Cleaning an Alternator

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What is the proper cleaning agent to use to clean a dissasembled alternator,???. can you clean the individual parts in a regular parts cleaner, with solvent, ???.
I know you can use electronic spray cleaners. I was thinking of cleaning mine in the parts washer, then spray it off with electronic cleaner.
My plans are to install new brushes, diodes etc. But it is realy dirty.
What do you use,???.

Dave

Only thing that comes to my mind is be sure whatever you use doesn't dissolve the lacquer (i think) coating on the windings

Take it a part & media blast it. Just so you get the idea. I did mine last year.

20161219_120655.jpg

You can clean the case in your parts washer. I generally get as much off that way before media blasting. If you aren't going to media blast it, just wash it well, and scrub it with a stiff brush. I like to use a brass bristle brush on aluminum. In a pinch you could even clean it with brake cleaner. Blow it dry with compressed air. How clean you want it is up to you.

Just make sure whatever you use, and popular electronics/ brake/ engine cleaners wont.........dissolve the wire insulation. Carb cleaners you don't want

I restore them and use a ultrasonic cleaner with special solvent then media blast them with a super fine media

-
Back