Chrysler LA / NASCAR 355 cu. in. crank shaft

-
Seriously, I dont know why people still build older platforms (present company included!) for power when these ARE IN JUNKYARDS NOW. LS took over the small block world, and these are gonna run the LA/Magnum crowd slim too.
What does a 5.7 cost?
Next size up HEMI?
I keep hearing this but I get lots of thumbs up from young people .
Hell they listen to 60s and 70s rock !
Heck my 19 YO will listen to a great many thing including Beethoven, Mozart, Swing to Metallica, Iron Madien & zoom back around to the Beatles. His phone has the wackiest play list! You just don’t know what’s coming on next.

He doesn’t like disco reggae very old blues and old country. If it’s modern country, he’s good! “Modern country is kick *** Dad!” “Yea! Cause it’s a bit like rock and roll of yesteryear!

Seriously, I dont know why people still build older platforms (present company included!) for power when these ARE IN JUNKYARDS NOW. LS took over the small block world, and these are gonna run the LA/Magnum crowd slim too.

Because they are gawd awful ugly and unless you run a power adder they just don’t run any better than a decent wedge head.

What does a 5.7 cost?
Next size up HEMI?

Heck my 19 YO will listen to a great many thing including Beethoven, Mozart, Swing to Metallica, Iron Madien & zoom back around to the Beatles. His phone has the wackiest play list! You just don’t know what’s coming on next.

He doesn’t like disco reggae very old blues and old country. If it’s modern country, he’s good! “Modern country is kick *** Dad!” “Yea! Cause it’s a bit like rock and roll of yesteryear!

Only 2 kinds of music ....

Good and Bad ...

My wife has a masters in Musical Performance and played Trumpet for Philharmonics and Opera so I have attendsd many classical performances .

I used to play the marching band tuba called a sousaphone. I used to be pretty good at it. Won a few competition medals when I was younger.

Then it happened….

MoPar!!!!

I used to play the marching band tuba called a sousaphone. I used to be pretty good at it. Won a few competition medals when I was younger.

Then it happened….

MoPar!!!!

Ha ! Too funny ...

I have to say that when I watch a really good musician I imagine how it must feel to play at that level . Violinists or brass players in purticular.

Yes, right after the Camaro/Z28’s.

The actual block used I know nothing about. Though I’d bet it was a MP race block that was used. I also have a rotating assembly that I got in a parts deal.
(A all or nothing deal.)
MP also had matching pistons to the crank. The pistons and crank used stock length rods.
The total CID I have is 352. (4.03 pistons)
The crank is an 8 bolt flange

So, in order to use for his set up…. A race block = $$$
318’s are unlikely to go to a 4.03 bore (never say never) and sleeving down a 340 is nutz in cost just to use this. I know there are parts to insert in the crank journals of a 360 block. (If you have the small journal unit which I’m not sure if there offered in both journal sizes) Hughes engines has them though I did see them cheaper elsewhere. IIRC, Ramracing engines here in the states has them. IDK about destroking a 360. I guess if you were an active racer…. It would make sense. For a street guy, maybe not so much.

If someone wants rear crank measurements, let me know. I have to dig it up and out. No issues doing so.

This makes total sense. If they did start with a fresh block they would cut the deck to what ever height they needed. Plus I do remember they did make blocks just for the IROC at that time. I'm sure they are left over parts, as for what they are worth. Who knows, I would like them for cheap because anything you use them in will cost a $hit ton in machine work. But it could be a killer engine.

Possibly. A race block from is not within my wallet. Sleeving a worn out 340 is also out of the wallets reach. Not as expensive as a race block, but not cheap ether. A lot depends on a few factors and what your willing to do or give up in the case of destroking a 360 with bearing spacers. A 360 @ .030 = 365 cubic inches. This kit delivers 352 @ 3.45 X 4.03.

365 - 352 = 13 cubic inches. OK, not a huge thing.
But less is less.

I thought about using the 352 pistons on a 360 crank. The math works like:
3.58 - 3.45 = .130. Divide this by 2 which is .065 higher (and lower) the piston is traveling.

