Classic Body conundrum

-
I will tell you, its not the spraying that is the work, its the blocking, spraying, blocking.........To get a show quality paint job. Cutting, buffing, You CAN do it your self.

You will need to buy or rent a supplied-air respirator for most modern paints. Protect your health.

I've got a shop out here in Southern Ontario who does body work and paint for roughly 10k. Turn around isn't too bad either. Mine has been in the shop no more than 4-6 months but was always in the shop getting worked on.

Riddler

I will tell you, its not the spraying that is the work, its the blocking, spraying, blocking.........To get a show quality paint job. Cutting, buffing, You CAN do it your self.
I know I can. I just don't want to. I have suddenly precious little shop time. And I don't want to spend it sanding.

I KN
BODY/ PAINT WORK COMES HIGH, BUT, it ain`t as hi as they tell u, I BOUGHT ALL THE MATERIALS for a 2 STAGE, paint job on my 68 fastback at body shop prices, $1400 for everything . Was Last year. U need to find the right small time guy, and do the hardest grunt work for him. Hang in there.

10k I could live with. It was the 20 k I gag at

Getting a good guy to complete your project is not easy. There are allot of guys that will take your money and deliver very little. I think Pascamp is absolutely correct. I suggest you ask who ever you get to do the work to show you some of the projects they have done. Usually all the good guys will have a scrapbook of the cars they have done along with some awards their cars have won at shows. I am not exactly sure how much needs to done to your car but making the body straight, painting under the hood, trunk, door jams and prepping (blocking every panel with high build primer) will take more hours than most people think. I wish you all the best and I hope you find a good guy to do it for you. Take care

Getting a good guy to complete your project is not easy. There are allot of guys that will take your money and deliver very little. I think Pascamp is absolutely correct. I suggest you ask who ever you get to do the work to show you some of the projects they have done. Usually all the good guys will have a scrapbook of the cars they have done along with some awards their cars have won at shows. I am not exactly sure how much needs to done to your car but making the body straight, painting under the hood, trunk, door jams and prepping (blocking every panel with high build primer) will take more hours than most people think. I wish you all the best and I hope you find a good guy to do it for you. Take care

Thanks Gunmetal

I had a guy paint all the door inners, underside the hood, trunk, beak, etc.
I painted the engine bay, floorpan, firewall, entire interior area myself.

panels need some alignment, few little dings to address, then it's high build and miles of Sanding to do.

I know it's a lot of work. My new job has me super busy. with travel time and long hours, plus dealing with 2 young kids, crazy puppy, and a wife that is increasingly tired of my mo money mopar...... I'm near my wits end.

I'm ready to spend the rest of my mad money to bring this project home..... I want to drive her this summer!

I agree with most of this and I am sorry you are having trouble finding a shop to do the work. I was in the same boat, I couldn't find anyone that wanted to replace the rust panels on my car (I am planning on painting myself). Either they were a collision shops or the one guy that I did find never came out to look at the car.

So after deciding to do the rust repair myself, I was randomly introduced to a guy who specializes in Mopar restoration. He doesn't advertise, so I would never have known. He mainly gets cars from the east coast. There was an R/T Charger with a Hemi from New Jersey there when I stopped by. His space is small, only about 4 bays and he works alone.

He came and looked and gave great advice and the car was just dropped off this last weekend. He called me today and said that he is all done with the patch panels and is going to be hammer/dolly and block out the passenger side where shotty body work was done in the past.

So my point to all this is keep looking, folks are out there, they are just hard to find.

I speak to people all the time who claim they "like the smell" of that stuff.

VOC paint will kill you. Or ruin you.
would like to help you get that car painted I've been a body man since 1973. don't scrap her you can do it yourself with help from everyone here just paint it in sections not all at once. use base clear system and give it a try. we are here and happy to help.

would like to help you get that car painted I've been a body man since 1973. don't scrap her you can do it yourself with help from everyone here just paint it in sections not all at once. use base clear system and give it a try. we are here and happy to help.

