cleaning fuel line

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
Is there a way to clean, or should I replace. 1965 Barracuda Formula S. Replaced the fuel tank, rubber hoses and fuel pump. I'm not getting any fuel to the carb. Disconnected the fuel line and tried to blow compressed air back toward the tank, but had no success, it seems to be stopped up somewhere. Thanks for your advise.

If it's that bad it probably should be replaced.

You might try ramming a semi-stiff wire through each end and see if that helps. (thin wire coat hanger?) I just saw that Eastwood sells an aerosol spray can with a funnel tip that they say can be used to clean out fuel and brake lines. I don't know how effective that would be. I doubt it would have more pressure that an air compressor and I don't know how effective the cleaner solution is.

I'm in a similar situation as I just dropped the tank in my 64 Valiant a couple days ago. It's been off the road since 1982. I was working on the rear brakes when all of a sudden the fuel tank decided to start leaking! Rust under the strap so there are pin holes. The inside of the tank looks almost new and is very clean. I used a scope to check the inside and although it looked good, I can definitely see holes. I have a new tank, sock, float, etc. on order but have not checked the main line yet, DOH! Gotta do that tonight. I may be in the same dilemma as you.

Always something isn't it. I need to get these problems done so I can Apply paint to the exterior.

Tank and filters are new. Fuel pump and rubber lines are new as well. Carb is rebuilt and running non ethanol gas. I'll disconnect it all Monday and blow out each piece and see if I can get it to flow. If not, I'll buy a new one. There not very expensive.

Looks as though they would be more simple to replace than the brake lines were

Take the hose loose at the tank unit and see if it still has blockage. My 74 Cuda had a clog in the tank unit tube that I was able to cure with a piece of frayed speedo cable in a drill....

if you get air to blow through at the pump,make sure it didnt blow the sock off at the sender,the new ones are not on very good.sounds like the hard line is plugged

I have replaced those with new, but thanks for the idea. Just looking in the wish book, What size lines would be in a 65 Barracuda Formula S. 5/16 or 3/8? Classic Industries have them for 58.99. I should have had these ordered with last weeks order so shipping would have been free.
I believe these are 5/16 in lines

I disconnect the line from the tank and used air to blow back from the front. Before I replaced the tank and hoses I would blow back and you could here the fuel gurgle in the tank. Not any more. You can tell its stopped up somewhere.

not yet. Will try that Monday, Thanks for the idea though

-
Back