Classic motorcycle

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
Been nearly 30 yrs. since I had a bike and I got the itch and probably enough money to buy a decent project bike. I know the newer bikes probably handle better but I can't help but prefer a good ole classic. The last bike I had was a 65 Triumph 650 that was mildly chopped that a buddy gave me for rebuilding his 318. I'd really like an Indian but no way do I have that much money. Same goes for a classic Harley. I really liked my Tr and wouldn't mind owning one again but I don't know how easy they are to find parts for?? Wondering if anyone here is into classic British bikes and could comment on that. I remember my Tr had British standard bolt and nut sizes that was a PITA. Do BSA and Norton's also use British standard fasteners? What would your choice be between those 3 and why?

Pretty sure BSA and Norton also use whitworth threads.

Not british, but my project is a 1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special that I'm installing front and rear suspension from a 250 Ninja.

This is my current old bike , I bought one new back in 1985.

1985 Zl 900 eliminator , it has the 900 ninja motor on a cruiser style frame with shaft drive.

In stock form they would turn very low 11's in the quarter .

This one has 4500 miles on it , I replaced the original back tire and the wrong sized front , changed all the fluids, adjusted the valves, and changed the brake and clutch fluid over to dot5.

Just had two rotator cuff surgeries last year so I am hoping to be able to ride it in the next couple of months

Attachments

• 100_1295.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 266
  • 100_1293.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 266
  • 100_1296.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 266
  • 100_1297.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 265
Ever consider building a bike? New frame to avoid the DMV hassle and then bike swap meets, CL and FleaBay...

Had a friend that restored an old Bonneville, had nothing but electronic gremlins til he pulled the plug and sold it

Been nearly 30 yrs. since I had a bike and I got the itch and probably enough money to buy a decent project bike. I know the newer bikes probably handle better but I can't help but prefer a good ole classic. The last bike I had was a 65 Triumph 650 that was mildly chopped that a buddy gave me for rebuilding his 318. I'd really like an Indian but no way do I have that much money. Same goes for a classic Harley. I really liked my Tr and wouldn't mind owning one again but I don't know how easy they are to find parts for?? Wondering if anyone here is into classic British bikes and could comment on that. I remember my Tr had British standard bolt and nut sizes that was a PITA. Do BSA and Norton's also use British standard fasteners? What would your choice be between those 3 and why?

Tracy, I have a lot of years into bikes like those and I can tell you that they all three use the same Whitworth fasteners.

Parts are getting pretty hard to find for all three unless they are pricey.

Out of the three you mentioned I would list them like this.
1.Triumph
2.Norton
3.BSA

Trumph would be my number one choice due to resale ability for one, and parts availability.

Have you considered the possibility of a newer bike done old school style?

My youngest son (Tyler) has a Honda Shadow 1,100 V twin bobber that looks just classic old school.
Old school looks but it has newer features, like electric fuel pump, good charging system (and modern function lights), signals, electric start, water cooled and best of all good reliability.
He has swept back drag pipes on it and it sounds like something to recon with and has great power and torque. (tops out at about 125mph)
He paid right at $1,700 for it and it has run perfect and reliable since day one.

Just a thought, as I have always said "It's nice to ride them back as well as out"

Anyway, my choice of the three you listed would be Tr. Trident or Bonneville.
(Trident being worth more)

The kids Shadow looks a lot like this bike only he has a full two person seat and a short windshield.

Attachments

• Shadow-Bobber.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 257
Big D cycle in Dallas has any Triumph parts you need. I have known the owner for 15 years, he has been around Triumphs since the 70s. Google Big D Cycle.

Cool Tracy. I've owned a few bikes as well, and been thinking about another one. I'm just going to go with a smaller "bobber" style this time. Something at least 400-600cc's, but just a toy to play around town with, and short trips. Keep us posted with what direction you're goin!

TBeast, that's a cool bike right there. And I would keep it like it is, solo seat!

Ever consider building a bike? New frame to avoid the DMV hassle and then bike swap meets, CL and FleaBay...

Had a friend that restored an old Bonneville, had nothing but electronic gremlins til he pulled the plug and sold it

Doug, I lost track of your bike build. How far along have you gotten?