Thanks Fred. I painted the underbody parts myself mostly and I nearly poisoned myself. I have no desire to even try spraying. sold off my paint guns

I'll do some Sanding but I don't even like the idea if breathing the dust. I am going to try and find someone local that will take her in and splash paint on it. I know it will never be a show car. I can live with decent

Thanks Fred. I painted the underbody parts myself mostly and I nearly poisoned myself. I have no desire to even try spraying. sold off my paint guns

I'll do some Sanding but I don't even like the idea if breathing the dust. I am going to try and find someone local that will take her in and splash paint on it. I know it will never be a show car. I can live with decent
yea I'm to the point where I can't smell laquer thinner any more. and before I die I really would like to do my own car for the first time. Just finished restoring a 1990 chevy short box p/u for a guy. that is the last one. And why a 1990 I have no idea but it's done. And my girl is next. but I like helping others always have, and I am not a body man sent down from heaven to take care of all the the problems, just a simple man looking for honest people to share ideas.

yea I'm to the point where I can't smell laquer thinner any more. and before I die I really would like to do my own car for the first time. Just finished restoring a 1990 chevy short box p/u for a guy. that is the last one. And why a 1990 I have no idea but it's done. And my girl is next. but I like helping others always have, and I am not a body man sent down from heaven to take care of all the the problems, just a simple man looking for honest people to share ideas.
The 88-94 chevy short bed, reg cab pick ups are the best looking chevy pick ups ever built in my opinion. I built an approx. 600 horse old school 406 for one, had a trick racing paint job on it , it was kick as$. Smoked my buddies 85 w/ a 502 crate motor in it .

The 88-94 chevy short bed, reg cab pick ups are the best looking chevy pick ups ever built in my opinion. I built an approx. 600 horse old school 406 for one, had a trick racing paint job on it , it was kick as$. Smoked my buddies 85 w/ a 502 crate motor in it .
yes I agree they are nice' but the one I restored was in need of engine work and that should have been done first. and he had to much money in it. I tried to convince him to buy one already done but he wanted his truck restored. had to put a different cab on it new box sides fenders hood. well every thing but the two doors.

yes I agree they are nice' but the one I restored was in need of engine work and that should have been done first. and he had to much money in it. I tried to convince him to buy one already done but he wanted his truck restored. had to put a different cab on it new box sides fenders hood. well every thing but the two doors.
lots of work !!

My 92 shortbox I redid a few years ago. Guess I'm crazy too but it was a rust free southern truck. Also a bodyman by trade and one of the very few I've ever painted for myself.

truck.jpg

Dartnut! Hey buddy good to hear from you. I did call Maaco. they are on my radar but also quoted 10gs

If I do a **** pile of Sanding they might cut me a break. At least they figure they can get it done in a couple months
If you can find anyone to do the work on your car that is willing to shorten there life on sanding and blocking and painting good luck. only the newbees will do that anymore. have a pile of nice cars out there that I restored since 1973 till now and I'm paying for all that sanding and blocking and painting I have done over the years and still haven't done my own car yet.I can give you some good advice but before I die it's my turn

If you can find anyone to do the work on your car that is willing to shorten there life on sanding and blocking and painting good luck. only the newbees will do that anymore. have a pile of nice cars out there that I restored since 1973 till now and I'm paying for all that sanding and blocking and painting I have done over the years and still haven't done my own car yet.I can give you some good advice but before I die it's my turn
Can totally relate, and no way to eliminate exposure 100%

I made a living years ago painting cars, it took over 6 months, after getting out of the business to actually starting feeling normal again.
I have been doing all the body work on my own cars and painting for a few years.
One time I did the engine compartment in base, clear in my Duster.
My old mask leaked and I was sick for a few days.
Protect you health.

Well I found a shop to take in my car. I think it's going to be about he 10k figure. ouch.

at least they are pros and they think they will have her back to me in about 6 weeks

at least I can park my truck in he shop during snow season!

wish me luck.....

-
Back