Chrome valve cover

-

B-NA$TY

Reaction score
Hey everyone im puting one of those cheap chrome valve covers on and iv been searching and cant find what everyone has done for the pcv ... it their a larger grommet that works of the late model pcv or do i need to get the 61-65 type ... thank you for any help

You're making a variety of troubles for yourself putting on that cheap piece of junk. They don't fit well, they don't seal well, they don't have the necessary baffles. See Thread 1 Thread 2 Thread 3. If you are bound and determined to use the chrome valve cover on your engine, and if you can hack the bolt holes so they line up OK, then set up the breather and PCV this way.

The holes in that cover are designed to take Chevy style grommets and PCV / Breathers.
Just go to any auto parts store and ask for stuff for a 1985 350 Chevy.
You dont need to stress the lack of baffle too much. The holes are not lined up in such a way that oil will get tossed off the rockers at them

Actually, without baffles of one kind or another, you will pull a great deal of oil into the intake tract via the PCV system. It doesn't matter how the holes in the valve cover are lined up; there's a bunch of oil flying around under there and a large amount of it will get sucked into the PCV valve if there's no baffling. This page is worth reading. The site belongs to a company selling an adjustable/tunable PCV valve for $129 (yes, you read that price right -- It's an interesting idea most of us don't need) But the baffle article is worth a read no matter what PCV valve you're using.

If you don't want to educate yourself, then go ahead and set it up the halfaѕѕеd way (just go to any auto parts store and ask for stuff for a 1985 350 Chevy) but put an oil catch jar in the PCV line. Then run your engine and watch the catch jar fill up with oil. Or skip the catch jar and just let the oil fly into your intake, crud up your intake valves and combustion chambers, foul your spark plugs, reduce your fuel octane and increase your engine's tendency to ping, then clean it all up, go back and do the job right—which is easier and cheaper to just do in the first place.

Actually, without baffles of one kind or another, you will pull a great deal of oil into the intake tract via the PCV system. It doesn't matter how the holes in the valve cover are lined up; there's a bunch of oil flying around under there and a large amount of it will get sucked into the PCV valve if there's no baffling. This page is worth reading. The site belongs to a company selling an adjustable/tunable PCV valve for $129 (yes, you read that price right -- It's an interesting idea most of us don't need) But the baffle article is worth a read no matter what PCV valve you're using.

If you don't want to educate yourself, then go ahead and set it up the halfaѕѕеd way (just go to any auto parts store and ask for stuff for a 1985 350 Chevy) but put an oil catch jar in the PCV line. Then run your engine and watch the catch jar fill up with oil. Or skip the catch jar and just let the oil fly into your intake, crud up your intake valves and combustion chambers, foul your spark plugs, reduce your fuel octane and increase your engine's tendency to ping, then clean it all up, go back and do the job right—which is easier and cheaper to just do in the first place.
Ah jeeze. Had one on my daily for two years, 60,000 miles..never sucked a drop of oil.
Just now got finished setting up a customers Slant with that same cover. Just did the can break in, and adjusted everything up. Zero smoke out of the headers, not a trace of oil on the plugs.
Sometimes you need baffles and gold plated PCV valves, and sometimes you just need common trash.

Had one on my daily for two years, 60,000 miles..never sucked a drop of oil.

LOL

Just now got finished setting up a customers Slant with that same cover.

When I farm out work, I go with contractors who know to avoid cheap-junk parts -- even the shiny ones.

But whatever, dude. Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Thank you guys! DAN i can always count on you to show me the right path and also the most correct direction of my ridiculous ways. Also thank you NITRO for your input but after reading up on it im going with the pvc/breather.... cant we all just get along guys? Lol:drama::rofl:

these use stock mopar stuff , had to do some modifing of the covers and get the mopar stuff for these finned ones

DSC07848.JPG

DSC07849.JPG

DSC08613.JPG

DSC08615.JPG

You know, I can't tell You how many times I've said it, I'd rather have flying oil than flying monkeys under My valve covers!!

For anyone still paying attention the valve cover swap went very nice everything lined up and no leaks .... only issue the new breather grommet is "D" shaped i tried to trim it but it wasn't going to work ... i did find the correct size on amazon and they work great ..... THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP

1491269964058346599709.jpg

For anyone still paying attention the valve cover swap went very nice everything lined up and no leaks .... only issue the new breather grommet is "D" shaped i tried to trim it but it wasn't going to work ... i did find the correct size on amazon and they work great ..... THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP

View attachment 1715034959
Good to hear!!

I took my factory cover and had it plated on my '70 Dodge. Had a '70 engine in it then, now has a '77 engine in it, same cover. Performs as it should.

-
Back