw. They have a dyno & it had a 389 Tri-Power Pontiac engine on it. Other nice things sitting around too, including an aluminum blown & fuel injected hemi. I think they can do the job.

if your headed twards Madison wisc mike shrader is the only 1that touches it all the way thru . performance research635 s.bird st. Sun Praiaie wi 608 837 4280 . he does a lot of mopars and a lot of race enginges in this part of the world class A shop with class A work and costumer service. this is my new 360 but its in my dirty shop. his place is impeccable lol . he does engines from all around the country

Attachments

• new motor 003.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 101
  • new motor 002.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 94
  • new motor 001.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 102
He asked his question almost four years ago and you recommended a machine shop nine hours from him...

-
Back