Chess

-
Yes, actually used to be a decent player. I never joined a club, but it was always satisfying when I beat the pompous big mouth in the club. I was taught by an old friend in 3rd grade I think it was. I haven't picked up a game in decades.

yes, best game in the world. I was taught when I was 5 by the Hawaii state champ - been quite a while since I have played though.. surely rustier than a 65 Chebby in a Maine forest..

I belonged to my chess club when I was in high school (No kibitzing!) I haven't played in a LONG time, but my son has shown interest in learning so I may have to dust off the board and set him straight!

hardly ever, but I play. I like checkers too..... I'm better at checkers :D

i keep the board set up on the kitchen side table. Love the game.
my mom taught me when i was young. It blows me away when folks dont know how to play..

yes, best game in the world. I was taught when I was 5 by the Hawaii state champ - been quite a while since I have played though.. surely rustier than a 65 Chebby in a Maine forest..

I was taught by my Great Uncle Don when I was 4 years old... He wrote a few books on chess, including one later in the 90's for kids.... He used to hand me his queen at the beginning of the game and still clean me out... But you only learn how to play when others don't hold back...

I went on to beat my 5th grade teacher... He was a good sport about it...

I had a room mate in college and we used to play every night... that's the last time that I can remember playing...

Here's a couple of my uncle's books. I have autographed copies that he gave my grandparents and mom...

Here's one of the books:

View attachment Chess 01.jpg

Here's the book for kids:

View attachment 9780936015613-us-300.jpg

It is a great game. I used to play a lot of "clock" chess with my friends. To some people, it is more than just a game. Bobby Fischer was not a very loyal American, but he was an very great chess player. He was asked what is the greatest moment in chess? He said, "when I've crushed the other man's ego."

There is some good site on the Web where you "click" through certain games one move at a time -- a good format. Of course, one the best games to play through is Fischer's Game of Century.

I haven't played much in the last 20 years, but I played in the unlimited class at the world chess championships 26 years ago. I didn't do to bad either, played about .500 against some really tough players. One I remember in particular was the Columbian national champion that I played to a draw. My son is the real expert now though. His rating is a little over 2000. Glory days, glory days. LOL

Jack

I haven't played much in the last 20 years, but I played in the unlimited class at the world chess championships 26 years ago. I didn't do to bad either, played about .500 against some really tough players. One I remember in particular was the Columbian national champion that I played to a draw. My son is the real expert now though. His rating is a little over 2000. Glory days, glory days. LOL

Jack
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vQpW9XRiyM"]Bruce Springsteen - Glory Days - YouTube[/ame]

I love the game. My Uncle taught me to play when I was a kid. I thought I was big time when I could think 5-7 moves ahead. He can think probably 15-20.

-
Back