Cleaning parts in the shower?

-

340john

Reaction score
Rani's question about cleaning parts in the shower got me thinking, are there any other "different" ways or out of the ordinary "tools" you use for cleaning part or restoring your cars? I have a dishwasher and an oven (both $10 yard sale finds) in my garage. The dishwasher I hook up a garden hose and drain out to a french drain I installed, great for cleaning small parts. The oven is great for powder coating. A clothesline (the kind with pulleys and a rope) is great for hanging parts to be painted, and I can move the line like a conveyor. There are hundreds I'm sure...let's hear 'em.

i also took an old tuff shed and filled it with sand .....instant sand blast cabinet big enough the fit big items like fenders or hoods ......

the only bad thing about that is again you have to get in with the part ....you have to cover up good with the sand and use ear plugs respirator, splash proof goggles and cover your hair.

but it works good for items that would never fit a little blast cabinet

I go to Home Depot and buy silica sand (I know it's dangerous, so I use a respirator) then use my trusty Sears cheapo suction-style sandblaster, fill up a large bucket with the sand, and let 'er rip! All the sand goes bye-bye all over the yard but no biggie. It's not terribly expensive, and I always have fresh sand.

For actual parts cleaning, including big parts.....I use the ol' trusty Harbor Freight Super Heavy Duty Degreaser and one of these large stucco mixing tubs from Home Depot. Look.....only $12.65 and they also work great for servicing your automatic trannys! WINNINNGGG!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-gallon-heavy-duty-degreaser-42998.html

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-M...ENT_ID&langId=-1&storeId=10051&searchNav=true
md-YMvl5ze4Yvb9xFAqgZHg.jpg

I go to Home Depot and buy silica sand (I know it's dangerous, so I use a respirator) then use my trusty Sears cheapo suction-style sandblaster, fill up a large bucket with the sand, and let 'er rip! All the sand goes bye-bye all over the yard but no biggie. It's not terribly expensive, and I always have fresh sand.

For actual parts cleaning, including big parts.....I use the ol' trusty Harbor Freight Super Heavy Duty Degreaser and one of these large stucco mixing tubs from Home Depot. Look.....only $12.65 and they also work great for servicing your automatic trannys! WINNINNGGG!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-gallon-heavy-duty-degreaser-42998.html

http://www.homedepot.com/Building-M...ENT_ID&langId=-1&storeId=10051&searchNav=true
md-YMvl5ze4Yvb9xFAqgZHg.jpg

Silica??????????? Even with a respirator, you're taking too many chances in my opinion. It might be okay now, but give it a few years.

Okay, I'm off my sand oops soap box now. Continue on ............. :)

Besides the shower? Lol used old tub out side for awhile and even the dog house from a van. Mostly just a bottle of super clean and something to scrub

Silica??????????? Even with a respirator, you're taking too many chances in my opinion. It might be okay now, but give it a few years.

Yeah, okay CudaChick.....I'll make sure I'm extra careful from now on. :eek:ops:I'm not super worried, mostly because where I live, it's always windy as hell. I make sure my body is always "upwind" of the parts I'm blasting too.

Yeah, okay CudaChick.....I'll make sure I'm extra careful from now on. :eek:ops:I'm not super worried, mostly because where I live, it's always windy as hell. I make sure my body is always "upwind" of the parts I'm blasting too.

Ohhhh, I see you live in Hesperia. Never mind then ... you've got so much High Desert sand blowing around on a daily basis you probably don't need a respirator. :D

<< San Bernardino resident for too many years lol

The appeal of saving some coin media blasting in an unsafe manner just aint worth increasing the likelihood of getting copd........being short of breath SUCKS......and once it starts the best you do is slow it's progression from what I understand.....

Actually, ladygirl, I did not know this, THANKS!!

Yup the Mistress of Metal is giving some good info there.

If you do use silica sand at least wear a proper respirator with at the lowest a P95 or N95 filter but I use a P100 (HEPA) as I'm dealing with mould spores, silica, asbestos and lead particles. And have lots of ventilation to remove the dust if possible.

Silica can be some nasty stuff if you get exposed to enough of it....

Silicosis is a disease caused by the prolonged breathing of crystalline silica dust. Fine particles deposited in the lungs cause thickening and scarring of the lung tissue. Crystalline silica exposure has also been linked to lung cancer.
A worker may develop any of the following three types of silicosis, depending on the concentrations of silica dust and the duration of exposure:

• Chronic silicosis - develops after 10 or more years of exposure to crystalline silica at relatively low concentrations.
  • Accelerated silicosis - develops 5 to 10 years after initial exposure to crystalline silica at high concentrations.
  • Acute silicosis - symptoms develop anywhere from a few weeks to 4-5 years after exposure to very high concentrations of crystalline silica.
Initially, workers with silicosis may have no symptoms. However, as the disease progresses a worker may experience:

• Shortness of breath
  • Severe cough
  • Weakness
These symptoms can worsen over time and lead to death.

-
Back