Click when trying to start

-

Phil21502

Reaction score
twice is the past week when I’ve gone to start my 74 dart sport 318 it has just clicked once when I turn the key to start it. If I turn it off and back on it has started. Any ideas?

Possible corrosion on battery terminal?

J.

Could be a bad ignition switch or possibly a bad starter relay or even a bad starter solenoid. As above, check all connections first.

Bought a cheap negative cable at Carlisle a few years ago. Had the same problem.

All connection good, including the neutral safety switch (automatic I assume). If it's a newer style mini starter it needs a solenoid. Or just replace the starter. I have seen many that the solenoid contacts corrode for some reason.

Most times I've had this problem, it was #1 Weak battery, #2 starter relay, #3 corroded cables. Next time it does it, try jumping across the posts on the starter relay.

Inside the starter is a contact ring that contacts to your main power post. The post wears down over time and may make an intermittent contact. The fix is to replace it and of course grease up the starter while you've got it apart. If you do nothing it'll only get worse and leave you stranded somewhere you don't want to be.

-
Back