The question now becomes, what is my blocks deck height, where will the pistons sit in the block and the pistons pin to crown distance. Having not measured anything or made any moves to do anything, yet….
It does leave a few good questions on the table.

I recently purchased a lot of Chrysler parts from a guy who claimed his grandpa was a NASCAR racer. Looks like a have a 355 cu. in. crankshaft for a small block LA. I have another crank that looks just like it that came in the lot i purchased, but I can not confirm its specifications yet.

What do I do with this crank? I really don't have a use for it. What's it worth? Who can use it?

View attachment 1715827441

View attachment 1715827442
Hi Mark , Did you ever sell that Mopar 355 crank? If not I'd seriously be interested in it. Do you know the main & rod journal sizes? I want to build a 355 Nascar engine to replicate what was in the Chrysler Kit Car. I have a 340 block , heads , pistons , rods & intake. Let me know, Thanks Sincerely , Rich

s-l300 (6).jpg

Last edited:
I recently purchased a lot of Chrysler parts from a guy who claimed his grandpa was a NASCAR racer. Looks like a have a 355 cu. in. crankshaft for a small block LA. I have another crank that looks just like it that came in the lot i purchased, but I can not confirm its specifications yet.

What do I do with this crank? I really don't have a use for it. What's it worth? Who can use it?

View attachment 1715827441

View attachment 1715827442
Do you still have this cranks , and are you willing to sell it? I would very much be interested!

Actually that makes no sense. As you saying Datsun parts and cars are more expensive than Chrysler stuff??? That sound you hear is my guffaws (but I could be wrong as I’ve never priced Datsun stuff).
I had a July 1969 date coded 70 Datsun 240Z. That's a very early build code. I had just built the original numbers engine three weeks prior and gotten it back on the road. A guy followed me home and kept layin 100s on the hood until he drove away. I sold it for 13K and the body was a rust bucket. Repairable, but it was bad.

Actually that makes no sense. As you saying Datsun parts and cars are more expensive than Chrysler stuff??? That sound you hear is my guffaws (but I could be wrong as I’ve never priced Datsun stuff).
Check your PMs ratty. We ain't through yet. lol

You Guys think your Datsuns and Mopars are expensive! Our Valiant charger Tacho R/T instrument clusters are pulling over $4000 and even our 16/1 ratio steering boxes are over the same cost. Hell the other day a genuine set of weber carbs with manifold and linkages of an R/T charger was advertised for $23000 Yes that is the correct zeros TWENTY THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS ! Well I suppose if you are restoring an E49 R/T charger That will bring over Four Hundred thousand dollars in concourse condition you will pay anything to have the correct parts!

You Guys think your Datsuns and Mopars are expensive! Our Valiant charger Tacho R/T instrument clusters are pulling over $4000 and even our 16/1 ratio steering boxes are over the same cost. Hell the other day a genuine set of weber carbs with manifold and linkages of an R/T charger was advertised for $23000 Yes that is the correct zeros TWENTY THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS ! Well I suppose if you are restoring an E49 R/T charger That will bring over Four Hundred thousand dollars in concourse condition you will pay anything to have the correct parts!
No, some of us Won't, or Cain't! That's an insane price. I get where You are coming from, and I respect the "factory correct " crowd. But before I spend 23 Grand on a set of carburetors + manifold, I'd buy me a 426 Hemi! Just my preference, no offense involved! You guys keep kicking *** down there, and doing what you're doing! We appreciate you keeping it going!

Then it happened….

MoPar!!!!
I played With 2 signed bands. And had the Band I formed, wrote 90% of the music and 75% of the lyrics for involved in some killer gigs and played on Tampa Bays main Radio station. A lot of hard work man

USA Mopars offer better value than the Aussie crap.
That was just rude …
Those were the cars they grew up with and are just as precious to them as our versions are to us . And the Aussies do a lot for our sport in the way of development. They got some fast ****’s down there !

-
Back