Clearance issues with new headers.

-

MOPARFIVE

Midwest Moparz
Reaction score
Hey team, Running into issue with passenger side idler arm hitting header on install. Any ideas what is the fix? New set of hedman headers in a 74 Duster with 318. Had headers on it with no issue. Installed new ones and passenger side hits idler arm/tie rod bad. I'd have to cave header in a lot to clear it. Spool motor mounts and power steering. Crazy part is the driver side fit great. Any ideas. I really don't want to put the old rusty headers back on it. Would the chassis need to be under load to line up? Right now on jack stands.

Last edited:
Wow, I have no idea, I put headers on my 74 Dart Sport 318 with spool mounts with no interference on the passenger side. Now, the driver side was a whole nuther subject, lol. Perhaps post a pic or two.

Are the engine mounts and transmission mount new ?

The obvious, have you contacted the people who make them ? Hooker ? The post says new Hookers, right ?

Last edited:
Yep, they hit the idler too. A little better at the steering box.
No issues at all with steering box or driver side header. It really fits well and it has a lot less room. I never imagined passenger side would be the problem. I would have to put a relief in header of at least 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch deep maybe deeper. The old one that was removed was also a hedman but was 25 years old. It fit with no issues. Perplexed.

Space the motor biscuits/mounts or ding the header tube. It will cook the idler over & over and will continuously need replacement due to bump steer...especially at higher speeds with road imperfections if you do not remedy it.
That was my biggest concern was it would destroy idler arms pretty regular due to heat.

untighten all the bolts on the passanger side motormount lift engine alitle,tighten them up again,that might give you just alitle more clearance by just using the tolerances, if not enough see if you can make a shim to fit betwen transmission and its mount.. still not enough? floorjack under collector and push it up,might just gain alitle clearance further forward.
might just help

sorry just noticed im way late on this subject.

-
Back