Closer to going racing again

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
Parts of my motor were at 3 different machine shops in the last week!
Rotating assembly is now balanced to 1/2 gram.
Rotating assembly is now at a different shop being put in the block and tolerances being checked.
Heads are at yet another shop getting valve job.
I don't have the tools to check bearing clearances and crankshaft end play, that's why I have it at a machine shop. Only problem is he can't get to it for 2 weeks.
In the mean time I'm getting the other stuff cleaned up and ready to go together.
This motor was taken apart May 2021 and I've been waiting on parts since then. Last year was a crazy year for parts. Still is now. Funny thing is I pulled the motor and tranny because the tranny went out! It was rebuilt and back to me in a week!

Waited 6 months for these babies!
20220523_153740.jpg
20220523_153728.jpg

What do they go in?
5.7 based Gen3 Hemi stroker. I've been through hell trying to get this motor put back together due to parts availability and a machine shop that didn't know what they were doing. I've had to have a lot of machine work redone, actually they bored my old block out past safety tolerance to stick pistons in it that were available, so we had to start over with another block but at least this one had never been touched. One nice thing is the situation caused me to find an excellent cylinder head shop in the area.

Looks like you'll have a little squeeze with those pistons. What is your projected comp ratio? Brand?

5.7 based Gen3 Hemi stroker. I've been through hell trying to get this motor put back together due to parts availability and a machine shop that didn't know what they were doing. I've had to have a lot of machine work redone, actually they bored my old block out past safety tolerance to stick pistons in it that were available, so we had to start over with another block but at least this one had never been touched. One nice thing is the situation caused me to find an excellent cylinder head shop in the area.

Oh WOW! On both accounts. Bad machine shop work and a good cylinder head shop. 2 weeks seems like a long time and even more so when added to the fiasco.

UPDATE: Plagued by minor setbacks.
1. Ordered custom pistons and was told the old wrist pins looked good and would work so didn't order pins with pistons. I'll bet you all know where this is going! Yep, new wrist pins on order from Ross.
2. Heads that I paid someone else to freshen had to be taken to a good cylinder head shop and have good valve job done and surfaced. Got them back the same week!
3. Freshen guy forgot to take the spring cages off the old springs and transfer them to new springs and I never looked until I got them back from new valve job, so had to remove every spring and install cages. Thank goodness I kept the old springs that had the cages on them!
Still have to degree the cam and check valve to piston clearance.
Waiting on new pins, should be in next week some time. meanwhile, race weekends come....and go. :BangHead:
20220621_173532.jpg

Tough to buy anything , I paid a large deposit for two new Peterbilt's 8 month's ago and still have no idea when they will arrive

UPDATE: New wrist pins are at the machine shop. Crank bearings are correct size, crank end play is good. Shop ordered rod bearings and measured first, so we are good there. Expecting a call from him any day to come and get it. Spent $95 on a Comp crank socket for the Comp degree wheel. Hard to find one for Gen III hemi so I had to spend $$ for the thing. Then it comes in and the threads were boogered up enough that I had to spend about 30 minutes with a file to get the nut to thread onto it! I swear Comp's quality control is getting worse and worse

UPDATE: If you were wondering why I've taken my motor to a different machine shop:
He just called me. I threw the crank in the block to take it over to him using the bearings from when the "other" shop installed the crank for me.
He told me that the main bearings appear to be from 2 different sets! One brand for the uppers and something else for the lowers! He is measuring and getting a decent set of main bearings.
I've basically taken it and had everything the other shop did checked out. Turns out most of it has had to be redone. I will not trash talk him to other racers but if anybody asks me I will tell them the truth about this shop. I should have avoided him when I realized that the racing motors he's built for himself keep breaking down and outright blowing up!

-
Back