Choosing of converter help

-

68 barracuda 68

Reaction score
what will be the best converter to my combo? The car will be most driven in 1/8 mile. waiting on my engine getting finish, the combo is 408cid , well ported W2 heads, TTi W2 headers, 830/1050 holley,10,8:1 comp, comp cam duration 296 valve lift inn 0,649 exaust 0,651 rpm range 4200 to 7400. 727 tci transmission, dynamic 9,5 3800-4200 stall, 4,56 gear, 28-10,5x15 slicks. Been reading the converter should be 1000rpm over cam starts to pull?

The convertor ideally should be 500RPm over the RPm where peak torque occurs.

Give Lenny at Ultimate Converters a call..he'll tell ya' and build you exately what you need..by the way good luck with that T.C.I. transmission had one that didn't even last a week..

Give Lenny at Ultimate Converters a call..he'll tell ya' and build you exately what you need..by the way good luck with that T.C.I. transmission had one that didn't even last a week..
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I use to used TCI stuff in my past chevys, was good stuff. MOPARS, I`ve read that most stuff is junk.

best bet is to call a pro and ask them to make one specific to your combo and intended us in my opinion...

i've been using dynamic and have very happy with them..

also give ultimate a call.. hey are very good as well...

the right converter will make or break your combo.. don't cheap out in that dept.

make sure you are 100% honest and accurate about your combo and intended usage if not chances are you wont be happy...

He's missed mine twice, his $1100 8" was a tenth slower in 60' than the $450 9.5" Edge that I killed.

He's missed mine twice, his $1100 8" was a tenth slower in 60' than the $450 9.5" Edge that I killed.

that is encouraging ..in that i just bought a brand new one from him...LOL....

I run a PTC 8", setup pretty tight, it stalls ~5000 RPM behind my 410 stroker. Not sure what the prices are now...when I got mine it was only $650, but that was about 10 years ago.

I hear people swear by his stuff yet, from their own mouths, tell me that they needed to send it back because it wasn't right.
That was enough to steer me to PTC. Three converters from them and they did exactly as they said.

I hear people swear by his stuff yet, from their own mouths, tell me that they needed to send it back because it wasn't right.
That was enough to steer me to PTC. Three converters from them and they did exactly as they said.

Problem is you never know what info they told him when ordering their converter. May have not been totally honest about the combo or the intended use. Ive never bought from ultimate so I’m not out to defend him blindly but man if you aren’t totally straight forward about the combo and or intended use you can easily be disappointed.

I’ve bought two from dynamic and have been very happy with both.

Problem is you never know what info they told him when ordering their converter. May have not been totally honest about the combo or the intended use. Ive never bought from ultimate so I’m not out to defend him blindly but man if you aren’t totally straight forward about the combo and or intended use you can easily be disappointed.

I’ve bought two from dynamic and have been very happy with both.

Really?? What did I miss? Dyno numbers? Check. Car weight, tires and gears? Check. Intended use? Street/strip, primary 1/8 mile, check. Oh I know, I didn't tell him it was green with grey covers on the Kirkey seats. Lenny is a good guy, he just missed my converter both times. I put 75-100 more HP in the car and was a tenth slower in 60' than it was with the old motor and a $450 converter that was bought with no dyno numbers. I sent the Ultimate to Kenny at PTC and he has got it down to within .02 of the old combo. IMHO it's still not right but it's a ton better than it was.

Will I use Ultimate again? Probably not, but I'm not bad mouthing him either. Lots of guys have had good luck with him and I wish him continued success. There is a good chance that over the winter the car will get a new converter and I'll put this $1800 paper weight on the shelf.

Edit: Yes, I gave all the details on the engine too.

Last edited:
I have had good results with Turbo Action convertors, 35 years worth.
I would like to try a custom tailored convertor someday, just to see what I might be missing or not.

I bought from Lenny at Ultimate Converters and was vary happy with what i got and would recommend him without hesitation.
I have only bought one from him, but it was spot on AND DROP 500 RPM OFF AT THE TOP END. As well as made a good jump in 60" as well as et and MPH.
He said it should stall around 4200 and it stalled 4100. Close enough and improved all the way around. With traction issue resolved it just might stall at the 4200 in the end!

It will be who i buy my next converter from.

I have 3 Ultimates and each have their intended purpose and characteristics.
My 727/6200 is on the loose side and I have a seasons worth of time slips from 4 different tracks that pound 1.34 60ft like clockwork. This converter was at 5800 and would 60 quicker, but Racepak data showed some launch issues so after some discussion I sent it back and changed it accordingly. It did slow the car some, but I’m running a 10.5 tire with a little power so it was a trade off that worked.

My 727/5800.... this was born of a guy that bought into his intel of my car running what numbers it did, but . Had a friend selling an 8” Ultimate so I bought it and he sent it directly to Lenny. Built it for my needs and tighter so I got my “fast” set up with very little slippage. The happy ending here was beating the crap out of a very confident Ford guy 2 passes into a 2 out of 3 1/8 mile heads up race.

My “new” 904 converter. For some stupid reason I swapped the 727 for a 904. Also changed a few other things but the car this past weekend was 1.24/.25 in the 60 and is a monster! Best passes ever in Tucson AZ. Might be interesting when I get to sea level.

Also had Lenny spec my converter in my Mirada..... around 1994 :)

I put one of Frank Luppos units in this winter. We will see how he did this spring.

To the OP: you get the idea. Call ultimate or dynamic and have one built.

I've had one Ultimate converter and loved it! Street driving and track. My low power magnum 5.9 would 60ft at 1.54... I never expected it to 60ft like that. I ended up going to 727 and wasn't satisfied. I'm rebuilding the entire combo and Lenny at Ultimate will be building my converter for my CRT 904. Just my 2 cents.

I've had one Ultimate converter and loved it! Street driving and track. My low power magnum 5.9 would 60ft at 1.54... I never expected it to 60ft like that. I ended up going to 727 and wasn't satisfied. I'm rebuilding the entire combo and Lenny at Ultimate will be building my converter for my CRT 904. Just my 2 cents.
what will be the best converter to my combo? The car will be most driven in 1/8 mile. waiting on my engine getting finish, the combo is 408cid , well ported W2 heads, TTi W2 headers, 830/1050 holley,10,8:1 comp, comp cam duration 296 valve lift inn 0,649 exaust 0,651 rpm range 4200 to 7400. 727 tci transmission, dynamic 9,5 3800-4200 stall, 4,56 gear, 28-10,5x15 slicks. Been reading the converter should be 1000rpm over cam starts to pull?
For this combo turbo action would live forever in general conv company’s are conservative in what they sell you A 904 would be worth a tenth.they are really tough.l like ptc also

Walker434.... I think you’ll like the 904. With moderate power you might discuss the low gear option with John.

Walker434.... I think you’ll like the 904. With moderate power you might discuss the low gear option with John.
Yeah I went with the low gear set. My car is heavy for a dart. Full interior, all steel, procharger, water meth injection, ect. Weighs about 3550 with me in it. My Dana 60 is geared 3.54. I think the low gear set will get this tank moving off the line. My new combo will be making about 700 crank horsepower so we talked at length about what it would take to make the 904 live.

-
Back