Cleaning Block for Head Install

-

w8n2cagr81

Reaction score
The All-US-Manufacturer Ranch (Chrysler, Ford, GM)
We have had the head rebuilt on our slant 6 225 in a 1968 Valiant, used as an everyday driver. During rebuild time, the block has acquired minor corrosion in the cylinders and on the head face, and I'd like some guidance on the rust removal, along with any words of wisdom for the rebuild. If there are other posts that address the cleaning specifically, please pass links along. Thanks for a great site and your experience.
Dawn & Bob

Minor? Can you post a picture?
I have seen scotch brite pads do a good job on “Minor rust”
Not joking.....

Minor? Can you post a picture?
I have seen scotch brite pads do a good job on “Minor rust”
Not joking.....

Yeah, that was my first thought too. Hand-rubbed scotch-brite on the cylinder walls (red?) with kerosene or motor oil as a lubricant. Then clean the cylinder walls with solvent and lightly oil the walls to finish up.

I'd use a Roloc scotch-brite disc on the deck surface.

Steel wool brake cleaner and a shop vac to suck up crude coming off. Once your ready to install I shoot and lube the bore with p.b blaster

We have had the head rebuilt on our slant 6 225 in a 1968 Valiant, used as an everyday driver. During rebuild time, the block has acquired minor corrosion in the cylinders and on the head face, and I'd like some guidance on the rust removal, along with any words of wisdom for the rebuild. If there are other posts that address the cleaning specifically, please pass links along. Thanks for a great site and your experience.
Dawn & Bob

Rumblefish has you on this.
I like oil with it so it keeps anything from spreading or falling down between the cylinder and piston.

-
Back