Chnging bolt pattern on rear axles

-

65ChargerDart

65ChargerDart
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have the rear axles on my 8-3/4 diff. re-drilled to the larger 4-1/5" bolt pattern by Moser because I went with 15" front wheels for the Wilwood frt.disc conversion and want to put matching 15" Crager S/S on the rear when I install the new rear.

My question is: should I have them re-drill the brake drums 4-1/2" or go with brakes from a "B" body? Any other suggestions that don't involve big $$$

TIA,
65ChargerDart
Fortson, GA

A little more help....

A conversion to the larger 5x4.5" pattern wheels that is somewhat common is redrilling the original small pattern axles and installing new lugs to facilitate a larger diameter wheel. The problem with this is that there isn't enough meat on the axle flanges to drill a hole for a regular splined lug and cap screws must be used. Racers have been doing this for years, so its not necessarily a dangerous move. It is safe to say that it is the most "un-elegant" 8-3/4" solution for A-bodies. In addition, the original SBP 10x1.75" brake drums must also be redrilled. You cannot use drum setups from 5x4.5" axles (No exceptions) with redrilled small pattern A-body axles.

Good luck

-
Back