I prefer the old British bikes too. I still have a '76 Bonneville 750 that I keep saying I'm going to break out again. I ran a Brit bike shop for about 5 years until I got bored with it and sold it off. Of the 3 Brit bikes mentioned of course Triumph is the most popular followed by BSA but the most valuable is going to be the Norton. Parts are still readily available (depending on model) for all 3 of them both new and used with sheet metal being the most costly and hardest to find

good luck

Pretty sure BSA and Norton also use whitworth threads.

Not british, but my project is a 1979 Yamaha RD400 Daytona Special that I'm installing front and rear suspension from a 250 Ninja.
I loved riding my old RD400 Daytona during the mid eighties it was the perfect city bike , that air cooled 2 stroke would smoke all my buddies on their Honda 750-4s and Kawi 650s , I was thinking o looking for 1 to play with recently

If you can wait or if you need parts go to Vintage Motorcycle days at Mid Ohio. I think you would be blown away. It is July 10-12. Same as Chrysler at Carlise but I will be at VMD. Google AMA Vintage Motorcycle days. Always some old Triumphs there as well as many of those dealing in Parts.

I recently saw a number of new bikes that were retro styled like they were from the 70's at a bike show. Brought back great memories and the itch to ride again.

Go with a Yamaha XS650.. lots of them out there... you can get a hard tail rear frame and bobber it. They look like a brit bike but run a lot better and parts are easy to come by

Attachments

• IMG00268-20120902-1257.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 196
I recently saw a number of new bikes that were retro styled like they were from the 70's at a bike show. Brought back great memories and the itch to ride again.

yea there are quite a few new ones out that have the retro look.. i picked up a new thruxton last year. fun bike. i'll tweak it to my liking a little at a time..

F6275CF3-4433-46D6-A2B1-59BF1B3793DA.jpg

I can hook you up. My buddy Kenny the Brit Bike Nut can fix you up with a nice Triumph. PM me if interested....

I always liked the old Honda café bikes. Like the Honda 350 Four.

Tracy, I know this is not one of the makes you mentioned, but chek 'em out. I don't know much about them, so no endorsement here, other than they are cool as heck. Here is a link to one for sale local to me: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcd/4906358396.html it is a Royal Enfield motorcycle. The original bike has been built in India since 1955 I think. They're still making them from 60's-70s parts / styleing. They're not very big, only 350 or 500 cc's unfortunately, but the cool factor is there! Here's a random picture of one:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 180
the Royal Enfield now is called the Enfield Bullet and is a updated version of the original Royal Enfield 500 cc is as large as it gets now. We used to do some warrentee work for one of the dealers locally. Fun bike but a train wreck when it comes to parts network for support
Now if someone would remake Ariel Square Four or Matchless Constellation again :blob::blob:

Tracy, I know this is not one of the makes you mentioned, but chek 'em out. I don't know much about them, so no endorsement here, other than they are cool as heck. Here is a link to one for sale local to me: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcd/4906358396.html it is a Royal Enfield motorcycle. The original bike has been built in India since 1955 I think. They're still making them from 60's-70s parts / styleing. They're not very big, only 350 or 500 cc's unfortunately, but the cool factor is there! Here's a random picture of one:

have a place down the road that sells those

If you want obscure but still made today how about one of these , this was taken in Victoria but I ran into this guy a couple of months later at the Canmore AB visitor center/ rest area . This is a newer model but a friend of mine has old one without the side car that he spends countless hours tinkering with , figures he rides about 1 hr for every 8 he spends tinkering , sounds like some peoples old cars eh !

Attachments

• IMG177.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 164
Or if you want cheap but very retro cool check out the Cleveland Cyclewerks offerings . If you buy be prepared to re-torque every nut and bolt on delivery as they had some early assembly issue's . That said I work with a fella that bought a Misfit from them and he uses it to commute over the Malahat mountain on a daily basis for the past 2 years without any issues since going over it when it was delivered .

Heck, Just get you one of these.. They ain't exactly cool, but people are pretty much giving them away. I've had this one for 25+ years. Great for farting around town..

Attachments

• Yamaha.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 165

Made in India now, back in the day those Enfields were the dope!

-
Back