Chrysler PWR steering

-

Boony405hp

Reaction score
With the Chrysler power steering unit - i read that most people were saying the pressure was too powerful? What was this in regards to - hooking it up to a stock steering setup?

I want to run rack and pinion, however I'm going to use a GM unit. What sort of pressures are the Chrysler units putting out in relation to the Ford and GM units?

Just seeing if i could use this GM rack (as I know its proven to work well for my conversion) and if I could use the Chrysler Pwr steering pump would save me making up brackets and finding new belts to suit the GM pump. If pressures were around the same I don't see why not.

I was told once that when a pump was refered to or commonly known as the 109 pump it made 109 psi. I dont know how that might apply to your question. I do know Chryslers did run higher pressure in chrysler or federal pumps, thus the pinky finger steering. Later they went to saginaw pumps same as ford and gm applications yet keeping the same steering gear boxes.
The pumps internal pressure relief valve and its gallons per minute at X rpms is gonna be the key to a good set up. Pulley diameter will be a factor too.
Good luck and please share what your reseach reveals.

I'm unsure what pressure the ones on the 5.7 hemi's run at (maybe someone here does???)...is there anyway to put in a variable pressure valve in if necessary? More pressure = lighter steering, less pressure = heavier steering I presume. Over pressure I thought may place excess pressure on seals etc causing more potential for leaks further down the track.

I'm unsure what the GM unit I have runs at but I'm sure I could find out.

As long as the output pressure is around the same I'd assume it would be fine...

The 5.7/6.1 pump puts out 1350 psi and WILL BLOW THE STOCK SEALS OUT OF THE STEERING BOX!!!! That is why you get the chevy style pump (950psi). Now here are the drawbacks to the chevy pump----

1. It's a chevy
2. The mounting holes don't exactly line up, so you gotta drill them out a tad
bigger to get all 3 holes to line up---not a big deal to do
3. the stock pulley on the 5.7/6.1 has to come off and be honed so it will PRESS onto the chevy pump, I recommend .002 press fit, if you don't have acess to the tools to get this done any machine shop can do it.
4. This will work for all racks and stock power steering boxes
5. Do it and have fun!!!!!

I'm trying to ditch the steering box and install a rack and pinion system off a Holden Commodore (Pontiac G8 equivalent) but not the current model one from around '1995'.

The factory pump that comes with this rack I'd also have to put the chrysler pulley wheel on also or get a wheel made the same diameter as the current one on it but made to the width of the Chrysler belt as the gm belt is a lot thinner.

The Chevy pump your talking about what model is it off? Is a pump just a pump or are certain pumps designed more so for steering boxes, while other pumps are only suited for racks? I figured they basically pump in high pressure one end and return via the other line so they could be used on either. Although from what yellowdart was saying pressure isn't the main issue. Mind you I am purely assuming hence the questions :-D

Had a read of that article yellowdart and was interesting. cheers

The 5.7/6.1 pump puts out 1350 psi and WILL BLOW THE STOCK SEALS OUT OF THE STEERING BOX!!!! That is why you get the chevy style pump (950psi). Now here are the drawbacks to the chevy pump----

1. It's a chevy
2. The mounting holes don't exactly line up, so you gotta drill them out a tad
bigger to get all 3 holes to line up---not a big deal to do
3. the stock pulley on the 5.7/6.1 has to come off and be honed so it will PRESS onto the chevy pump, I recommend .002 press fit, if you don't have acess to the tools to get this done any machine shop can do it.
4. This will work for all racks and stock power steering boxes
5. Do it and have fun!!!!!

Go to hotrodlane.cc and check out all the 5.7/6.1 hemi stuff, also watch the videos, you will learn alot. Not sure what year the pumps are, but check their site or call them and ask for Mark, he's the owner and knows his stuff.

Almost forgot, when I hooked up the stock box and the chevy pump, they fought each other and make a hell of a racket, so I took out the return valve on the box, and it worked flawlessly. Now I havent had the car on the road yet,( long term project), but Mark did confirm what was happening and so did another shop.

Some guys are using the stock 5.7/6.1 pumps with the RMS kits and not having any issues. Some guys just buy the chevy pump but most have been just using the stock chrysler pump with the rack.

Riddler

Maybe call Elko in Melbourne. They have a rack they use for 300 bucks-apparently comes with brackets. I'm going to get one for my VH.

B

Hi Guys,

You could also get a rack from Hemi Performance the have been selling this rack for over 10 years, originally from a VB-VH Commodore (Opel). It comes with the Engineers certificate. it attaches to the chassis rail. I think the one from Elko attaches to the Cross Member

-
Back