Christmas transmission rebuild...

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
Yep, this is what I'm doing on Christmas day. I don't have anything else to do, anywhere to go, no one to see...So, here I am at home on Christmas, rebuilding my 904 in the rain...:(

Here are a bunch of boring transmission tear down pics...(This is my first time ever doing a transmission rebuild...)

2zjc2lx.jpg

x3sox1.jpg

14aihja.jpg

htv141.jpg

281agya.jpg

30uwirt.jpg

346p0rk.jpg

yijcn.jpg

10wtiix.jpg

bgojys.jpg

2dr782h.jpg

luw7m.jpg

I got all the rebuild parts from John at Cope Racing Trans. $900 dollars worth...After its all done, it should support 450 HP and have nice firm shifts.

1f7bk7.jpg

2vv02g1.jpg

More to come...

904 is a great first transmission. Don't get too wet out there.

James you know what you're doing? LOL

You got some out standing parts there... it's hell being married isn't it!

James you know what you're doing? LOL

You got some out standing parts there... it's hell being married isn't it!

Hey! Hell No I don't know what I'm doing! haha...just going with the flow...My brother is helping me, so he knows what hes doing. lol

Hey! Hell No I don't know what I'm doing! haha...just going with the flow...My brother is helping me, so he knows what hes doing. lol

I have a four speed in my cuda but I once had a hard shifting 727 in my 68 Charger and I miss it!!

A good beefed up auto trans (like you're working on) can't be beat!

What stall is the converter?

All the pictures did not load for me, but it looks like the typical disaster for tear down. My buddy that owns a trans shop has a table that looks like a metal shower pan, with 6" deep sides and a drain in the middle. Hope it turns out well for you.....

All the pictures did not load for me, but it looks like the typical disaster for tear down. My buddy that owns a trans shop has a table that looks like a metal shower pan, with 6" deep sides and a drain in the middle. Hope it turns out well for you.....

I have seen those tables.... they are nice to have in trans repair and rebuild.

I have a four speed in my cuda but I once had a hard shifting 727 in my 68 Charger and I miss it!!

A good beefed up auto trans (like you're working on) can't be beat!

What stall is the converter?

It is a 3000 stall converter. I hope it works good. :)

ha, just like me and the brakes...at least im finished.

Hey buddy. How did those brakes go? I hope they were fairly easy going. Sorry I didn't contact you, I was gone all day yesterday. :( You still got all your suspension parts?

Me to! I will try to re-size the larger pictures. Did the other ones load okay?

I noticed that it's a PTC.... sounds like you did your homework buddy. You will not be disappointed.

Curious if this going behind the stroker?

I love that motor by the way!

A good built blueprinted stock 904 will take 450 HP. For 950 bucks, I hope you got a happy endin. I gotta Ford 5R55E to build and it'll be my first Ford overdrive so I can kinda sympathize.

I noticed that it's a PTC.... sounds like you did your homework buddy. You will not be disappointed.

Curious if this going behind the stroker?

I love that motor by the way!

Yes I did alot of reading on PTC, everyone that has had one is very satisfied. :) No, this tranny is not for the 408 stroker motor, that one gets an A833 4 speed. Which I'd really like to have one for my Cuda, but this 904/318 combo will have to do for now. :)

I saw that too... This rebuild might take a lil longer than usual... puff puff pass!:glasses9:

Haha yea...Umm, that's not mine, really!

A good built blueprinted stock 904 will take 450 HP. For 950 bucks, I hope you got a happy endin. I gotta Ford 5R55E to build and it'll be my first Ford overdrive so I can kinda sympathize.

The converter was 300 bucks, all the other parts add up quick buddy. A master snap ring kit which isn't totally necessary, and a couple other not "really" needed parts added to the cost, plus core charges for the bands, and about 50 in shipping...Gotta pay to play...

At least it's only raining where you are, I'm rebuilding my 833 for Christmas, but it's 30 degrees here and that concrete on the driveway gets cold fast, lol.

brakes are done, need to be bleed better. Pedal is a little soft, but works for now. Im going to order that kit soon.

The converter was 300 bucks, all the other parts add up quick buddy. A master snap ring kit which isn't totally necessary, and a couple other not "really" needed parts added to the cost, plus core charges for the bands, and about 50 in shipping...Gotta pay to play...

Well, somehow my blind *** missed the converter. Go figure. I do know John has a great reputation.

excellent choices with that converter and Trans-Go ( the only kit to use with TorqueFlites ! ) reprogrammer kit .

while I've never rebuilt a trans , I'd really invite the opportunity ; especially if it's a T-Flite :)

what fluid are you going to use ? Type 'F' ?
I'd like to recommend Lucas' Sure-Shift . Great stuff .

excellent choices with that converter and Trans-Go ( the only kit to use with TorqueFlites ! ) reprogrammer kit .

while I've never rebuilt a trans , I'd really invite the opportunity ; especially if it's a T-Flite :)

what fluid are you going to use ? Type 'F' ?
I'd like to recommend Lucas' Sure-Shift . Great stuff .

I have no idea what trans fluid I will use. But that sure shift sounds good. I'll try it out. :)

And just an update, I have all the parts cleaned, placed in a plastic tub. I know it looks thrown in there unorganized, but I know where everything goes. lol :) I just need to wait for a sunny day so I can paint the aluminum case. :)

2qxouc6.jpg

I got my cases washed and bead blasted and washed again. I need to wait for a sunny day to paint them so they can dry. :)

v7z886.jpg

20tez6a.jpg

-
Back