Cleaning a dusty carb.

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I put a kit in it a couple years back and put maybe 50 miles on it. Pulled it, drained it and put on shelf. I'm thinking of maybe trying it again. Can I just lightly hose it down and blow dry? Or does it need to completely come apart?
Carter 4295S
Thanks
Steve

20220916_184138.jpg

20220916_184149.jpg

Blow and go. Worst thing is you will have to take it apart.

Most likely the accelerator pump will be dried out and some of the gaskets will be dry

My dart sat with fuel in the carb for 4+ years.(gas in the tank too)

A squirt of starter fluid and it fired up and ran fine.

Weeks after getting it smogged I rebuilt the carb, not one screw was tight. Fingers removed almost every screw that secured two parts with a gasket between.

Fill the carb with gas, if it has a leather pump cap it will swell it, and keep from damaging it

Thanks guys, yeah the car has sat since 2018 with gas in tank. Ive put fresh Premium gas and Seafoam, but it still is a hard start. This Carter carb is "fresh" but dusty.

Yikes Steve, trying to revive 4 year old gas might be a hard task. I think I'd drain it for the lawn mower, weed whacker, and possibly the snow thrower!

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking Dave. When I pulled it out of storage last year I put fresh gas in carb and oiled cylinders and fired right up. Since then put maybe 200 miles on it. Very hard to start, Eddy 1406 on it needs fuel poured down it to start.
The fresh Carter has been sitting for a while, I was leery of using compressed air too much.
Yikes Steve, trying to revive 4 year old gas might be a hard task. I think I'd drain it for the lawn mower, weed whacker, and possibly the snow thrower!

Did one of those 1967 Carbs, has the smaller leather accelerator pump.

Cleaned it out in the Ultrasonic Cleaner and ran it on the engine test run stand.

Like the way the newer 1406 Edelbrocks start and run better, they are easier to go in and rebuild also. Probably mostly because of the age of the 1967 carb, it is not what it used to be. But when you want to keep things all original . . . it can get you from point A to point B.

20220917_092016.jpg

Thanks Casey, I dont have a kit for the Eddy and was hoping to swap the Carter temporarily while I take apart eddy and see what's up with it. I replaced fuel filter, cleaned distributor rotor(end was black).
I may have to siphon out the fuel tank, or it may "clog" up another carb.
Did one of those 1967 Carbs, has the smaller leather accelerator pump.

Cleaned it out in the Ultrasonic Cleaner and ran it on the engine test run stand.

Like the way the newer 1406 Edelbrocks start and run better, they are easier to go in and rebuild also. Probably mostly because of the age of the 1967 carb, it is not what it used to be. But when you want to keep things all original . . . it can get you from point A to point B.

View attachment 1715986749

Want to take a rubber tipped air blower and make sure the air flows through and out the jets and comes out of the venturies when you have the top off the carb. Good to take the idle circuit screws out too and make sure they are blowing clean and polish up the idle mixture screws clean too. A few shots of carb cleaner here and blow it out can do wonders.

Want to make sure it is able to get the fuel it needs to run proper, and clean fuel.

Took it out for a good run this morning. Under load is fine, but coasting it stumbles and backfires thru ds exhaust. Drained about 25 litres of fuel out. Nothing really stood out to me as the fuel going bad? I always run premium and add seafoam every once in a while.
Next I will take Eddy off and blow air thru fuel line from mech. fuel pump back, remove carb and inspect.
Pull plugs (new Autolites) and inspect.
Pic is 1st container of fuel to drain. I hawked a big loogie in it after inhaling some gas.:BangHead: Other than the loogie it's pretty clean.

20220917_132654.jpg

Take your steel fuel filter off and pour it into a plastic container. See if there is any grit or rust particles in it.

Back blow it and put it back on.

Put a white paper Towel over the inlet to catch anything as you are back blowing It. If there is crap in it, it will show up there.

Car doesn't sound too bad Steve, but kinda' worried about you at the 26 second of the video!:D:steering: Ya' might run it in the dark and look for spark scatter/arching.

Lol, man I really sound old lol. Sounded like a heart attack coming on. If it was earlier in the morning there coulda been a problem.
Took it for a 50 mile run tonight and topped up with more premium. Costs more than the damned boat...
Seems to have cleared up a lot. "Fine" tuning on carb and check plugs.
I noticed my fuel gauge now doesn't work! While siphoning the tank I bet I hit the sender with the fn hose! Leave that for the winter...
Car doesn't sound too bad Steve, but kinda' worried about you at the 26 second of the video!:D:steering: Ya' might run it in the dark and look for spark scatter/arching.

Last edited:
-
Back